Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corey's road to success

Corey

Been spending a few hours at the reloading bench and have some rounds all stocked away for my Manny Bragg class this weekend and Warsaw's match on Sunday. Looking forward to doing quite a bit of shooting in the next few days!!! Been working on dryfire lately, not so much on speed but on being precise and trying to eliminate wasted movements.

Also had some work done on the Benelli to enlarge the loading port a bit. A few dryfire loads with it looks promising...

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome time yesterday in the Manny Bragg class. :cheers: Learned a ton about my shooting, what I'm doing wrong and what I need to work on. Steel plates have always been a problem for me for some reason and after some critique from Manny, things were getting much better. Its just little things with my trigger control that i could never pinpoint by myself. After learning some trigger issues also improved my WHO/SHO shooting. Its amazing how the little things can help a ton!!! I got introduced to a few very good drills to straighten out some of my issues and I'm going to be using my airsoft stuff every night this week to get plenty of reps in. It was a lot of info/material/stuff to cover in just one day and I wish I could have 3 or 4 more days just like it!

Chrono'd some rounds today.... :unsure: .....

Warsaw match tomorrow. Going to try to put to work a couple of techniques I learned to work and see how things pan out.

Its amazing how the little things can help a ton!!!

+1 After taking a class last year I was amazed at how much the little things help out. It is a lot of info to take in at one time but even now almost 8 months later a lot of the other little things that I thought I understood are making sense now. It's hard to explain but it's kind of like you get jump started in the right direction and start to "evolve" as a shooter. It's pretty groovy when you have a breakthrough and say "Ooohhhhhh, that's what he meant, now I get it!"

Edited by alpha-charlie

Home from Nationals and working on getting all dried out. Weather decided to not cooperate and we had to shoot in the rain off and on all day Saturday. Despite the cold and rain, I had a blast! It was my first Nationals and after I was able to shake off the first stage jitters of a big match, I had a good time. Tanked one stage pretty bad and could of done better on a couple others. Overall, I am pretty please with my shooting and my finish. I was hoping to finish in the top half. I ended up 72nd out 352 overall and 8th in B-class out of 83. Going to try to get the video of the stages (all but 2 got filmed). I'm sure I wont feel quite so good about my shooting once I see it from a different perspective, but that's what I like.

Nationals Video:

Congrats, Corey. Sounds like you had a great match!

-rvb

As always, could have been a little better :blush: .

We'll see if I can improve on some things this weekend at the Ohio Sectional.

Ohio Sectionals was a great time! Dan and crew did an awesome job!! :cheers:

Shot fairly well. I had 1M, 1NS, and 8Ds for the entire match. Not great but a much better improvement than my last few matches. I've been giving up way too many points lately and that has to stop. The Ohio match was a good start for me. I ended up "2nd" B in SS (Sandbaggin Tony got first B :roflol: ). I was 86% of Shaun and Corey E., which makes me feel good as I dont think I've shot that close to them in a major match before. I had a couple issues with not getting my mag fully seated (rare problem for me in the last 6-8 months), and I blame it on myself for not practicing near as much as I should have :(.

I felt pretty go about my shooting overall and had some very good runs. I'll try to get the video up tonight then I can find all sorts of faults I didn't know were there :)

I think everything ammo related is taken care of as well, perfect feeding and a 172pf this weekend. Just in time to switch calibers, haha.

Match video:

With Nationals and the OH section over, I'll be switching to Limited. I should hopefully have my gun in the next week or so.

My next main focus is the KY state 3gun in 2 weeks. Planning on working on shotgun loading more than anything, as that is where I'm sure I have the most ground to gain/lose. Going to head out to the range this weekend to verify POI with my slugs and finalize a zero for my rifle.

Been doing some shotgun loading and its starting to smooth out a bit, just not terribly fast. I'm at about 8 seconds for a 8 shell load. Also put a new Geissele super 3 gun trigger in the AR. Holy crap that thing is smooth!!!! I can't believe I waited this long to swap triggers in that thing.

Sunday was the ACT training at Warsaw with Coach. About 300 rounds of muddy shooting fun! got some good advice on things that may help me move a little smoother and hopefully cut down some un-needed stage time. I tried to really push myself and be more explosive in the footwork. According to the scores, I was head of the class (finished second overall on the 6 stage runs behind Coach-who is supposed to win, haha)

Happy Memorial Day! All gave some.....Some gave all. :bow:

In the search for an aid in my physical improvement, I went and checked out a local Crossfit place after work tonight on the recommendation of Jake DiVita. Took a tour and did and intro work out to assess abilities (or lack there of, haha). What a gut check! I knew I was out of shape but damn... :unsure: . I'll have to decide whether its something I want to venture into right now or not. I cant lift my arms, so no dryfire tonight. I just do some visual shotgun loads in my mind :)

Back home from the KY state 3gun. Had a great time at a great match. Wish the heat would have cooperated a little better tho.

:unsure:

Overall pretty good results for my 3rd 3gun match and first match larger than club level (21st out of 61 in TacOps). Coulda/shoulda been a lot higher. I def learned a few things where I struggle and some things I need to test out. I had some slug trouble with them cycling (they ran great in practice). I think I'm fighting the shotgun too much anticipating recoil and not letting it cycle.

