Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for .357diameter lead or plated bullet

Peakbagr

My 1911 .38Super likes .356 diameter bullets and shoots tight groups with any load.

My Smith 627 revolver throws the .356s all over the paper with the same diameter.

Smith's Performance Center advises a bullet with .357 diameter and I'm looking for a plated or

lead bullet in the 120-130 gr range. Tried Zero bullets but they don't make a .357 that will work.

The gun will eat a lot of rounds so I'd rather not buy expensive jacketed bullets.

Hope you guys can help.

My 1911 .38Super likes .356 diameter bullets and shoots tight groups with any load.

My Smith 627 revolver throws the .356s all over the paper with the same diameter.

Smith's Performance Center advises a bullet with .357 diameter and I'm looking for a plated or

lead bullet in the 120-130 gr range. Tried Zero bullets but they don't make a .357 that will work.

The gun will eat a lot of rounds so I'd rather not buy expensive jacketed bullets.

Hope you guys can help.

Montana gold has a .357 diameter 125g plated bullet that gives me excellent groups out of my super. They have free delvery if you buy them by the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to drift this but have you checked your cylinder throat diameters? .357 bullets will be much better if your throats are .357. Smalller than .357 throats will negate the effect of the bigger (357) bullets.

The answer is really simple. Buy a Lee Cast Bullet Sizing kit in .357 if thats the size you need. Then buy your lead bullets where ever you want & size them down as needed. http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/lubesize.html

Personally, I'd try using .358 lead bullets first, if they'll chamber, they should work fine. You need to match your lead bullets to the revolvers throat dimensions. Not the barrel dimensions.

• 2 months later...

Extreme bullets makes a 147 plated at .357. www.betterbullets.com makes a 125 and a 150 at .357 they are both lead. I had a .356 barrel put on my 627 and the only bullets I could get to group are .357. The .356 and .358 shoot good up closeat 10 to 15 yds but can't keep them on a paper plate at 50 yds. The .357 150 from better bullets will group 2" at 50 yds. I am shooting 38 short colt.