Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Gold Trigger

tohm

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short take up, glass break, no over travel, super short reset. The additional built in safety is a huge benefit too. Ultimately it comes down to one characteristic to rule them all... I shoot more accurately with it than any other trigger I've run. Of course this thread will spark off an arguement about which trigger is best, and many will say something other than AR Gold. And of course the canned answer will be to try them all and go with the one that works best for you. I've run many of the top triggers and in the end liked the AR Gold so much I dropped the coin and put them in all of my rifles. Even my bugout rifle. Lots of great triggers out there. I like this one.

You should try an AR-Gold before you switch. I do really think Mike is correct and it is at the top of the heap. However, I personally do not like 2-stage triggers. Sure, if I got them and put in some practice time, I think they would become my preference. But swapping them all out would make me miss a mortgage payment.

I like the AR Gold, but is it better than a JP? No. As Mark said it is a 2 stage trigger. It is a real light 2 stage. It is a matter of preference. I have both of those triggers, and the JP rifle gets the call most of the time.

I don't know how you can get a trigger to feel better than the JP in our game. Clean, short, and fast. I put them in mine and all my friends who shoot mine. I'm sure AR Gold is nice, but I have no desire to change something that needs no improvement.

I don't know how you can get a trigger to feel better than the JP in our game. Clean, short, and fast. I put them in mine and all my friends who shoot mine. I'm sure AR Gold is nice, but I have no desire to change something that needs no improvement.

Ya that's what my thinking was until I tried one. I have JP in all my rifles but 1 that one has the AR Gold and I am looking around the shop to figure out what to sell to buy more. The feel,break and reset are the best and I just don't want to go back.

Has some to do with how you run them. On mid to long range, there is little to no difference if you have the JP set up right. On short range, once you get to feel how the AR-Gold can be used to decrease splits and even transitions with what I consider to be a greater margin of safety, then you can appreciate the AR-Gold. When 80% of our rifle targets are 100 yards and in and the speed on the rifle is becoming a larger part of the game, it matters. For a top pro, shooting speed stages like we have in the 3GN Pro series, or even the TXMG match, those decreased splits on hoser rifle can make the difference between first and 5th.

OH ya I forgot to mention about split times. I was struggling with splits with JP getting lots of trigger freeze etc.. and after a couple of sessions with the AR Gold I can run splits like I do with my pistol now.

Mark is right more and more courses of fire are close up rifle for 80% of the match where you really need that fast trigger!

With that question, you are getting into the splitting hairs part of trigger selection. This is also the person to person subjective part. I, me, personally... running my 308 with the JP trigger, get .19 splits. The same rifle with AR Gold and I run .17 splits. In AR15 I get a similar variance... .17 with a JP trigger and .15 with AR Gold. The AR10 is an inherently slower platform than the AR15. You get much below .15 and you might outrun the bolt. In terms of speed the AR Gold feels almost identical to my 1911 triggers. So for speed the AR Gold is more intuitive to my 1911 muscle memory. I've never been a twitchy speed freak though. My shooting tends to be more paced and methodical and I find time in footwork and course fluidity. I can hold my own on large field courses, but put me on a stand up speed course (like most USPSA classifiers) and I am lackluster at best. So for me .02s really isn't enough difference for me to switch. Other shooting styles would benefit more from the faster splits than I do. I personally am more accurate with the AR Gold. I can hit better from 50yds to 600yds. Are the benefits enough better to warrant spending $300 to try it out... only you can decide. As I stated earlier. I really like JP triggers and have run them in several rifles in the past. I've also run Jard (excellent, but a pain to install), Gieselle (don't remember the exact model, but it was good), LMT (just OK), RR (also just OK). I've not run a Timney, other than to dry snap a buddies. If you think there is room to improve your game by running a different trigger, then try one. If you have a good trigger you are happy with and are able to hit anything the MDs throw at you, then don't try to fix what aint broke. To expand upon something Mark wrote earlier. That if he were to switch triggers it would cost a lot of money. In shooting sports of all types, consistency is important. I tried to run a mix of triggers and found that it was negatively effecting my performance. Mark has a safe full of JP triggers and knows that he would not be able to get away with buying just one. I've shot with Mark and he has no trouble hitting anything on the range out to 500 meters plus. No need for him to fix what aint broke and he highly values consistency from rifle to rifle.