Also ran into an issue on the long range rifle stage. This one really baffles me...5 plates had to be shot at 200 yds from 2 different positions as well as some paper targets. I hit the first 5 in 6 shots and was on a roll. Shot the paper targets well and moved to position B. Got to the position and couldn't hit the plates to save my life! Actually ended up timing out the stage after hitting only 2 of the 5. I'm not sure if if my barrel got hot enough to change the POI enough or what. :wacko: That will be the next thing on the list to test next time I hit the range.

And of course shotgun loading always needs work. There was an all shotgun jungle run stage through the woods that my loads looked really slow on film but I ended up 4th overall in my division on that stage.

Hopefully will have my Limited gun soon so I can start practicing with that as well not also be able to not have to reload after 8 rounds when shooting 3gun, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Local match at Fort Wayne today. Good to get things back on its feet out there. Hopefully we can keep the good feelings going. A big thank you to everyone who came out to help us get going again.

As for my shooting, I wasn't sure how I'd do as I haven't been practicing much with my Single Stack gear as I've been expecting my new Limited gun soon. Surprisingly, I shot pretty well. 1 Mike on the day when I got a little flustered after a bobbled reload (maybe I should practiced those a bit... :unsure:). Seemed to see my sights pretty well and my stage plans were executed like I wanted to. I ended up winning Single Stack and 4th overall out of 22 behind a couple open shooters and M-class Production guru. Even managed to finish HOA for the day on one stage which feels good too. Pretty happy with my performance overall.

Did you get any videos of our amazing stages?

Local match at Fort Wayne today. Good to get things back on its feet out there. Hopefully we can keep the good feelings going. A big thank you to everyone who came out to help us get going again.

As for my shooting, I wasn't sure how I'd do as I haven't been practicing much with my Single Stack gear as I've been expecting my new Limited gun soon. Surprisingly, I shot pretty well. 1 Mike on the day when I got a little flustered after a bobbled reload (maybe I should practiced those a bit... :unsure:). Seemed to see my sights pretty well and my stage plans were executed like I wanted to. I ended up winning Single Stack and 4th overall out of 22 behind a couple open shooters and M-class Production guru. Even managed to finish HOA for the day on one stage which feels good too. Pretty happy with my performance overall.

Who was HOA? Ryan?

Check your email ;) (you may have to give me your email if its not the same one Brent gave with his EZWinscore database).

And no, I left my damn camera at home this morning :angry:

Man, I didn't know you got hooked up with emails from Brent. I saw results on USPSA. Duh, my bad, I should have known you'd be on it, like that classifier you smoked today, congrats on that!!!

Setting and running a match that you also shoot can be tedious. You did outstanding today!

The match and stages were GREAT!! Good job all around.

Edited to say: I had my vid equipment and didn't tape a single stage. Both Phil and I, didn't think of it till it was all over!! So it wasn't just you.

Edited by fourtrax

I was fairly happy with the classifier stage, especially when I saw i got HOA for the day on it. Ran the HF thru CMcalc, its only a 69% for SS <_<. It must be higher than we originally assumed...

I had my vid equipment and didn't tape a single stage. Both Phil and I, didn't think of it till it was all over!! So it wasn't just you.

Ditto. mine rode along in the range bag all morning and never thought to turn it on.....

d'oh.

-rvb

Who was HOA? Ryan?

against you dot ridin', big-stick loadin', major scorin' open hosers? :roflol: I don't think so! Pick a fair fight, won't you? :sight: You know how many damn mags I had to pick up off that table and stow on my belt? I bet you WOULD hit a kid with glasses, huh?

:)

Seriously, good shooting, both you and Corey. We'll have to try to squad together next time. Maybe one of us will think to turn on a camera.

-rvb

• 3 weeks later...

Update time, haven't post here much. Shot the Angola match last weekend. Ended up winning SS barely, even after tanking a couple stages pretty hard. Shot a couple others really well so they must have made up the difference.

I havent been practicing that much lately with my SS gear as I'm anticipating my new Limited gun soon. Hopefully it gets finished so i can get some quality range time with it before State. Planning on shooting SS this weekend at Warsaw.

Also just got home from Camp Perry. Its that time of year again and Ill be super busy for the next month and a half. Working off and on up there, plenty of pistol matches leading up to IN Sectional end of July, shooting in the inaugural National Defense Match at Camp Perry in early August, then Rock Castle Pro-Am end of the month. Gonna be busy!! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I think Im all packed and ready for the IN Sectional this weekend. Shooting tomorrow and RO'ing Sat/Sun. Should be warm, just hope someone remembers to turn on the A/C at the range.... :roflol:

Did some practice with my Limited rig (belt/holster) and the SV I'm shooting for the match. We'll see what tomorrow brings... :mellow:

Good luck to everyone shooting the match and say hi when you swing through my stage (10 I think). :cheers:

ETA: Western mustache is in full effect. picking up my cowboy hat in the morning :goof: