Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs hitting high with M1

Rob01

Well I took my HK/Benelli M1 Super90 out today to sight it in for slugs and found they are all hitting high at 50 yards by about 10" and that is with the rear sight all the way down. It has the older style rear sight which is adjusted with a tension screw. It can't go down anymore. Am I going backwards bring the rear sight down to bring POI down? I don't think so but I have been wrong before ;)

I was thinking of using some small washers to shim up the front sight as the nut has about .15" of thread showing so I should be able to get the POI down enough with that. Good idea? Any other ideas? Any help appreciated.

Not quite the same but with my M2 and a FO front sight. Aim low... Nope, not being a smartass - or not particularly anyway. :) My M2 shoots about 6" high @ 50 with slugs and I just aim at the lower 1/3 of the center mass and hits right in the A zone. Good check weld and bury half the dot with the rib and it shoots like a bullseye gun - a bottom of the circle hold puts me right in the center. Works out to about 60 yards then I hold right on to 100.

Thanks and I asked for any info so I don't think you're a smart ass. That's what I was doing today and making hits but I would rather be a little closer than 10" at 50 yards. I was about 4" high at 25 yards. I might try one washer under the front sight pin. That should get me close to being on at 25 yards and maybe a little high at 50.

Rob, it's hard to imagine Merlin not being a smarta_ _. On my M2 field, I put a .156 spacer under the HiViz front sight, and probably could have gone a bit higher. That's about the best way to do it.

Note, that my, and probably Merlin's are field models, with ribs not rifle sights.

• 5 weeks later...

to get anything close to point of aim (which varies with slug manufacture)on my M1S90 Field, I installed a 10/22 flip up sight, and to get the front high enough ended up with a HiViz turkey sight with second tallest light pipe. Shoots Federal reduced recoil slugs about 2in high at 50m. Fiocci 7/8 oz to same point but not as reliable, especially at 27 degrees at Ft Benning. regards Les

I started a thread about this a few weeks ago. Try different slugs. If that doesn't work you'll just have to know where to aim to get the hits you want. Benny also suggested a little faster slug so that there isn't as much dwell time in the barrel.

Well I took my HK/Benelli M1 Super90 out today to sight it in for slugs and found they are all hitting high at 50 yards by about 10" and that is with the rear sight all the way down. It has the older style rear sight which is adjusted with a tension screw. It can't go down anymore. Am I going backwards bring the rear sight down to bring POI down? I don't think so but I have been wrong before wink.gif

I was thinking of using some small washers to shim up the front sight as the nut has about .15" of thread showing so I should be able to get the POI down enough with that. Good idea? Any other ideas? Any help appreciated.

If you have a ribbed barrel, you could bend it. This is an art form unto itself. There are shooters around who can do this. Or don't use a rear sight, just a front fiberoptic and the rib. 4" probably ok.

My M2 as I think most M2's hit 6" high at 50yds. I installed a higher ft sight from HiViz.

It's a triangle fiber on top of a raised mount. Comes with different size triangles so you can adjust the

hieight to prcisely what you need. No rear sight installed .. Top of the triangle for slugs out to 60yds

and center of the triangle for everything else with birdshot..

Guys, you need to change the drop on the stock. Your shotty should have came with a set of spacers. You will need to change the shim which will drop the rear of the stock. Use the shim that is thicker on the top and thinner on the bottom. Your shotty should have either the flat shim or the shim with the fat side on the bottom now. You will be suprised how much your POI will change. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

I'm shooting Wolf Slugs in my FN and it just puts one ragged hole in the bulls eye at 50 yards, right out of the box no adjustments.

Ok, moving the stock makes sense, Shot gun shooting accuracy depends a lot on getting the gun cheeked the same every time. Bring the head up moves the bullet up and brining it down brings it down. If I wear muffs I shoot high because I don't get the head down where it needs to be, so I use plugs when shooting shotgun and rifle. Just a thought.