Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Tac

Sterling White

I ran a search query on Ramshot Tac and it looks like there are some folks testing it however not a lot of feedback. Specifically, am interested in learning more about loads for the 223 (5.56), 6.5 Grendel, and 308.

Will start some of my own test soon but nothing to report right now. Any suggestions for a 62gn and 69gn?

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I loaded up some test rounds of .223, 69 gr nosler comp, and various weights of tac. From what I can tell from a few threads on here, tac seems to be popular with heavier bullets 69 gr and up in .223.

It is talked about a little bit here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=tac+223

I've used Ramshot Tac with moa to sub-moa results with 55gr to 75gr bullets in 223. Test each load at 100 and 200 yds. I found a lot of rounds don't look very good at 100 yds, i.e. 1.25-1.5" groups, and then shoot the same group size at 200 yds and equivalent moa past 200.

I am one of the people that was working on loads with TAC for .223 and .308. I have just not had time to sit down and work on them. I did get presses set up and brass fully processed to start loading. I will try to get something done in the next few weeks. It is really cold here in Florida right now the high today was 45 degrees with a 10-15 mph wind.

Thanks Hockey and guys...I did see that thread and the title of it specified TAC and 55gr Ballistic Tips in .223. I am hoping to capture more information however some good information there. My plans are to start with 62gn and 69gn bullets. And progress to testing other loads for the two calibers soon as well.

Sterling, I'm having great results with 23.7g of Tac over 69g Sierra Match Kings. Hoping to work something up for the 55g MG's. Too cold to do anything yet in Old Va., will keep ya posted. Your buddy, Steve.

Edited by Hotshoer

Sterling

I have been experimanting with Tac for about a year now and following is some load info I have compiled. The velocities are from my current 1/8 twist

18" 3 land poly rifled bbl. You should crono your load development in your bbl to be sure of your velocities.

Factory (from production lots I pulled and weighed)

BH 68gr Heavy match = 24gr Tac = 2715

BH 75gr BTHP match= 23.8gr Tac = 2700

My Reloads

75gr Hornady = 23.5gr Tac = 2664

75gr Hornady = 24.5gr Tac = ? not chronod yet, but no over presure signs and great accuracy from my bbl.

55gr MG FMJ = 24.2gr Tac = 2911

I load to an OAL of 2.243

I hope this info helps you out. Remember to work up slowly and watch for sighns of overpressure

I tried it in .308. 24" barrel, 1 in 10 twist, all loads at 2.8 OAL, 175gr SMK.

38gr=2372

39gr=2420

40gr=2494

41gr=2570

Just started playing with it, still have a lot of work to do. But honestly it hasn't performed very well so far.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

I hope this info helps you out. Remember to work up slowly and watch for sighns of overpressure

I have been loading pistol for a long time but have just started loading for rifle. I am working up a load for 69gn Sierra.. What are the key signs of overpressure I need to look for.

Thanks

I have been loading pistol for a long time but have just started loading for rifle. I am working up a load for 69gn Sierra.. What are the key signs of overpressure I need to look for.

Thanks

Look at the primer for flow, or, cratering.

If you are running a bolt action, the bolt won't open as easy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Im getting ready to load Tac under 69 gr SMKs in the next few weeks.

The Ramshot homepage shows a load of 21.6 to 24.0 gr.

From the info I have seen here and elsewhere Im going to start a few at 23.4 ish and chrono. Bad part is since its winter I hope I can get a day over 50 to chrono and check poi @100 to start.

Edited by tnek

I've been using Tac with 77 gr. SMKs for a couple of years now. Very happy with the results.

Sub-MOA out to 425 yds. observed (.5 MOA at 100 yds), 18" MSTN, WSR primers.

I'm running 23.9-24.0 gr. -- last chrono was 2670 fps (SD in low teens, DensAlt: 8630'). And, it meters well enough to use with the standard Dillon powder measures (compared to Varget, for example). Note that I'm at altitude as I believe I'm on the high end of what Ramshot publishes. Pressure signs just beginning. I was running a bit hotter with flattened primers so I dialed back.