What co-exprs says above says it better than I could.

I haven't run AR's as long and hard as others but couldn't hit targets well at all with GI triggers. Got a AR Gold and did not take me long to get into tune with the rifle and start hitting targets. Feel of trigger is right in line with my 1911's.

I learned to shoot my rifle well with the AR Gold trigger because that is what I had and it fit my style of shooting. There are a lot of good triggers out there. I also have a JP and Timney triggers but have shot the AR Gold the most.

AR Gold use to have on there web site if you bought trigger from them and didn't like it you could return it no questions asked for refund within 30 days!

It is a personal preference thing, like others have said. I have tried the AR Gold, I like a JP that was installed at JP better. I just don't like the take up of the AR Gold. It is in a box around here somewhere.

Hurley

Has some to do with how you run them. On mid to long range, there is little to no difference if you have the JP set up right. On short range, once you get to feel how the AR-Gold can be used to decrease splits and even transitions with what I consider to be a greater margin of safety, then you can appreciate the AR-Gold. When 80% of our rifle targets are 100 yards and in and the speed on the rifle is becoming a larger part of the game, it matters. For a top pro, shooting speed stages like we have in the 3GN Pro series, or even the TXMG match, those decreased splits on hoser rifle can make the difference between first and 5th.

How is the 2 stage trigger faster with a longer total pull?

It's not a tradtional AR 2-stage, with a long trigger pull and not very short reset. The AR Gold literally feels like a 1911 trigger. It's not like when others describe AR triggers as feeling like a 1911 trigger when it absolutely does not. The AR Gold is exactly like having a custom 1911 trigger in your AR.

Thanks for the answer. I doubt that I am going to run out and buy all new triggers; I was just curious if one of the happy AR Gold users could put into words why they thought it helped to shoot faster. While the 4lb, single-stage Timney may not be exactly like a 1911 trigger, I can say that when I switch from the AR to my STI—with the tuned 4lb Dawson trigger job—I hardly notice any difference. I can definitely appreciate the advantage of having all one's triggers feel pretty similar!

I have a few 1911/2011 pistols all with excellent trigger jobs. The AR Gold triggers are slightly better than my best 1911 triggers. The take up is shorter, the break is even more crisp, the over travel is shorter and the reset is also shorter. Funny how I mentioned earlier that if you get below a .15 split on an AR10 you could outrun the bolt... well it happened to me yesterday morning at the Pueblo Tac Rifle match and on the speed stage. The subsiquent recharge killed my score. I'm not a fast trigger puller but the AR Gold is the only trigger fast enough for me to outrun the bolt on a 308 (on rare occasion). Should probably lay off the Rock Star energy drinks. :)

I have a few 1911/2011 pistols all with excellent trigger jobs. The AR Gold triggers are slightly better than my best 1911 triggers. The take up is shorter, the break is even more crisp, the over travel is shorter and the reset is also shorter. Funny how I mentioned earlier that if you get below a .15 split on an AR10 you could outrun the bolt... well it happened to me yesterday morning at the Pueblo Tac Rifle match and on the speed stage. The subsiquent recharge killed my score. I'm not a fast trigger puller but the AR Gold is the only trigger fast enough for me to outrun the bolt on a 308 (on rare occasion). Should probably lay off the Rock Star energy drinks. :)

I discourage myself from stating that publicly because doing so would seem to reduce the mystique of a good 1911 trigger job. The fact that you can get that type of a trigger in drop-in format seems mind boggling.

While we are talking triggers, I tried a Noveske short throw safety: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-action-parts/safety-parts/safeties/ar-15-short-throw-selector-prod54684.aspx and they are awesome. Everytime I work on one of my personal ARs from here on, one of these is going into the lower. Work great with AR-Golds!

Is the ambidextrous the way to go for a right hand shooter? I like the short throw idea a lot.

I wanted an ambi a few times when I did not have one, so I opted for the ambi. The cool thing is that the right side lever is short, but you can actually feel it the position of the safety lever just at the top of the right hand. For matches like CTC, that little extra amount on tactile feel is nice to ensure the safety it in the correct position. So for $2 more, I say yes.