Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Barrels

jetdriver71

Looks pretty damn tight to me.....at 50 yds with a c-more you are aiming at a area (offhand) and then it is more on the shooter than the barrel.

You're only "aiming at an area" if you don't know what you're doing. And, shooting offhand is never going to give you as clear a picture of what the gun is capable of as benching the gun (a clearer picture of what the shooter can do without assistance? Yes, of course... But that's not what we're talking about...)

If the barrel isn't capable of the accuracy, the shooter can't magically make it shoot better - in order to do that, you'd have to have a crystal ball that told you exactly how far off the next shot will be vs. the previous one, and adjust from there. Regardless of what you think, a group shot by a person holding the gun (rested or not) will never be better than the mechanical accuracy of the system, and frequently will be significantly worse (especially offhand) - and, after fitting to the gun, the gun will never be more accurate than the barrel is capable of on it's own in a well built test rig (ie, where nothing moves from shot to shot). So, what they're showing here is the best possible case with the two loads in question (which is entirely reasonable, given that they're demonstrating the accuracy of the barrel itself). Once the gun is fully built with that barrel, and a human being is shooting it, it will never perform better than what you see in those images - depending on the human and the build, it might perform to that level, but it will not exceed it.

My point was - while the pictures Julien posted show very solid potential accuracy for the barrel, it's not better than any other quality barrel on the market (emphasis on quality). Certainly not incredible or unbelievable. It's certainly in the range of what you'd expect and desire in a custom built gun.

ETA - I don't know what load the pic on the right is above, or exactly what Lawman load they used on the left. Some well built, match grade ammo might eek some more performance out of those tests... But, who knows...

Edited by XRe

Looks pretty damn tight to me.....at 50 yds with a c-more you are aiming at a area (offhand) and then it is more on the shooter than the barrel.

You're only "aiming at an area" if you don't know what you're doing.

I agree, I am totally lost in this game budddy...

Edited by DrawandDuck

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find that i can more "easily" shoot a tighter group with my SVI than my STI......same ammo ect

post-24914-0-16235400-1391893892_thumb.j

Now the guns are tuned up and yes the SVI is heavier....but the AET is just easier to get a tight grouping.....just say'n.

• 3 months later...

If I uderstand this correctly, plated bullets are not ok? Would that include moly? Bare lead is good? I had heard that SVI was using a different twist than the Schuemman is it more plated friendly?

Depends on who you ask. I've got a new barrel in my 5.4 and it still won't shoot a nice group with plated. Moly and lead are fine.

• 2 weeks later...