Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 die recommendation

i'm trying to get into reloading .223 but need help in deciding what dies to use. I reload 9mm on Dillon 550 but I also have a Lyman T-mag that i thought about reloading rifle ammo on. Thanks for your help.

If your volume is not that high and/or you want to load really precision loads, the turret would work well. Otherwise, you will need to get a conversion kit for the 550.

As to the dies, Lee dies will work with most any press as will just about any other mfgr. If you want to pick and choose, RCBS has a good small base sizing die or the X-Die and Forster has a good micrometer seating die.

I have had great luck with an RCBS resizing die with the added Hornady Carbide Expander Spindle Assembly and a Redding Competition Seater Die. The RCBS resizing die with the added Hornady carbide insert is very helpful with regard to time, efficiency and reduced risk of stuck cases. I follow it all up with the Redding Taper Crimp Die.

I have had excellent accuracy and repeatability with this combination.

Good Luck!

Kyle

Edited by DocMcG

For a bolt action hunting / range rifle that you only intend to use brass that came out of that rifle. Redding Deluxe Die Set, 3 die, full size, neck size and seater.

Full on Target Rifle. Redding Competition Seater and Neck Bushing Die.

Good quality target / varmint semi auto. Dillon Carbide Sizer Die Set with if you wish Redding Comp Seating Die.

AR15 type rifle for 3 gun an dgeneral busting caps. Regular Dillon Die Set as issued, if you liek the floating seating die system buy the Hornady with the microjust top. Way cheaper than Redding,a nd will work btter than most can shoot.

USE THE 550.

When I shot NRA High Power service rifle I would load my short range stuff (69gr Sierra matchkings) on my 550 with Hornady dies and the micro adjust on the seating dies. For the long range stuff (80gr Sierra matchkings)I'd use the Hornady's but with a Redding Competition Seater on a single stage press.

Scott

I too plan on getting set up to load .223 for my AR. Not looking for 5 shot one hole groups probably just a bunch of 55 gr plinking ammo. I think I have narrowed it down to RCBS sizing die. I will get a Dillon Trimmer and a designated tool head for the size / trim operation. Would the RCBS small base sizer die or the RCBS X die be the better option? I am going to load on a 550B and set up the second tool head probably with a Redding Mic Seater I know probably overkill but the ease of setting up the OAL is worth it to me. (I just LOVE it for my .308 hand loads on my single stage. No muss or fuss adjusting OAL.) And a Lee Crimp in station 4 for good measure. So what would be the better sizer die and why. Thanks.

I opted for the Dillon set (with the addition of a Lee FCD) for my 550B, but the following link has an interesting take from a seasoned high power competitor on "Reloading Match Ammunition on Progressive Reloading Equipment".

http://lcsahighpower.com/2008/04/22/reloading-match-ammo/

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

In the grand circularity of info here on the forum I just realized this evening that I saved that link from a posting that my buddy and bayou neighbor Barney88pdc made a few weeks back. It is good info...and worth the repost :cheers:

Curtis

My vote would go to the Dillon Carbide. Yes they're expensive, yes, you still have to lube casses, but loading on them is exceptionally smooth. If you've ever lubed your pistol cases, that's how much different the Carbide Dillons are from regular .223 dies, and I've loaded on both. Just smooth and easy. When did you ever regret buying the best?

• 4 weeks later...

I think you get a lot for your money with the Hornady dies.

Sliding bullet aligner in the seating die is what sold me on them.

If I were an extreme accuracy fantatic shooting F-class or something I'd probably use redding.

Another plus for Hornady is the free box of bullets for just the price of shipping with each die set.

• 1 month later...

i'm trying to get into reloading .223 but need help in deciding what dies to use. I reload 9mm on Dillon 550 but I also have a Lyman T-mag that i thought about reloading rifle ammo on. Thanks for your help.

Just a newbie on this site but I bought a .223 SB, 308 SB die sets for $45.63 plus a 475 Wildey Mag die set for $109/57 from CH tool & die and had the sizers TiN coated for $39.15 each and the expanders coated for an extra $11.66 each which is a lot cheaper than dillon's carbide rifle dies plus the CoF I believe is a little better than carbide. You still have to use lube as with the carbide rifle dies but the coating is guaranteed for life for what that's worth. Takes a little longer to get them since they have them out to get them coated but for me it's worth it. It's a good company and I have been using CH products for about 30 years without any problems.