Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Brass

Rufus The Bum

Well I bought 5000 once fired .40 brass cases, they came in and I began to reload. I noticed they were all the same headstamp and had a red primer sealer, not a problem whatsoever, but what I noticed was that EVERY case was fired through a Glock. Out of 500 I loaded, only 35 passed my case gage.

I thought I had screwed something up, so out of curiosity, I loaded about 50 using non-Glock fired brass and every single case passed the gage.

I used to think the guys who swore by never using Glock brass were just being silly until I found out for myself. BIG lesson to be learned here. .40 brass is so cheap for a reason. Mainly because most of it is fired through Glocks.

Does anyone know where I can buy Non-Glock fired brass?

Rufus,

I don't understand your concerns.

I usually reload glock-fired brass for my SVI Competition in .40SW, and never had any problem with them.

Here is my set-up:

Lee Pro-1000 press,

Lee .40SW 4-set dies (including FCD),

Local-made 180grs FP lead and plated bullets,

4.6/4.9 grs of VV N320,

1.170" OAL.

The lead reloads won't usually pass the gauge test (they wont go all the way, they stop about 0.05" from the bottom) but will all drop freely in my barrel chamber, while the plated reloads will perfectly fit the gauge.

I have set the resizing and FCD dies as close as possible to the shell plate (I can slide a sheet of paper between die and plate), but not to touch it (the carbide ring inside the dies could break upon repeatedly hitting the plate).

I can report, in about 32k rounds shot, maybe 4 or 5 failures fo feed, mostly due to experimentation while limp-wristing the gun, or while shooting prone, with gun butt resting on the ground.

I'm using:

Dillon 550

Hornady Size/decap die

Lee FCD

Loaded to 1.190

I usta to get nearly 100 percent pass on the case gage when I was loading on a single stage, with this progressive though it's not the same story. My FCD and size die are right on the shellplate, almost touching. I haven't had any failure-to-feeds to speak of using this 550, but for a major match, I might think about resizing on a single stage, then run the brass through my 550. I don't know....

Rufus,

You might want to try adding the Lee undersized dies to your setup. Also, don't be afraid of having the Sizing die and the FCD die kiss the shell plate. Also, could your sizing case guage be a little "overzealous".

I load Glock brass all the time to shoot in my STI and 99% pass the chamber check guage.

-- Bucky.

Well,

first of all, if your reloads fail the gauge test, but pass the chamber one, I wouldn't be worried, the reloads will be all suitable for your gun.

Second, did you use the same dies, brass, bullets etc. when loading with the single stage press?

Maybe the problem is the toolhead?

I know that with my Lee, the toolhead is not very tight with the press frame, it can move about .5mm in height, thus when I crank the lever up, the toolhead rises a bit and this might lead to slightly different resizing depth, OALs, crimp and so on.

Again, if your 550 reloads with glock-fired brass fail the gauge test, but you cannot report any FTF, I wouldn't be concerned about that.

I used to have the same problem, I fixed it simply :

Took a spare decapping/resizing Lee tool with the carbide ring and trimmed it a little until the bevel was the shortest possible.

By doing so, the case is re-calibrated the lowest possible.

The case bulge dissapeared and now, unless for matches, i don't have to worry anymore about brass.

Thankfully my father loves me to death (for whatever reason) and resized all my .40 brass on his Rock Chucker, hitting it twice with a 180 degree rotation between (yes he's that meticulous....and insane).

However, no longer.

Case-Pro.

Resize 1000 pieces in under an hour...no problem. It's not that expensive, when you consider, time and quality of brass that you get out of it.

With pops, I got 100% of brass used. With the Case-Pro, somewhere around 95-98%. Can't complain. Problem solved.

Rich

Get a EGW die, just as Erik indicated. I bought one several months ago, wishing that I would of done so earlier. Running all your loads through case gauge becomes annoying after time. Dont need case lube either.

Tony

I am having trouble locating the Lee "U" dies, I need both 9mm and 40 S&W. I looked on the Lee web site and couldn't find any info on the "U" die. I saw EGW's ad and dropped them a note asking if I could purchase online but got no response.