Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Tac

Sterling White

I ran 69 SMKs over 24.0 grains for a MV of 2780 last year. OAL of 2.245 and WSR primers. That chrono number was at 6200' DA from a 18" Firebird barrel.

Change the primer to CCI 41, cut load to 23.7 for the same MV of 2780.

Added: The above is all using LC brass.

Edited by MarkCO

I ran 69 SMKs over 24.0 grains for a MV of 2780 last year. OAL of 2.245 and WSR primers. That chrono number was at 6200' DA from a 18" Firebird barrel.

Sounds good. I just got 1K of Scharch brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good. I just got 1K of Scharch brass.

I'm joining the party, just bought 8#'s of TAC today, ran out of BLC(2) for 55 gr, and 500 SMK 69's showed up in the mail box. Don't have time to dink around got a major match in two weeks so it will be 23.7 @ 2.245. I have new ArmsCor brass, no idea where the primers came from. I'm shooting an 18" Sabre, hope that it works about like the Firebird.

I called Sierra the other day. Their data on TAC for 69s is 22.1 to 24.2 at a oal of 2.260".

Tnek - 23.7 is in the range. 2.260 may or may not fit and feed in my AR I'll have to verify that. If I recall correctly my 55's a 2.250 and .005 either way, well the press might just do that or you.

In the past I have loaded 10 rounds at +.2 gr from low to high shot groups and determined which one produced the smallest group. I'll do this later on but I'm flying with the 23.7 as a good number of now.

I called Sierra the other day. Their data on TAC for 69s is 22.1 to 24.2 at a oal of 2.260".

Tnek - 23.7 is in the range. 2.260 may or may not fit and feed in my AR I'll have to verify that. If I recall correctly my 55's a 2.250 and .005 either way, well the press might just do that or you.

In the past I have loaded 10 rounds at +.2 gr from low to high shot groups and determined which one produced the smallest group. I'll do this later on but I'm flying with the 23.7 as a good number of now.

Sierra said that was a magazine fit OAL. I am going to load to 2.445"ish since that is what Black Hills and Georga Arms seem to measure. I wish I knew what powder they both use but I still plan on 23.7gr to start. Its just friggin cold out so the trip for chrono is a pain. I have bullets inbound and thats the last thing I need. Press and dies are pretty much set and need to be tweaked for final load and OAL.

Id like to hear from more TAC loaders and what they are getting for load results.

Kent

Edited by tnek

How temp sensitive is TAC ? Ive got a pound to test, but with it not even getting to 30 degrees I feel like I'd be wasting my time if it is sensitive.

I should have a range day this week sometime I'll let you know how mine crono 2.248-2.250 23.7gr 69gr SMK's. I loaded about 60 for testing last night.

On another note I had broke my Lee Sizer Die, a friend gave me a Redding, WOW what a difference and the brass doesn't even look like its going to need trimming if it does it won't be much. Deprimed and sized 1000 in about 30 minutes.

Edited by CocoBolo

I'm loading 75's at 23.5 TAC at 2.255 OAL. 69 SMK's are at 24 grains TAC. My 55's are 25.5 grains and 2.225 OAL.

Have you noticed any major velocity variation here in our fine midwest weather swings ?

Ive got some to load and test, but if its going to speed up by 100-200 FPS I dont want to waste my time testing in this cold weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loading 75's at 23.5 TAC at 2.255 OAL. 69 SMK's are at 24 grains TAC. My 55's are 25.5 grains and 2.225 OAL.

I borrowed your load today..... :cheers: Thanks, it seems pretty good. sub moa from my AR at 100 yards from a crappy too small bench and using a make shift rest... 75grn Hornaday match BTHP, range brass loaded, on my Dillon using the powder measure. They were a few thousandths too long for my Magpul mags though so I had to single feed them.

IMAG0039.jpg

How temp sensitive is TAC ? Ive got a pound to test, but with it not even getting to 30 degrees I feel like I'd be wasting my time if it is sensitive.

I should have a range day this week sometime I'll let you know how mine crono 2.248-2.250 23.7gr 69gr SMK's. I loaded about 60 for testing last night.

On another note I had broke my Lee Sizer Die, a friend gave me a Redding, WOW what a difference and the brass doesn't even look like its going to need trimming if it does it won't be much. Deprimed and sized 1000 in about 30 minutes.

Crono and accuracy results. for 23.7gr Load shot from 18" Sabre Defense temp 70f.

10 Shot Average 2682 ES 27 SD 10. Very accurate Sub moa, holes touching at 50 yards longest bay at pistol range, same POI as 55gr PMC FMJ ammo. Brass was new ArmsCor bought primed and just loaded. They fit the mag and run in the gun 100%.

Edited by CocoBolo

Crono and accuracy results. for 23.7gr Load shot from 18" Sabre Defense temp 70f.

