Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon vs hornady reloaders

rage01

Just the fact that Hornady has followers on here, known ad a dillon board, speaks volumes!

And why not... The LNL AP has the features of a 650 and priced like a 550 with a better powder measure and more cost effective caliber changes!

Oh yea... I will never understand manual indexing, just a chance for a double charge imho.

:devil:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon is like Coke.

There is no Pepsi.

Some people like lemonade.

That about sums it up!,

I have Dillon 1050's because I don't have time (hate) to reload........

with 1050's & bulletfeeders , I'm about 2.5 to 3 minutes per 100 rounds...

I'm sure Hornaday makes fine stuff, but I'll stick with my Dillons

I hate reloading too.. and if it's only a few minutes/100 I'll likely make the move someday. But for now I still don't even have a casefeeder. :(

Edited by lugnut

I own both. I bought an open gun a few weeks ago and it came with an XL650 with case feeder in the deal, with all the bells and whistles. I sold it, kept my LNL.

I have an XL650 with case feed as well as the Hornady LNL with Case feed.

I use the Hornady Powder measure on the Dillon, enough said.

Which is better, well the warranty on both is good, I broke both on the same day, the Dillon part arrived one day earlier. No questons asked by either and no cost.

If you make a lot of caliber changes get the Hornady its easier and will save you a ton of money. If your not getting a case feeder get the Hornady, without case feeder the Dillon is a aggie loader putting brass in with one hand and bullets with the other, with the Hornady one hand stays on the ram and the other does the shuffling.

I leave the XL650 set up for what I primarily shoot and don't change it. The Hornady loads everything else. I always run 500 to 1000 rounds any time I sit down at either.

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one and there is very little cost difference when you copare them with the Case Feeder. You don't need the strong mount or the roller handle.

And by all means if your buying a Dillon get it from Brian Enos. Used 650's are hard to come buy and they won't go for a song so just bite the bullet and get it. There was a fight over the one I sold for $650 only $100 less than retail price, and several people are still mad about it.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Dillon is like Coke.

There is no Pepsi.

That about sums it up!,

9 x 21 what bullet feeder are you using?

I have two 1050's and a 550 and would not trade them for anything for all of the reasons already said. As I read in a book once though, it really isn'nt a matter of which progressive you have; just that you have one...

ok, here is some real world experience, from someone who owns a variety of hornady presses'......the lock n load AP, is a very nice machine....it defines the mid range segment of the market....it produces adequate ammo, just like any other press at any price point....the real key is, how do you get to that adequate ammo....the hornady presses I have are not w/o problems....they have certain design flaws, as ANY mechanical device does....rather than list those flaws and start some debate, let me just put it simply....

the hornady products are very good presses' for the money....they offer value ease of use and turn out good ammo....they are NOT precision tools, like Dillon presses'....I repeat NOT precision devices....they suffer from some QC issues and need more maint. and adjustment than a Dillion....you can't simply set-up your hornady and leave it as is for 10 years...you will have to clean certain mechanisms and adjust the timing every so often, to keep it working correctly...

if I had it to do over again, I would still buy the hornady machine, simply because of cost....customer service and warranty is a moot point....I have called hornady with a few problems, and they have gone out of their way to listen to me, be courteous and ship me entire parts assemblies, no questions asked, at their expense....they didn't even ask me for registration info. or anything....the real key here is, would I have these problems and service issues with a Dillon machine....that I can't say for sure, since I don't own a Dillon....but of the folks I know who own them....I have not heard of the same kind of problems....they simply work....

I would take into account a few things....how much do you plan on loading....what kind of ammo....how much experience do you have....what is your overall goal?

comparing the 550b and the lock n load is not fair....they are NOT the same kind of machine....550 vs. lock n load AP, I would pick the lock n load....hands down....lock n load vs. 650...well I would have a tough call there...by the time you factor in the other things you will need to make the lock n load function properly, and run as smoothly as the 650, cost is no longer an issue....in the long run $200 won't make a difference....that being the case...I would say 650 (yes I am a hornady owner)....

also consider that Dillon has a much better powder check option, a better system of low supply sensors (low primers/low powder)....only trouble with Dillon, is that it won't be as cheap or easy to change calibers...the lock n load bushings are awesome...simply drop in new dies on the hornady and a new powder assembly and you are ready to go...if you buy multiple tool heads and measures for the Dillon, then that benefit is also moot, but at a large expense...

