Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Links/Pictures Open in New Window, Quotes in Older Posts

01G8R

Is there a way to set it so when you click on a picture or a link that it opens in a new window. When I usually read a thread I click on pictures or links and they would open in another window. Then when I was done reading the thread I could look at the pictures or the other links. Now when you click on a picture it pops up over the thread you are reading. Also I can't right click on pictures and open them in a new window. When I right click it just opens in the same window over the thread. If the pictures are huge then you have to scroll down to close them and when they close you have to scroll back up to get back to where you were in the thread.

On older posts that I read when searching all of the quotes are hard to differentiate between the new text and the quote. It seems that new posts since the conversion the quotes are highlighted with different color boxes, but it doesn't seem that way with old posts when I search. I'm using Firefox. Thanks.

Edited by 01G8R

Now when you click on a picture it pops up over the thread you are reading. Also I can't right click on pictures and open them in a new window. When I right click it just opens in the same window over the thread.

I'm using Firefox at work, and if I click on an image then it opens in the way you describe. If I then hit the Save icon on the bottom right of the picture it opens it in another TAB. I have not tried that with Safari to see if it operates the same way.

You didn't include any text so I'm not sure what were trying to point out.

BritinUSA

I understand about saving the pictures, but that doesn't address the issue I pointed out. You can't click on the thumbnail and have them open in another window. It just cramps my style of reading threads. If I'm the only one it bothers I guess I will learn to live with it. Thanks.

On the old board, if you clicked on a link it opened a new window.

I noticed the same thing. But if you right click on the link, you can choose how to open it.

I go to so many different places and forums, that I always right click and then choose how I want a link to open. I don't know if that is the best way...

The new software has the option of opening links in the same window, or a new window. (Our old forums could only open in a new window.)

Personally, I don't really care. If I want a link to open in a new Tab or Window, I'll hold down the appropriate modifier key to make that happen.

If it matters to you, chime in here.

be

I go to so many different places and forums, that I always right click and then choose how I want a link to open. I don't know if that is the best way...

Sacrilege!! There are no other places nor forums!

I also prefer it to open a new tab or window, but I can deal with manually having to choose that.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

When I click on a photo in a thread, not only does it open in the same window, but when I click "return" on the browser it doesn't return to the thread I was reading. If I opened the thread from "view new content", it throws me back to the new content page. Then you have to find the thread you were reading all over again.

I asked IP if there was any way to force all links to open in a new window:

Unfortunately not. That's been an issue for some since IPB 3 was released. The devs were going with more strict guidelines for the forum in the new version attempting to meet some of the HTML standards that are out now a days since there's so many ways to open links in a new window/tab.

So we'll have to harden the f-up and deal with it.

be