Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to Rebarrel for 308

DaG

OK, time to rebarrel my 308. I've talked to alot of people and have just about narrowed it down to a Schneider 1/12 or a Rock Creek 1/11.27 . Anyone have experience with either of these? Pros,cons? Also the Schneider can also be had in a 5P (polygonal) configuration. Whats the difference in 5P and 5R? Also what's the difference in a 95 and 98 Palma reamer? Thanks for any info and opinions you can provide.

DaG

I would have to chime in on the Rock barrel as well... I don't know the difference between the 95 and 98 reamers.. Mine just happens to have been chambered with the 95 palma reamer, It has a .343 neck and not alot of freebore in order to keep the OAL to mag length...

Kreiger, Bartlein, Rock, Schneider etc all make excellent barrels. Just make sure to get the right twist for the bullets you will be shooting. For the .308 I like a 11 or 10 twist as you can shoot any bullet up to 210grns in the .308 with them. Not a fan of the 12 twist as sometimes it won't stabilize over a 175grn. I had a 12 twist before that had to have the 175s over 2675fps before they would shoot. All my .30 rifles have 10 twists.

We're currently testing Bartlein gain twist barrels for long range. Have one done right now in 308, just off the lathe, ready for cerakote. Another in 260, same thing. Waiting on a special 300 win mag reamer to show up before chambering the last test barrel. The Bartleins are cut rifled, on CNC equipment (rather than Pratt & Whitney). The decision is mostly summed up as cut vs. button rather than brand vs. brand.

99% will shoot better than most shooters can. 100% will shoot crappy if your smith puts a crooked chamber in them.

Had one Rock 5R M24 contour 1-11.25" tw with deep flutes in .308 Win. Changed the gun to a 6-6.5x47L for general use and sold the barrel to a friend. First match he shot with it I found myself wanting it back! That barrel is one of those that just flat hammers with about any load you put through it, with minimal load work or brass prep. Disgusting, really ;)

Never heard of a Palma '98' chamber. There is a Palma 95 chamber, little bit snugger than SAAMI all the way around (~.340-341 @ the neck for fired cases) and a fairly short throat - it's designed for 155gr bullets as used in International Palma or Fullbore competition. The 'old' 155s were pretty short and stubby; the newer breeds are longer but have shorter bearing surface so it works out pretty well either way. The newer 155s shoot very well with a 1-12" twist, but a 1-11.25 (designed, IIRC, for the S175MK) certainly won't cause any problems.

Most of the major barrels will shoot just fine; I've used Pac-Nor, Broughton, Brux, Lilja & Rock. Then again, after shooting factory Savage barrels and seeing how some of those shoot... it makes a person start wondering just what *does* really matter? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, sent the action off today. Decided to go with a 1/12 Schneider finished at 26" with 95 Palma chamber. Hopefully I'll get it back by the end of March. The wait begins.......

DaG

I'd suggest a faster twist than 1 in 12. When I rebarrel mine, I think I'm going to go with 1 in 10, but 1 in 11.25 is in the running as well. 1 in 12 is too slow.

Do you think 12 twist is too slow for 175 SMK's? I not planning on going any heavier than 175 but also want to run 155's if possible.

DaG

It's on the line. Some do, some don't. Also depends on if the listed 12 twist is actually a 12 as some button rifled barrels can be a little more. If you stick with a 11 or 10 twist you can shoot anything you want to shoot and not have to worry about it.

The 10 twist bbl will shoot any bullet in the .30 cal family. The 1/12 twist bbl cannot. I too have 1/10 twist bbls on all my 308 rifles and I shoot the 155 Berger VLD at 3050 fps. I get great accuracy even though I am a little fast twisted.

I've owned Rock, Schneider, Bartlein, Broughton, Hart, Douglas, and Lilja barrels, but these Benchmarks I have been getting lately impress me more than any of the others. I don't know if the steel is harder, the 3 grooves makes a difference, or what, but they are outstanding. I loaded charges for load development and had 6 groups under 1/2 MOA over a 2 gr powder spread. The accuracy nodes are just huge in them, they clean up silly fast, and the velocities I am getting out of them are unreal.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top bbl makers. They can all produce a bad bbl from time to time, but they make many more good ones than bad.