I think your situation is one that a lot of folks find themselves in...if you are just starting buy the hornady and see if reloading is something you really want to do....if you are convinced that you will keep doing it, then just bypass the trouble and get a Dillon....I know that I will eventually wind up getting one myself...I won't throw away or sell my hornady (it's a great tool), but for volume and precision in one specific caliber, I can't imagine that ANYTHING will beat a 1050...simply the fact that you can adjust primer seating depth and that it primes on the down stroke, is enough to sell me on that machine.....as soon as I can justify the expense of the 1050 and a bullet feeder, then that is the route I will go

one more thing to note....I have NEVER had a primer mis-feed or detonation on my Hornady...the dillon priming system is a bit different, and I can see that if you had a detonation on a Dillon, it might be a bit more catastrophic then on a hornady....

as far as single stage presses...I have a hornady lock n load....and it's great...soild build, easy to change dies on.....and as any mechanical device, it'e own set of problems....one thing to note....hornady paint finishes DO NOT like solvents during clean up....I tried to spray my single stage press down with solvent once and it melted the paint (no good)....

to sum it up....if you plan on doing this and are sure you will stick with it, bypass the hornady and get a dillon 650 or 1050....if you aren't sure and just want to dip your foot in the pool, get the hornady and upgrade to a 1050 when you feel it's necessary....I have no doubt that you will be able to accomplish the same task on BOTH presses....again it's just a matter of how you get there...

good luck

Just looking to get started in the reloading I have no experience and have been watching videos and looking at manuals.I am looking at the Hornady LNL AP(lock and load) PRESS and the DILLON 550B PRESS.Any help would be great.I like things on both of them and have watched the set-up vedios on both and seem to be about the same.THANKS RAGE01.

You wouldn't believe how many customers I've had on the phone that are upgrading their LnL to a Dillon.

be

Just looking to get started in the reloading I have no experience and have been watching videos and looking at manuals.I am looking at the Hornady LNL AP(lock and load) PRESS and the DILLON 550B PRESS.Any help would be great.I like things on both of them and have watched the set-up vedios on both and seem to be about the same.THANKS RAGE01.

You wouldn't believe how many customers I've had on the phone that are upgrading their LnL to a Dillon.

be

Damn- I love my LNL. This really makes me intrigued and want a Dillon all by itself!!

Another LNL lover here, but you really can't go wrong with either manufacturer. While everyone raves about the Dillon customer service, I will tell you that Hornady customer service is equal in every way. As everyone else has noted, you need to compare the LNL to the 650. My recommendation is to purchase whichever (650 or LNL) fits your budget.

Personally, if I ever decide to purchase a second press, I'll probably go Dillon just to be able to have a first hand comparison.

I own the Hornady LNL and it gets the job done. I'd have to agree that you can't go wrong with a Dillon SDB, Hornady LNL, Dillon 650, or a Dillon 1050. It depends on how much you can spend, where you are and where you think you're going. I am chosing the LNL over the 550 and the 650 over the LNL.

be

Would you mind elaborating ? Why are they upgrading and what do they perceive to gain from it? Upgrading to what ? 550, 650, 1050 with Casefeeder/bullet feeder, or just the press?

Just curious from a Happy LnLAP user.. (for the time being).

Edited by DWFAN

Yeah, that's like buy term, invest the difference....except, in the real world, nobody actually does invest the difference. Did you?

Such a point is analytically meaningless.

It doesn't matter if you chose to do so, the mere fact that you have the option renders your decision one that has opportunity cost.

Economic decisions, their utility, etc., are ultimately decisions made based not on merely the utility gained from the good or service, but also from the opportunity cost.

Case in point, I have a Dillon 550b already with all the trimmings. I'm pretty sure I have something like ~$1500 in reloading equipment.

If I had it to do all over again, would I buy the Hornady? Maybe I would. My experience with Hornady's customer service has been so-so. I had a sizing die that'd stick every 3rd or 4th case. They wanted me to play amateur machinist and polish it. I paid for a new decapping pin after i broke it trying to get a stuck case out, and the die kept sticking cases. Finally, I complained enough that they sent me a new die, but that was weeks and much frustration later.

With that said, the LNL is an exceptional value. Among the choices that I know are available, the above aggravation might (subjectively) be worth the few hundred dollars saved by buying a different press. And because they've been offering that free bullet racket for quite some time, the difference in value really could/can reach hundreds of dollars when compared to the Dillon 650.

