Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

considering getting a dog

The only dog I have been bitten by in my adult life was a dobie that my first boss had. It was a fairly young (2-3 year old) male that had probably been abused. My childhood best friend had a female that never showed any aggressive tendencies and was a great family dog. When I was a kid we had two dobies, a brother and sister we got as pups. The female was a good dog, but the male went "missing" before it was full grown. Once I was grown up, my dad told me he shot it because it was aggressive towards him and others. We had several German Shepherds growing up and never had any problems. That being said any negative information I have about Dobies is just anecdotal. That being said I wouldn't own a male with my kids.

I have had good experiences with Pit Bull Terriers. My in laws own 2, a male and a female, and they are both wonderful with my small children. If my backyard fence had been up when they had a litter of pups a few years ago I would have brought one of the pups home.

My brother in law has an Anatolian Shepherd. His kids climb all over it and it doesn't mind. I wouldn't want him mad at me though........

Edited when I saw Moxie........

Cool dog. Rescues will love you forever and the mutt blood will eliminate most of the Shepherds health problems...........

Edited by Calmwater

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had four Labs and two Dobermans. If you want a smart family dog get the Doberman and cut the nuts off a male.

They are smart and will test you. But they are worth every dollar in loyalty and brains in watching out for your family and property.

We now have two and both are fine with kids and neighbors. The dogs know and tell us if a AssHxlX is at the door or a friend.

They like the UPS man who brings primers and stuff.

Buy from a local breeder who has twenty years or more of experience and history.

If you can arrange it don't dock the tail and don't crop the ears. Makes for a hound dog look and the dogs are happy to knock you in the nuts with the tail.

I predict you have two weeks to a month before she begins the transformation into a hell raising troublemaker :devil: . Well, maybe not quite that bad but do start training to reinforce her desirable behavior traits. Good things like not running out the front door, ignoring food on the counter, and not pulling on leash may be because she is cautious in a new environment, not because she knows they are the right things to do. As she becomes more comfortable and starts exploring her new world you will wonder what happened to that calm, quiet dog you brought home.

And yes, I speak from experience and also have to admit that the training advice falls into the "do as I say, not as I do (did)" category.

Brad

Hi Brad

We've already started with the training, for example, she has to sit when we put the leash on or take it off and she has to sit before we open the door to go in or out the house.

We've already had a family talk about being really consistent with her on the dos and don'ts, so I think as long as we stay consistent she'll be fine.

We have a German Shepard-Australian Shepard mix that we got locally from the paper. He is great with our 3 year old daughter. We got him as a puppy and we really did not have to train him much with her. He just kind of knew that she was smaller and has been great! My daughter can take bones etc right out of his mouth and he doesn't flinch. The only thing that he has trouble with is realizing that he is 75lbs :P He wants to be in your lap when you sit on the couch.....