Corey's road to success

Corey

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, marginal at best, haha. Thats what ya get when you recruit special kids and let them work for free tho! :roflol:

Ill have quality camera work this weekend at the Nationals :cheers:

Nationals are in the books! Didn't shoot quite as good as I had wanted to, but still had a decent weekend. As usual, I had spurts of greatness then spurts of just absolute trash, haha. Had a couple No-Shoots jump out in front of my bullets on a couple stages and had an empty case get stuck in the gun on the all steel stage which cost me a TON of time (that and missing a bunch of the steel). Overall I finished 76th, which was outside of my goal. Had a couple stages that I finished down in the 200s which ain't gonna help. I did have 4 stages of top 50 or better and a couple inside the top 30 which made me feel great. I like looking at the scores and seeing myself ahead of guys like Blake Miguez, Frank Garcia, and some others even if its only for a stage. Just tells me that I have it in me to do perform well. Just need to work on the consistency part and get those scores more often. The roller coaster of up and down ain't gonna help the overall standings.

SS gun will be cleaned this week and the Limited gun comes out tonight for some dryfire after I work out. I don't have a lot of time to get ready for the OH Sectional at the end of this month.

With Nationals behind me, I got the Limited gun out and set up the belt rig and mags. Dryfired for about 45 min, just to get the feel of the gun. Draws felt good and it still indexes well for me. Hitting the mag release is harder than I remember, especially compared to my 1911s. Just something Ill have to get myself accustomed to again. Its nice having a huge mag opening to hit now tho :roflol: . Still managed to bobble a couple trying to go too fast. Im going to spend a little time just working on form and then start the build the speed up a bit. I don't have long to get ready for the OH Sectional. I'll have 4 Thursday night sessions and one match at FW in a couple weeks and maybe a random day to sneak out to the range if I'm lucky. It'll have to be enough time.

Dryfired reloads on Wed for about 30 minutes. Worked on flipping the gun in my hand to be able to hit that button. Still going to need to more work to smooth it out. Live Fire last night was awesome. Forgot how great this gun handles :wub: . First couple of strings were "get to know you" strings. Then I turned it up to normal. Accuracy was good on distance paper and steel. Sights tracked well for me. I want to get out and just do some group shooting and various distances with it when I'm by myself. We did some box movement and barricade work. I tried to focus on foot work entering and exiting the box. Its hard to try new things and focus on yourself when you are running a practice for 8-10 people. Its more things Ill work on when I get to the range by myself for a personal session. Also did some shooting on the move on poppers. Went ok, but always room for improvement. At the end of the day I did a couple of runs just trying to burn down the 6 popper that we had set up. 2 full size and 4 USPs from about 12 yards. best run was ~3.5 ish. Also did a couple draws to the large poppers to end the night. First one was a .97 and the second was a .88. I figured I'd call it quits with a smile on my face after those :D

More dryfire tonight then the INMG #3 at Atlanta this weekend. Maybe I ought to practice shotgun loading a bit...

Shot the INMG at ACC this weekend. Great match! Shot fairly well all things considered. Still have some things to work on. Dropped a couple shotgun shells trying to load too quickly. I still need a lot of work with my new M&P. Accuracy is not what I want it to be, and I know its not the gun's fault. Just a gun that I don't shoot very often. I need to get a bunch of 9mm ammo and devote some quality time to learning how to shoot it better. On the positive side, the rifle shooting was good and I was glad to see I improved my shotgun shooting. I noticed last year it was very slow and deliberate. I have been trying to pick up some speed there without sacrificing accuracy. I need to practice shooting it quickly on the move as the Texas star stage (forgot to video) hurt me a bit when i missed one of the plates trying to hit it as i moved up. Had to reload and extra shell which added about 3 seconds.

Have you considered my League shoot at Warsaw on June 9th? Good practice on field courses and trigger time even if I don't give you any insight at all.

Ill have to catch a raincheck. I won't be around that day :(

Another Thursday night practice in the books. Felt pretty good after last night. Had to hustle to the range after staying late at work, but I made it in time. All steel practice last night. Did some shooting from 10 and 15 yards on poppers. Variied the order, threw in some reloads, added some movement. Finished with a few quick draws to them. We were further back this week on the draws and i still got under 1.0s, although it did take a few cracks at it. This Limited gun is SOOOOO easy to shoot fast, I still need to tell myself to get the front sight in focus. First few runs I wasn't watching the sights and it took me 9-12 shots and 4-5 seconds to clear 7 poppers. Once i remembered that there is a little blade on my gun that has a little red dot in it, I shot it clean and got the times well under 4.0s. Got 3 of the 5 stages for the FW match set up too. Looks like some fun ones!!! :cheers:

Local NDM (rifle) Match this Saturday, then the rest of setup. Rifle Saturday and pistol Sunday. Should be a good weekend!

Hosted and shot my match at FW today. Weather was great, little hotter than I would like, but I'll take sunny and hot over cold and rainy any day of the week. Didn't shoot near as well as I'd like to. <_< Too much on my mind with getting the match setup and ready to run, having to do registration b/c my normal person there didn't show up, RO'ing, the heat and not eating or drinking near enough. Started off the morning great on my stage and the classifier, but then it went down hill from there. 50 points in penalties just has a nasty way of killing your scores... Some Mikes here, some No-Shoots there.The standard rushing of shots, not watching the sights like I should, etc.