So, if I had it to do all over again, I might (rationally) think that Dillon's customer service, which is flawless, no BS, and to be envied by every manufacturer of reloading equipment, wasn't worth the extra hundred bucks or so, I might very well choose the Hornady over the Dillon.

How do I know this? Because perfectly reasonable people who know their stuff, have reloaded for years, and understand how a press operates still buy the Hornady every day. And deep down, we, as owners of "Blue," know that Hornady is putting out a decent product.

So, if I had it do do all over again, would I go with the Hornady? My intuition suggests no. But I won't claim that I didn't pay a little more up front for the piece of mind that Dillon's customer service provides. I can say, however, that since my shooting is ultimately a leisure activity, that I'd rather be on the phone or email with Dillon getting free parts to fix my machine than arguing with the people at Hornady about who's responsible for the fact that their product is/wasn't performing as desired.

This is a place where reasonable people disagree. My choice was Blue, and I think my choice would still be the same. After all, the discussions at matches aren't which brand are you using, but rather, do you have a SDB, 550, 650, or a 1050...because it's just basically assumed that Dillon's equipment is loading one's ammo...and for good reason.

The main difference I see is this

Dillon owners tend to set the press for a load and just keep feeding brass into it. They are the kind of guys that throw money at a problem to solve it.

Hornady owners tend to tinker or tweek their loads and load more calibers on their press.

No polls, in depth research, or data, just a view of the reloaders I know

One other thing I was thinking about. There seem to more people than ever getting into reloading recently with the ammo costs going thru the roof. I suspsect many of these people, that may not have got into reloading prior to this increase, are VERY cost sensitive. This has worked in Hornady's favor for sure by offering a good system for decent money WITH lots of free bullets. People that are the die hard reloaders for years... well they would likely stay with Dillon since- heck it just works.

Here's the thing I think. Hornady WILL capture some die hard shooters (like myself now) as they do have a great product and from what I've experienced as well as others- they do have great CS. I'd say that well more than 50% of the action shooters in my area that just got into reloading- went with Hornday LNL. I even know a serious reloader that had Dillon and switched...I've had friends that have checked out my set up and said they thought the machine we better than their Dillon fwiw.

Point is it is great to have a couple of soild options... competition is good no?

Edited by lugnut

Yeah, that's like buy term, invest the difference....except, in the real world, nobody actually does invest the difference. Did you?

Such a point is analytically meaningless.

It doesn't matter if you chose to do so, the mere fact that you have the option renders your decision one that has opportunity cost.

Economic decisions, their utility, etc., are ultimately decisions made based not on merely the utility gained from the good or service, but also from the opportunity cost.

Case in point, I have a Dillon 550b already with all the trimmings. I'm pretty sure I have something like ~$1500 in reloading equipment.

If I had it to do all over again, would I buy the Hornady? Maybe I would. My experience with Hornady's customer service has been so-so. I had a sizing die that'd stick every 3rd or 4th case. They wanted me to play amateur machinist and polish it. I paid for a new decapping pin after i broke it trying to get a stuck case out, and the die kept sticking cases. Finally, I complained enough that they sent me a new die, but that was weeks and much frustration later.

FYI, the new "New Dimension" Nitride dies that Hornady is selling these days include a spare decapping pin.

When I had a problem with spent primers getting stuck on the decapping pin and then caught in the primer pocket on the ram's downstroke, Hornady polished up a couple of them and sent them to me no charge . . . even though I had a spare and told them so. In the end, the problem turned out to be that the pin was a little loose, not that it was bent or burred.

Sorry you had a bad experience. The two incidents I had during the initial setup and tweaking of my LnL AP were as good as customer services gets.

