Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription Shooting Glasses or Contacts

tkill12

I have always just worn my contacts when shooting (with regular shooting glasses). I have read a lot about other shooters using prescription shooting glasses and it makes me wonder if they would work better than contacts for me? I am near-sighted, with an astigmatism. I don't wear bifocals.

So what are the pros and cons of prescription shooting glasses versus contacts. I can't afford to buy prescription shooting glasses just to try them out. If they will help me in some way, I'd be glad to put down the money though.

I shoot a 1911 with bomar rear and fiber optic front. Shooting NRA Action Pistol and IDPA.

the only con I have found is that I cant afford to get multiple lenses in perscription so I cant changes lenses wich sucks I like to changes them. lol I have some photochromatic red lenses and love them especially with a F/O front sight. I cant wear contacts so it was a no brainer for me. I love mine.

I went to contacts for shooting just last summer and love them. As a matter of fact you'll rarely see me in my glasses anymore. For me the advantages of contacts over glasses for shooting are big but I've worn small frame glasses for years. If you wear a larger frame with a standard lens design you probably won't notice as much of a difference as I did. For me the fact that I could move my eyes and see without having to move my head all the time was massive. I read on here about "snapping your eyes" and if you wear glasses with a modern single vision lens design (aspheric) that doesn't work well. The lenses are specifically engineered where the prescription is only really "usable" in the OC (optical center) of the lens. More than a couple millimeters away from that and the prescription is different. Contacts eliminate that by moving with your eye. You don't end up looking over, beside, etc your lenses and totally loosing your vision. IMO, contacts over glasses for shooting. I sure don't plan on going back until I have to!

Anyone who has shot the High Desert Classic the last couple of years can give you a big huge con to wearing contacts - several people had a really bad time with all the blowing sand getting in their contacts. I would think that getting a set of shooting glasses with the prescription inserts (so you can change lenses easily) would be the way to go - I'm sure someone using that setup will chime in here and give you some advice. Good luck!

Hi,

I'm in the process of try to get contacts that will work for my 50 year old eyes. My issue is how do you get a clear site picture and still see the targets.

If any one has done that please advise the best way. I'm on the second pair of contacts and still trying to figue out the rite combination. I think my issue

is I have never had to wear glass before.

John

Hi,

I'm in the process of try to get contacts that will work for my 50 year old eyes. My issue is how do you get a clear site picture and still see the targets.

If any one has done that please advise the best way. I'm on the second pair of contacts and still trying to figue out the rite combination. I think my issue

John

Do some searching here on monovision. Dominate eye set up for sharp focus on front sight, other eye for infinity. I took the gamble and like it, it doesn't work for some.

Hi,

John

Do some searching here on monovision. Dominate eye set up for sharp focus on front sight, other eye for infinity. I took the gamble and like it, it doesn't work for some.

Monovision? Where do I find a link?

I know you mentioned not wanting to drop large coin on glasses unless you are sure they will work. When that time comes I can't recommend the Rudy Project line enough. I don't wear prescription glasses myself but I do wear the Rudy Project Genetyks and plenty of shooters I know wear prescription Rudy's and swear by them.

Check them out at ERudy.com and don't forget the 35% discount when you use the code "2 alpha". This deal will make good glasses more affordable than you might think.

I have a small Rx in my glasses 0.25 & 0.45 on my right eye. not much but I like having sharp focus when I shoot Dot guns. For Iron sights I take my RX insert out of my glasses. The Rudy's have a clip in frame that hold the RX inserts. So I can go from any color lens.

Even if the dust was not blowing shooting with smoke / lead dust that could get trapped under the contacts does not sound very good to me. I end up Roing quite a bit so I end up in the lead smoke some times too. Them darn SS lead smokers

Sarge types faster than me , the Gentyks are the only Rudy's that I have that do not have the nose piece that accepts Rx inserts. I under stand that I can get a nose piece that will let me use them though.

I spent $100 to get the Rx cut into the insert from a local Opt. they had it done in a day with my Astigmatism

Edited by AlamoShooter

So, the only downside I'm hearing for contacts is the dust/smoke getting in them and causing problems.

The biggest pro seems to be that they move with your eye and there is no distortion like there would be on the edges of a prescription lens.

Sounds like I will stick with the contacts for now.

I will have to check out the Rudy project glasses next time I need to replace my shooting glasses.

I read on here about "snapping your eyes" and if you wear glasses with a modern single vision lens design (aspheric) that doesn't work well. The lenses are specifically engineered where the prescription is only really "usable" in the OC (optical center) of the lens. More than a couple millimeters away from that and the prescription is different. Contacts eliminate that by moving with your eye. You don't end up looking over, beside, etc your lenses and totally loosing your vision. IMO, contacts over glasses for shooting. I sure don't plan on going back until I have to!

You can snap your eyes all you want with Oakley prescription lenses. I started wearing glasses 6-7 years ago, went to contacts for a long time, but started having problems with them (even daily wear replaceable lenses). I ordered a pair of Oakley Half Jackets with Iridium Black lenses for the bright sun in NM and the first time I put them on I couldn't believe it. You can literally keep your head straight, and look out the very corner of the lens and everything is in perfect focus. My eye doc was all excited to check them out when I got them....he couldn't say enough about how good the lenses are, but they're pricey. With a law enforcement account at US Standard Issue (Oakleys gov't/LEO program) they run about $150 or less for tinted lenses and about $125 for clear lenses. I got a second pair in clear for indoors because I like them so much. R,

So, the only downside I'm hearing for contacts is the dust/smoke getting in them and causing problems.

The biggest pro seems to be that they move with your eye and there is no distortion like there would be on the edges of a prescription lens.

Sounds like I will stick with the contacts for now.

I will have to check out the Rudy project glasses next time I need to replace my shooting glasses.

See my note above about the Oakleys (and I was shooting in NM with the dust when I got them!). No distortion on the edges. R,

I read on here about "snapping your eyes" and if you wear glasses with a modern single vision lens design (aspheric) that doesn't work well. The lenses are specifically engineered where the prescription is only really "usable" in the OC (optical center) of the lens. More than a couple millimeters away from that and the prescription is different. Contacts eliminate that by moving with your eye. You don't end up looking over, beside, etc your lenses and totally loosing your vision. IMO, contacts over glasses for shooting. I sure don't plan on going back until I have to!

You can snap your eyes all you want with Oakley prescription lenses. I started wearing glasses 6-7 years ago, went to contacts for a long time, but started having problems with them (even daily wear replaceable lenses). I ordered a pair of Oakley Half Jackets with Iridium Black lenses for the bright sun in NM and the first time I put them on I couldn't believe it. You can literally keep your head straight, and look out the very corner of the lens and everything is in perfect focus. My eye doc was all excited to check them out when I got them....he couldn't say enough about how good the lenses are, but they're pricey. With a law enforcement account at US Standard Issue (Oakleys gov't/LEO program) they run about $150 or less for tinted lenses and about $125 for clear lenses. I got a second pair in clear for indoors because I like them so much. R,

You're right, the Oakley lenses are very nice and you got a SMOKING price on them. I work for the company that owns Oakley and that's about my price for them. Prescription (some) lenses can be cut to fit the Half Jackets. Most of the lenses that come back from Oakley have been, what I'm pretty sure are spherical lenses which defiantly keeps the Rx closer across the lens especially if you don't have a major prescription. After a certain point no matter what the lens you're going to start "loosing" the prescription as you get away from the optical center. The axis and the amount of the astigmatism also plays into it.

I guess the short version is that there's more than just grinding up some Lexan and sticking it in a frame that goes into any lens, not just sunglasses or dress. Without knowing the prescription, frame size / shape, persons PD, etc... It's really hard to say one way or the other if glasses might or might not be an improvement over contacts.

Either way, if you aren't struggling horridly with vision I don't think one or the other will take a C class shooter and make him/her a Master... Now if you are, that's a different story! And PLEASE get to your eye doctor!

Where did you get the Oakleys for that price? My eye doctor says they're over $300 for prescription Oakleys.

With a law enforcement account at US Standard Issue (Oakleys gov't/LEO program)...

$300 is closer to what the "rest" B);) of us would pay. And G-Man says that's the price for the lenses. Some Oakley frames alone cost over $200.00 dollars.

I have these in Rx and nonRx and I agree with G-man. I think where contacts really come into their own is hot humid weather, which we have here 9 months of the year. Vented lenses really help. The Half Jackets really work even in the dusty wind anywhere-you just have to keep them on all the time, tight. So-go for contacts focused to front sight in shooting eye and to target or around 15yds for other eye. Get prescription glasses for backup. The best sunglasses are Maui Jims-they are not carbonate however-I use them a lot, just not at matches. Flak Jackets are good, too.

Where did you get the Oakleys for that price? My eye doctor says they're over $300 for prescription Oakleys.

With a law enforcement account at US Standard Issue (Oakleys gov't/LEO program)...

$300 is closer to what the "rest" B);) of us would pay. And G-Man says that's the price for the lenses. Some Oakley frames alone cost over $200.00 dollars.

Your point about different prescriptions is a good one. I have a fairly mild correction and didn't think about how a big jump might change that.

I should have been more specific about the price. The price I quoted was both lenses and frames, and now that I think about it, I probably should have checked the agreement before I mentioned it :surprise:

My eye doc shook his head when I told him (he asked) what I paid for them and he said street price would normally be $300-400. I like them so much I'd probably pay full price if I had to. I will say that I use them as an instructor all the time, and any time I go on a raid I wear the clear pair....so at least they really are getting used for work purposes.

Oakley rocks and I've had more than a few people ask to look at them when they notice they look a little different (edge of the lens) and ask if they're prescription. Hopefully that's gotten them some good PR or business for their generosity. R,

I started out using the E-Rudy Rydon's with the perscription inserts. Had the first set of inserts set up for my normal bi-focal. I then had inserts set up for right eye close and left eye long. The nice thing with the inserts is that it was inexpensive to make the changes. I have since switched to the Genetyks and contacts and couldn't be happier. The wrap around on the glasses keeps the dirt and wind out of my eyes and in Oklahoma that is saying something. PM me if you have any questions.

I have these in Rx and nonRx and I agree with G-man. I think where contacts really come into their own is hot humid weather, which we have here 9 months of the year. Vented lenses really help. The Half Jackets really work even in the dusty wind anywhere-you just have to keep them on all the time, tight. So-go for contacts focused to front sight in shooting eye and to target or around 15yds for other eye. Get prescription glasses for backup. The best sunglasses are Maui Jims-they are not carbonate however-I use them a lot, just not at matches. Flak Jackets are good, too.

A big PLUS 1. I wear contacts without many problems at all. But the heat and humidity of Florida 9 months of the year can really be tuff on on glasses. I think he gave you good advise. Good luck.

I prefer Contact Lenses. The trick is keeping them lubricated if you're out shooting all day. I use the 'REFRESH CONTACTS' drops to put inside the lens before inserting them into my eye, it stops the dryness from kicking in but I still had a few issues in Nevada last year, mostly with that fine dust.

Being blind in one eye and can't see out the other one and yes I have a stigmatism plus wear progressive lense. Stigmatism that is when you shoot at the paper target and knock down the popper, then I got it.

Ok I'm quilifed to talk about optical enhancement. Even wearing contacts you need a pair of glasses just in case you get a little problem with the contacts.

I have Optical insurance is it is of course the DPS plan (Don't pay for you guessed it) anyway I just went on line with my perscription and bought glasses regular sun, and shooting. Mine don't have a fancy name of someone I don't know but I sure can see

http://39dollarglasses.com

I just use single vision glasses for shooting and they work great. My regular glasses that cost $600 at lenscrafters online cost $139 and they are better. My wife was a doubter but she got hers there too and just loves them, helps her see stuff on the xray at the airport, you are safer flying now.

Spend the money you save on ammo to practice.

I'm really new to this forum. I wear progressive glasses,really hard to use when shooting. I had intermiate

presription put into the corner of a old pair of sunglasses and distance around the intermidate. So front sight

is sharp and target somewhat blurred. Next time I do this I'm going to have the glasses completely intermidate.

I've never worn contacts. This has worked for me.

My wife shot with contacts at one time but had issues with blowing dust at times. She went regular glasses for shooting about 3 years ago and liked it much better. She now wears progressives but did not like them for shooting so she temporarily went back to her regular glasses. I bought her a pair of Rudy Genteyks with inserts. She now shoots in them and is very happy with the produst and the discount she got on the glasses. Now there is even a 35% discount on the lenses if you go to e-rudy and use their discount code of 2alpha.

Mike

I have always just worn my contacts when shooting (with regular shooting glasses). I have read a lot about other shooters using prescription shooting glasses and it makes me wonder if they would work better than contacts for me? I am near-sighted, with an astigmatism. I don't wear bifocals.

So what are the pros and cons of prescription shooting glasses versus contacts. I can't afford to buy prescription shooting glasses just to try them out. If they will help me in some way, I'd be glad to put down the money though.

I shoot a 1911 with bomar rear and fiber optic front. Shooting NRA Action Pistol and IDPA.

I'm 60 and have worn Gas/Perm contacts for many years, also have astigmatism that can NOT be correctable with soft contacts. I tried prescription shooting glasses to wear if it is very dusty they simply do not correct my vision as well as my contacts, NOT EVAN CLOSE . I'll sell you a pair worn :roflol: once cheep Also find a Eye Dr that shoots