10 Shot Average 2682 ES 27 SD 10. Very accurate Sub moa, holes touching at 50 yards longest bay at pistol range, same POI as 55gr PMC FMJ ammo. Brass was new ArmsCor bought primed and just loaded. They fit the mag and run in the gun 100%.

Sounds like you have hit or are very close to the sweet spot on this. I have about 20 loaded with 23.7 and 20 with 24.0 and Im waiting for a decent day, which means above 45 and a little sunshine to try my loads.

Here is my TAC research from this weekend. All was loaded to just under mag length.. about 2.25

My loads will be:

25.0 - 55 Vmax

24.5 - 69 SMK

23.5 - 77 SMK

Your 69 loads seem a bit hot from listed data. Are you having any overpressure signs?

Here is my TAC research from this weekend. All was loaded to just under mag length.. about 2.25

My loads will be:

25.0 - 55 Vmax

24.5 - 69 SMK

23.5 - 77 SMK

Your 69 loads seem a bit hot from listed data. Are you having any overpressure signs?

Thanks for the input I've been running BLC(2) 27.1 gr with 55gr at 2918 fps where they seem to group best and your 24.5 looks about right to replace with TAC since I'm out of BLC(2).

Edited by CocoBolo

My loads will be:

25.0 - 55 Vmax

24.5 - 69 SMK

23.5 - 77 SMK

Pretty sure i read that 25.5 or 26 was max.

Not compared to 25.5. 25.5 showed a little cratering of the primer. With the 3 loads above, i loaded more last night and will do some more testing to ensure the velocities and groups are good. Those loads all have pretty close to the same flight path according to JBM, out to 350-400. 500 separates them quite a bit.

Is 2800fps hot for a 69gr load?

Edited by DWFAN

My loads will be:

25.0 - 55 Vmax

24.5 - 69 SMK

23.5 - 77 SMK

Pretty sure i read that 25.5 or 26 was max.

Not compared to 25.5. 25.5 showed a little cratering of the primer. With the 3 loads above, i loaded more last night and will do some more testing to ensure the velocities and groups are good. Those loads all have pretty close to the same flight path according to JBM, out to 350-400. 500 separates them quite a bit.

Is 2800fps hot for a 69gr load?

Im not sure about the velocity but from the Ramshot load data page it lists for a 69 sie a load of 21.6-24.0gr and I called Sierra a few weeks ago and they list it at 22.1-24.2gr. If you doing OK at more than those its up to you and if it works thats cool.

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

Edited by tnek

Ramshots webpage shows this:

Appliocation: Bolt Action Rifles and Semi Auto Weapons rated for the latest NATO/MIL ammunition

..snip

TAC 69 SIE HPBT 22.9 2,775 25.4 3,049 61,607 2.260

..snip

So, 25.5 was above max barely, but 24.5 looks good according to this. If I can get something lighter to shoot good, I'll bring it down some since Im not exactly looking for max velocity.

Ramshots webpage shows this:

Appliocation: Bolt Action Rifles and Semi Auto Weapons rated for the latest NATO/MIL ammunition

..snip

TAC 69 SIE HPBT 22.9 2,775 25.4 3,049 61,607 2.260

..snip

So, 25.5 was above max barely, but 24.5 looks good according to this. If I can get something lighter to shoot good, I'll bring it down some since Im not exactly looking for max velocity.

I missed it and need to go look at it. Thanks!

Edit to add.

I just went to the page and its changed in the last few weeks. I actually printed out the page with all of the 223 and its listed as page 7 Edition 4-4. The new page with the updated loads are listed as Edition 4-5.

Interesting and now maybe more choices. I am still just looking for the most accurate load like all of us.

Edited by tnek

I loaded up another 20ish with 25.0 for testing.

This powder meters so well I am amazed. With my 650 it throws within .03 or less everytime according to my Mack digital scale. I just make sure to count to 3 on every powder throw to let it dump completly.

IF the weather would just give me a break I could test the loads.

I was bored today so I pulled apart a few Georga Arms 69SMK rounds and Black Hills. The GA powder looks identical to TAC and was a consistant 24.6 for 4 rounds.

The BH also looked like TAC but weighed in at 25.4

I have no clue what powders they both actually are but it would be nice to know.

Edited by tnek

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth. I finaly had sunny and 45 degree day to try what I have loaded.

I had 69 SMK loaded with 3 loads, 23.7, 24 and 25. The 23.7 seemed to be very good at 100. 15 plus shots had numerous holes touching and other than a couple flyers on my part all were about 1 1/2" with just a meopta dot from a bench with a grip pod. Rifle is a 18" JP.

The 24 was not as good and opened up to abut 2+ inches and the 25 was even more spread around 3+". Thats shooting about 15 shots per target.

Plan is to load a couple hundred and test at 200 and 300+ next week. Im just tickled shitless its over 40ish and sunny.

I have not gotten to the chrono part yet.