Edited by Dodge DeBoulet

Hmmm. Dillon vs. Hornady, huh? That is an interesting question. I have been a Dillon user, 550B and Super 1050, for 8 years or so and they were bought directly from Dillon. Neither of my presses were setup correctly right out of the box and they both required me to make various changes and tweeks to the designs before they would run through even 100 rounds without stopping. The 1050 required that a major safety feature be disabled before the press would run continuously. In fact, they both still require constant adjustments and attention. In Dillon's defense, their tech support IS excellent. Probably second to none in this industry. Unfortunatley, I would not need it to be, if the presses did not give me a lot of problems. In both cases, Dillon tech support did walk me through these issues but realistically I feel that they should have all been addressed and fixed long ago with design changes. If you do research in the Dillon forum here you will see most of the issues that I have run across with both presses documented here by a significant number of users. Admittedly, I have never owned a Hornady press so they may also require a lot of maintenance and tweeking. Maybe this is just part of owning ANY reloading setup? When I am ready for another press will I dump my Dillons and move to Hornadys? I don't know but I will carefully assess ALL of the options available next time around.

be

Would you mind elaborating ? Why are they upgrading and what do they perceive to gain from it? Upgrading to what ? 550, 650, 1050 with Casefeeder/bullet feeder, or just the press?

Just curious from a Happy LnLAP user.. (for the time being).

Sorry, I should have been more specific. "Upgrading" in the sense that they were fairly happy with the LnL overall, but there were 1 - 2 areas of the press that they just couldn't make consittently reliable. Consistent priming is one I remember. Often, guys were "upgrading" from the LnL to a 650, or occasionally a 1050, because they had loaded on a friend's 650 or 1050.

be

People are going to say the 550 and LnL are not apples to apples. Well neither is the 650 to LnL. LnL is just different all the way around. But consider these points about the 550 and LnL. Both with out the casefeeder, both as shipped from the manufacture.

1) LnL does not have a low primer alarm. To me that maters. RCBS one will fit the LnL. Midway sells it.

2) LnL is a 5 station press. True, But it's ships set up as a 4 station press because you have to use one of the stations to flare the case. So what the LnL (as shipped) does in 5 stations the 550 does in 4 stations.

3) To make the LnL a 5 station press you are going to need to buy the Hornady PTX dies (which are not nearly as good as Dillons setup) or get the PTX setup sold by another guy who made a universal PTX setup for the Hornady Powder Measure. 650 ships with the ability to charge the case with powder and flare the case mouth all at the same time, and it's seemless. Hornady, not so seemless unless you get the aftermarket version. To be fair some people have had good luck with Hornady's PTX setup but a lot of people have not.

4) Hornady has much cheaper calber conversions and even a nice micrometer for the powder measure. UniqueTek sells them for Dillon but cost more.

5) Hornady seems to have a steeper learning curve but since the EZ Eject upgrade seems to be making people happy.

6) Back to the 550 vs LnL. As shipped, running them with out a casefeeder the LnL loads the bullet and the case with your left hand. The 550 loads the bullet from the left hand and the case from the right hand. Both hands are always working with the 550. LnL requires you to either grab a bullet and a case at the same time and juggle them into the right spots, or move the left hand twice for every pull of the handle.

7) If you decide to get a 550 then remember this. Learn to seat your bullets in station #2. You will not be able to double charge the case if you do that. It also makes the press run faster. I can load 500rds a hour and even faster in burst (people like to brag about bursts). No case feeder.

8) If you think you are going to get a casefeeder pass on the 550.

9) With out a casefeeder the lack of indexing does not really slow you down. 550 is a wonderfully simple machine. It's a wonderful press that gets a bad rap for not having auto indexing. Thats a shame. Casefeeder complicates the 550 and kind of takes the charm out of it. But, I still like the casefeeder on my 550. Get the 650/LnL if you want a casefeeder. LnL casefeeder is more expensive then the Dillon version.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Dillon is like Coke.

There is no Pepsi.

That about sums it up!,

9 x 21 what bullet feeder are you using?

I have two 1050's and a 550 and would not trade them for anything for all of the reasons already said. As I read in a book once though, it really isn'nt a matter of which progressive you have; just that you have one...

I have two KISS (now aka Mr Bulletfeeder) feeders, they are awesome!

I recently got an RCBS, but I still working out the kinks for use on a 1050. They look good for 550 /650's though........

Edited by 9x21

2) LnL is a 5 station press. True, But it's ships set up as a 4 station press because you have to use one of the stations to flare the case. So what the LnL (as shipped) does in 5 stations the 550 does in 4 stations.

It is a 5 station press while in all fairness the PTEs are dirt cheap, but to really get good use of 5 stations you do need them.

3) To make the LnL a 5 station press you are going to need to buy the Hornady PTX dies (which are not nearly as good as Dillons setup) or get the PTX setup sold by another guy who made a universal PTX setup for the Hornady Powder Measure. 650 ships with the ability to charge the case with powder and flare the case mouth all at the same time, and it's seemless. Hornady, not so seemless unless you get the aftermarket version. To be fair some people have had good luck with Hornady's PTX setup but a lot of people have not.

