Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's Wrong With This Picture

outerlimits

Well, now at least I don't feel quite so bad about that time I tried to stuff a mag in backwards on an empty gun and mags on the table start. (Works much better when you don't put the mags on the table with the bullets nose down. duh!)

On second thought I do still feel pretty braindead about that one. :rolleyes:

I live in Burnet County, and I have talked with, my Neighbor that is a Deputy in that department.

Let's just say. someone on that force is only authorized to carry a pistol now.

I'm not kidding.

Jim M ammo

OUCH!! In all honesty I wouldn't have been shocked if said person wasn't assigned to desk duty. