Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm In A Shooting Slump

Matthew_Mink

my Lim classification is (I think...) 93.xxx%, but I consider a GM card a totally worthless piece of paper. If you can't stand up your classification in a big match, what is that telling you? Placing well in big matches is the reflection of true performance level (IMHO) in IPSC. In training, I have come to the point where I keep track of my *worst* runs as performance indicators on standards/classifiers. USPSA uses the *best* runs, a very poor measure as far as I'm concerned.

Just chill about that GM card, take a few mo. off, and you'll come back stronger than ever...

Sam's post is very wise. Ted Bonnet won the World Shoot but lost his marriage in the process. Good deal?

--Detlef

Matt

It's a sport dude, chill.

You are an A personality, go, go, go. Me too. Put it down for a little bit and get over being sick, and after the holidays pick it up again. Take a little break, it won't take you a couple weeks to get back on your game, when you are refreshed. Your wife and kids will love you for it...

What fun would it be if you got the GM card and lost your wife et al in the process?

It's a game, not your profession, so take a break and enjoy your family during the holidays, they'll love you for it.

Remember being alone sucks, so factor that in with wanting to make GM.

Not to say that practice isn't important..... but it is overrated <_<

Take a break, refresh your mind, wait until that "excited to go shooting" feeling comes back - 2 weeks, 2 months, whatever. Maybe get a new "toy" to shoot, and make yourself wait for the chance to shoot it...

Burnout is ugly, when its just not fun to snap a few hundred rounds in practice.... don't go back until you WANT to, not because you feel you HAVE to.

And if you can't make yourself quit shooting for a while, skip practice and only do the enjoyable part for a while, of shooting your local matches.

Of course I just made A, so maybe I'm not the best to comment on a near - GM :unsure:

Thank God it wasn't the flu, it was only strep throat. Again. I am still down with it, but not out of the fight like the last time I had it.

I haven't thought about shooting much since the last time I posted. I have reread the first 3 Dark Tower books by Stephen King (ignore the fact that it is about a gunslinger), I have rewatched the extended versions of Fellowship and the Two Towers, and slept a lot, dreaming deliriously about a mulitude of things. Now the fever is gone. Last night without thinking I picked up one of the two 625's a friend let me borrow and dry-fired a little. Then I went out to the garage and picked up my SV and started dry-firing it. I saw the front sight. Holy cow! There it is, right where it used to be! Then I realized that no much how I mean to just leave it alone, I always come back to shooting. Now I am curious, just how much is that 625 gonna help my shooting? I think a fire is rekindling, but I am gonna let it blaze before I go practice.

Thanks for all the help from everybody, over the last 3 days or so I have had a lot of time to think about things. I am slowly being refocused, its just gonna take some time.

Then I realized that no much how I mean to just leave it alone, I always come back to shooting.

That's a great thought, and it oughta give you some peace of mind, right? :) In the long run, your mental well-being will be way more important than x hours of dry/live fire, I would think. Just remember to have fun in your life, be it at home or at the range.

[thread drift/on]

Now I am curious, just how much is that 625 gonna help my shooting?

That's exactly what I was thinking two years ago when I bought my first 625 for $200. It will help, and it's a pretty addictive game too. I haven't touched my auto's in a year or more.

I learned to "sweep" the trigger (,instead of prepping it) and keep a perfect sight picture. It has helped me very much in the accuracy/follow through department.

[thread drift/off]

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the slump is over. After dryfiring the 625 for a month on and off, I got refocused on the front sight. I shot a good match with my Limited gear yesterday, then strapped on the Production gear and shot an extra classifier and that earned me a GM card. I was totally in the groove again, just like I never took some time off. The fire is relit. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

No fair Matt! You reached your 2004 shooting goal with only 362 days left in the year. :P

Seriously, congratulations! You're on a roll now. Next time you hit a slump this experience will help you through it.

Yeah, like 14 years or so, and more like 30. That's not high on my priority list. ;)

However, Nidan is, and I can make that as soon as I get back in the swing of things, get training on a regular schedule and wait for the next test to roll around. But I've got some ground to regain that has been lost over the last few months. But that is nothing that time and effort won't fix. B)

Hmmm, I am only a couple of 94's away from GM in Limited, that could be next. Then I probably need to do some classification administration to catch the other divisions up.

• 7 months later...
Major thread drift....what Kata for Ni Dan?

More thread drift ...

When I competed in the AAU Karate Nationals in 1981, the "politics" of the organization were very much slanted toward Japanese styles. So instead of running my usual Passai Sho (from Shorinryu-Shorinkan), I learned the Shotokan version, Bassai, and did really well with it. Hidy Ochai was the head judge, and two of the other five were Japanese too. They liked it. ;)

Hmmm... that made me a gamer! :lol:

Oh, and I learned it from the "bible" of Shotokan, Karate-Do Kyohan by Funakoshi Sensei. That was an excellent book. Back then, there were no video tapes of such things, but the similarities between my stuff and their stuff were greater than the differences. Not a difficult adaptation.

Come to think of it, I also swiped Hangetsu earlier in my competitive career. I really was a gamer! ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm new to IPSC, but not new to top competition. I wrestled in college. There is no such thing as a slump. It is imaginary. What I mean is you have to determine your in a slump for it to be a slump. It's just a label that we make up. We pick the time period and decide we performed sub-par at that time period, therefore it's a slump. You are capable of 93.xxx% That is always within you. When you let go of the thoughts and get into the "Zone" you will shoot it more consistently. Notice most of the feedback for getting out of the slump is to stop thinking about it. Yes, that is true. Here's another thought. The ultimate goal in any sport is to have fun. The minute it stops being fun (and I don't mean all the time, of course it's going to feel like work some of the time), is the minute your performance goes down. My quick and simple advice is to stop worrying about the numbers and just go back to having fun. If you can't practice, OK. Having a wife and kid is way more important and should come first. Your a great shooter and guys like you are what encourage us lower class shooters. I enjoy wathing anybody that can shoot as fast as you. Just know that you can shoot 93.xxx% and don't think about whether or not you will shoot 93.xxx%. Some guys will never shoot 93.xx%. It's skill and practice!!! You gave me another idea for a post - "Getting in the Zone."