I wanted to focus on footwork a bit and be a little more aggressive on non-shooting movements. I'll have to break down my videos later to see how I did in that department. Felt like I did, but feelings are deceiving. :sight:

Video from Sunday:

need to to a break down of it later.

Hosted and shot my match at FW today. Weather was great, little hotter than I would like, but I'll take sunny and hot over cold and rainy any day of the week. Didn't shoot near as well as I'd like to. <_< Too much on my mind with getting the match setup and ready to run, having to do registration b/c my normal person there didn't show up, RO'ing, the heat and not eating or drinking near enough. Started off the morning great on my stage and the classifier, but then it went down hill from there. 50 points in penalties just has a nasty way of killing your scores... Some Mikes here, some No-Shoots there.The standard rushing of shots, not watching the sights like I should, etc.

I wanted to focus on footwork a bit and be a little more aggressive on non-shooting movements. I'll have to break down my videos later to see how I did in that department. Felt like I did, but feelings are deceiving. :sight:

Video from Sunday:

Match directing makes the day more difficult? That is just crazy talk.

Hosted and shot my match at FW today. Weather was great, little hotter than I would like, but I'll take sunny and hot over cold and rainy any day of the week. Didn't shoot near as well as I'd like to. dry.gif Too much on my mind with getting the match setup and ready to run, having to do registration b/c my normal person there didn't show up, RO'ing, the heat and not eating or drinking near enough. Started off the morning great on my stage and the classifier, but then it went down hill from there. 50 points in penalties just has a nasty way of killing your scores... Some Mikes here, some No-Shoots there.The standard rushing of shots, not watching the sights like I should, etc.

Video from Sunday:

Match directing makes the day more difficult? That is just crazy talk.

I don't know what he is talking about nooooobody is affected by match directing I mean its just a little work!

Had a decent practice session last night. Had some accuracy problems with plates at the match last Sunday so I made sure to set them up for drill night. Shot a few variations of just knocking down the plates first as a warmup. Then moved to shooting some paper from one box and moving to another box to shoot steel. I wanted to focus on my setup getting into the boxes and was fairly happy with how quick I was ready to shoot. I need to run these types of drills when I'm by myself so I can set up my camera to watch a 3rd person POV on it. Also did some transition work going back and forth between close and long distance papers. Different trigger pulls and a long transition made it a fun drill that I may do again myself. Finished with backing up to about 20-25 yards and running the plates a couple times, then moved back in to about 10 yards and cleaned them up. I need to start adding more distance on my practices, both Thursday night and personal. I want to be training with harder shots than I'll see at a match.

Good job!! You kicked some serious butt and earned a title!! My big white hat is off to you brother!!!!

P. S. I don't care what division you're shooting, by the combined scores we even beat some stone cold gun rocking monsters!! I'll take it!!!!

OH sectional is in the books! What a great match. Hot, but still an awesome day. Had a great squad with some friends who know how to make any day enjoyable. Shot a pretty good match with the exception of one stage that was trashed pretty hard with a couple of Mikes and a No-Shoot. Ended up 12th overall in Limited, ~73% of Bob Vogel and 1st in B class. I wanted to finish top 15, win my class and finish at 75% of the winner. Almost got all three! Ended up with 4 top 10 stage finishes, one of which was a 3rd place.

Not a bad day of shooting considering the lack of sleep over the weekend. :eatdrink:

Time to get back to work and get ready for IN in August now...

OH sectional is in the books! What a great match. Hot, but still an awesome day. Had a great squad with some friends who know how to make any day enjoyable. Shot a pretty good match with the exception of one stage that was trashed pretty hard with a couple of Mikes and a No-Shoot. Ended up 12th overall in Limited, ~73% of Bob Vogel and 1st in B class. I wanted to finish top 15, win my class and finish at 75% of the winner. Almost got all three! Ended up with 4 top 10 stage finishes, one of which was a 3rd place.

Not a bad day of shooting considering the lack of sleep over the weekend. :eatdrink:

Time to get back to work and get ready for IN in August now...

Good job. You shot a very solid match. I think you were a little timid on the stage 10 plan, but other than that it was a good performance. I take it with the wedding no Area 5?

It felt very conservative and looked even more so on video, but I ended up 7th overall on that stage so I can't complain too much. I wonder if I would have been a bit faster going to the side first, then coming into the foot pad with my gun already drawn and up and ready :unsure:

Dodged some rain drops for last nights practice. Very small crowd, so we just set up a few poppers and gunned them down a few runs. Also did a little SHO/WHO with the steel too. I need more of that. Weather turned ugly and most people left, so Ryan and I got out some paper targets and ran an El Prez, some head shot drills and a Bill Drill. Bill drill i ran in 2.26 with only 1 C. I know, it technically doesn't count, but its one of the better runs I've had with this drill, and quite possibly the first one I've done with my Limited gun. I want to do that more next time I get out to the range for a practice session by myself. After that, the skies opened up so we left. Not a super productive evening, but got more done than I thought we would. Felt very good shooting the steel.

Big weekend ahead... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

My trigger finger is getting real itchy right about now. Haven't shot anything for couple weeks. Got married. Left the country for a week of R&R (much needed). Couldn't shoot the weekly practice this week due to errant work schedules and meetings. Hopefully I can shoot a little bit Saturday before Sunday's match. It could be ugly if I don't. :unsure: