Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well I got a Saiga for Christmas now I need to get it set up.

Alaskapopo

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355...nt=Saiga121.jpg

I am really interested in the work R&R racing does but boy it is expensive. I can not afford the open package. I was thinking of doing the tactical package but I would still want a red dot sight mount. Then I thought about doing the conversion myself and trying to make it work with standard rock in mags. I have no idea how you guys load these in a match you pretty much have to have the bolt back to get the mags in.

Anyway give me some advice guys.

Pat

Well there is alot of info out there....I have two S-12's and the one with the mag well is my main 3gun open shotgun. Personally I would do the conversion myself and just build the gun up as you go along including the mag well. You may find that the S-12 is not for you so why go drop a ton of $$....I have bought most of my parts from www.carolinashooterssupply.com super fast service.

If you want to do the conversion yourself, give me a call and I can get you everything you need.

With the JT Engineering magwell we sell you can insert mags straight in easily without pulling the bolt back.

All of the parts are easy to install including the magwell. There are several videos on my site showing how easy it is.

Edited by Greg Q

Those are all good options above but for another option, Jim at Firebird precision will do your saiga up to almost any level you want it done. You can see some of his work on his saiga at: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88830

Here is a post by a guy just had Jim do a "few" tricks on his gun: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96199

No, I don't work for Jim but I have great confidence in his abilities & his workmanship & I shoot one of his AR15s. Here is his vendor page: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=168

MLM

If you want to do the conversion yourself, give me a call and I can get you everything you need.

With the JT Engineering magwell we sell you can insert mags straight in easily without pulling the bolt back.

All of the parts are easy to install including the magwell. There are several videos on my site showing how easy it is.

Cool I will call you guys on monday if you are open.

Pat

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING go shoot 100 rounds through it to make sure it works. There's no reason to start putting money in it if it doesn't run. There are a lot of guns with misaligned gas ports floating around. Easy enough to fix if you want to, but better to find out before you bolt a bunch of other stuff onto it. Personally if it doesn't run out of the box, send it back and get another one.

You can do a basic conversion for about $150; this includes new stock set, Tromix Trigger Guard, and Fire control. The next thing is a better sighting system; either a rail to mount optics or the Kreb's Iron sights. AK builder.com has a winchoke adapter if you want to use choke.

Cool I will call you guys on monday if you are open.

Pat

Monday-Friday 10am-8pm EST

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING go shoot 100 rounds through it to make sure it works. There's no reason to start putting money in it if it doesn't run. There are a lot of guns with misaligned gas ports floating around. Easy enough to fix if you want to, but better to find out before you bolt a bunch of other stuff onto it. Personally if it doesn't run out of the box, send it back and get another one.

You can do a basic conversion for about $150; this includes new stock set, Tromix Trigger Guard, and Fire control. The next thing is a better sighting system; either a rail to mount optics or the Kreb's Iron sights. AK builder.com has a winchoke adapter if you want to use choke.

I will test fire it soon. Have to wait for my RDO's for that. Thanks for all the help guys. How important is it to have a push in mag well. Can i still use drums with this type of mag well. I know drums are not usefull for the game but I want one for a cool factor.

Pat

The MD Arms 20-round drum does not work with the current mag well designs. I'm not sure I agree that the mag well is worth losing the drum capability for, unless you are shooting under USPSA rules (and thus limited to 10+1). Most multigun shotgun stages require less than 20 rounds, and if the drum runs 100% it can be a significant advantage. The only time you would need to change mags would be for ultra-long stages, stages with mixed shot/slug, and if you miss a lot :roflol: . Reloading with the original hook-and-lock mags is not that painful once you get used to it. If I were you, I would do a basic PG conversion myself - only a few hundred $$$ - and run the gun that way for a while to see how you like it.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I believe StealthyBlagga is correct in I don't think there is a magazine well out there that will let you use the drum magazine. However, R and R produces a 20 round magazine for the straight in magazine well. Of course the CDI factor is not as good but it works for stages for sure.

Good luck with finding and selecting parts for the gun, I was also told it was an easy fit to put some of these parts on but found out quick I needed a mill at least.

All the other comments "SinistralRifleman" about test shooting are good advice. It is amazing how some Saigas come with 2,3 and 4 gas ports...I believe it is a crap shoot and I like the 4 gas ports better but that is just my opinion. I got one with the 2 ports and it wouldn't run. I had Robert take the gas port off and drill some more holes for me. It was easier than going through the hassle of returning the gun because it didn't work with my ammo.

Plus 2 for the Krebs iron sight front for the Saiga...great piece of gear. Even though I have yet to see/try any other.

I wish someone gave me a Saiga for Christmas:-)

RLTW,

Scott

I believe StealthyBlagga is correct in I don't think there is a magazine well out there that will let you use the drum magazine. However, R and R produces a 20 round magazine for the straight in magazine well. Of course the CDI factor is not as good but it works for stages for sure.

Good luck with finding and selecting parts for the gun, I was also told it was an easy fit to put some of these parts on but found out quick I needed a mill at least.

All the other comments "SinistralRifleman" about test shooting are good advice. It is amazing how some Saigas come with 2,3 and 4 gas ports...I believe it is a crap shoot and I like the 4 gas ports better but that is just my opinion. I got one with the 2 ports and it wouldn't run. I had Robert take the gas port off and drill some more holes for me. It was easier than going through the hassle of returning the gun because it didn't work with my ammo.

Plus 2 for the Krebs iron sight front for the Saiga...great piece of gear. Even though I have yet to see/try any other.

I wish someone gave me a Saiga for Christmas:-)

RLTW,

Scott

I shot it today guys and it runs. Now I need to call some people and figure out what I need and what I can afford. I want it to be easier to reload. I want it to stay reliable. I want a red dot sight. I also want a collapsible stock and a pistol grip.

Pat