Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock weak hand only

usmc1974

I was shooting in a match today, one COF I had to shoot weak hand only. My 35, had a tendency to want to not go into battery. When I reached up and pulled the slide back just a hair it cycled and fired the next round. Do I just need to practice weak hand shooting/ or ?. Thanks

I was shooting in a match today, one COF I had to shoot weak hand only. My 35, had a tendency to want to not go into battery. When I reached up and pulled the slide back just a hair it cycled and fired the next round. Do I just need to practice weak hand shooting/ or ?. Thanks

Shooting groups and doing drills Weak Hand (as well as Strong Hand) as part of your practice routine might already fix the problem. I find Glocks very forgiving unless someone has a wobbly grip that day. Limpwrist is such a shabby word...

I'd suggest to try the weak hand / strong hand practice at least a few times, in case you're not already doing that.

That should get you acquainted to the way the gun "moves" in the hand.

After that you can always look at your gun, the ammo, etc.

Good luck!

What sort of ammo were you firing? What is your recoil spring weight? Stock? Aftermarket? When you shoot do you commit your body weight forward, with your shoulders in front of your hips, your head in front of your shoulders? Do you lock out your arm? These are all important pieces of information to have.

Shooting groups and doing drills Weak Hand (as well as Strong Hand) as part of your practice routine might already fix the problem. I find Glocks very forgiving unless someone has a wobbly grip that day. Limpwrist is such a shabby word...

I'd suggest to try the weak hand / strong hand practice at least a few times, in case you're not already doing that.

That should get you acquainted to the way the gun "moves" in the hand.

After that you can always look at your gun, the ammo, etc.

Good luck!

What he said.

What sort of ammo were you firing? What is your recoil spring weight? Stock? Aftermarket? When you shoot do you commit your body weight forward, with your shoulders in front of your hips, your head in front of your shoulders? Do you lock out your arm? These are all important pieces of information to have.

Very good points!

Thanks for all the info guys. I did change the barrel, to a Stormlake match for lead bullets. I don't think I am limp wristing GL :rolleyes: BUT, It was cold and I might not have griped it tight enough. I do plan on weak hand and strong hand drills. I did notice when it happed the bullets was kind of nose down in the mag. freestyle it runs great!

Edited by usmc1974

I did change the barrel, to a Stormlake match for lead bullets.

Well there's your problem right there.

Why do you say that ? The barrel or the lead bullets It is not a problem in my G 22.

I'm not Duane, but I'll take a crack at it.....

Getting the gun to run is a combination of gun parts, ammo and technique. Whenever one fits new parts to one's blaster, there's a possibility that a previously stable system will break down. Ideally we test for that --- and that testing should include weak hand firing while loaded from +1 capacity to only having one round in the mag. If the gun runs flawlessly during all testing, then you're good to go.....

Just because a combination of parts and ammo work with your technique in another gun (G22 -- but we could also be talking about a second G35) is no guarantee that they'll work in every other gun....

I've owned identically configured G34s that ran perfectly with 12 lb. springs and others that wouldn't run with less than a 13 lb. spring.....

First rule: Test. Then, if there's a problem, return the blaster to stock condition, test again. Still have a problem --- time to look at technique and ammo. Once the stock gun runs with ammo and technique, change one thing at a time and retest....

I don't think I am limp wristing GL :rolleyes: BUT, It was cold and I might not have griped it tight enough.

Ummm...that is what limp-wristing is. Or, at least an aspect of it. It's not about how much hair you have on your chest. It's just technique.

On the other hand (pun intended), if it didn't do that when firing LHO with the stock barrel, it's the replacement barrel causing the problem.

Years ago a good pistolsmith told me something I have never forgotten. I've said this before on this forum but it bears repeating here: "Whenever a previously 100 percent reliable gun suddenly begins choking on you, the first question you should ask yourself is, 'What did I change?' Figure out what you changed, then change it back to the way things were when the gun worked 100 percent, and it'll probably start working 100 percent again." If the gun worked fine LHO with the stock barrel, it doesn't work LHO with the replacement barrel, put the stock barrel back in the gun, it'll probably start working 100 percent LHO again.

...Getting the gun to run is a combination of gun parts, ammo and technique. Whenever one fits new parts to one's blaster, there's a possibility that a previously stable system will break down. Ideally we test for that --- and that testing should include weak hand firing while loaded from +1 capacity to only having one round in the mag. If the gun runs flawlessly during all testing, then you're good to go

Don't forget the magazines. Especially the 10 rounders. Each needs to be tested as Nik describes (ask me how I know... :wacko: ).

eta: Oops, I see Flex beat me on commenting on the mags... :blush::D

Edited by kevin c

I did fit the barrel a little I think it was me and the cold. I took it out today and it shot fine, even WHO. I do use Taylor +5's with 10% extra power springs. I think ya'll are right about practice WH/SH only shooting. I do so like this gun.