I use the Hornady PTEs and they work good for me, it may take a tad to get the belling correct but once you do it is seemless. 9mm/short cases are the trickiest. But once it's set, its set!

6) Back to the 550 vs LnL. As shipped, running them with out a casefeeder the LnL loads the bullet and the case with your left hand. The 550 loads the bullet from the left hand and the case from the right hand. Both hands are always working with the 550. LnL requires you to either grab a bullet and a case at the same time and juggle them into the right spots, or move the left hand twice for every pull of the handle.

Not sure why you say this. I have no casefeeder. Load cases with left hand, bullets with right hand. Most of you assessment it close but this one is way off.

Edited by lugnut

I agree with previous posts that compare the LNL-AP to the 650. Both are good really good machines, and IMO you can't really go wrong with either one. Both presses have some weaknesses (e.g. primer handling) but with online knowledge resources and Dillon/Hornady customer support it's not a big problem.

LNL-AP is a great value especiallly if you consider the Free Bullets program that they were running (I believe it expired 31 DEC 2009 but not sure). My friend Bronco4me has one and he is delighted with it. It took a little tinkering to get it dialed in but that applies to any press you get, including the Dillons. The ammo coming off his press is quality stuff. Hornady customer service is top notch also.

The 650 costs a little more (and no free bullet program)... but the minor cost difference may be irrelevant when you consider Dillon's support infrastructure (both Dillon Corporate and the huge community of expert users). It's widely accepted that Dillon customer service is the benchmark for excellence. The knowledge base for Dillon is vast, considering that it has been the de-facto standard for consumer-level progressive reloading since the early 80's. Need help setting up your press or debugging a problem? Dillon "Power Users" seem to outnumber all others... they are all over the internet forums, at every USPSA venue, and in all likelihood there are some in your local shooting community right now.

In my little desert hamlet (a community of about 25 thousand), I know of exactly one Hornady progressive user. I personally know at least a dozen Dillon loyalists here, running the gamut from SDBs to 650s and at least one Super 1050. Pretty much all the local Dillonites keep some spare parts, so if one of us needs something NOW it is probably a phone call and a few minutes drive away.

Yes, I do use the Hornady LNL AP and absolutely love it! It took a short time to get the "bugs" smoothed, but that's just a part of setting up a new press. I also own an old Hornady/Pacific-007 single stage press ( now called the Lock and Load classic sans the bushing system) which I bought new in 1982. I can tell you that Hornady supports their stuff every bit as good as Dillon, as I have broken a few parts over the years. :rolleyes: Just like Dillon, you won't get the third degree on *how* the part broke; you just get a new part mailed to you that day. I suppose I better add that I'm a Dillon fan too and a former Dillon 550 owner. I like Blue every bit as well as I like Red, and as long as money is an independent variable, just pick the color you like best. There are pros and cons with each and the passionate will debate the points with more vigor than I care to listen to. Be confidant in knowing that you won't go wrong with either one.... :D

*Check out this link for a great write up on the whole Hornady vs. Dillon vs. Lee progressive presses.

Edited by Bronco4me

Not sure why you say this. I have no casefeeder. Load cases with left hand, bullets with right hand. Most of you assessment it close but this one is way off.

Because the press has a bar at about 5:00 when looking from above that is right next the the handle. If you have a powder check die and a flare die it's going to be a long reach around from the right with your right hand. If you have a PTX on the Powder Measure then you can easily do it from the right it would seem because you moved everything one station counterclockwise.

Because the press has a bar at about 5:00 when looking from above that is right next the the handle. If you have a powder check die and a flare die it's going to be a long reach around from the right with your right hand. If you have a PTX on the Powder Measure then you can easily do it from the right it would seem because you moved everything one station counterclockwise.

Yes, with the PTE it's a piece of cake with your right hand...

Station 1- decap/size

Station 2-Powder/PTE

Station 3-Powder COP

Station 4-Seating

Station 5-Crimp

No one has said anything about the buttons vs. spring for case retention. I think the Hornady spring makes it easier to get cases in/out of the shellplate, but they do get chewed up and need replacing once in a while. With the buttons, I always felt like I was going to loose the button, and it was harder to get in/out. However, the buttons held the cases in place, and never broke or needed replacement.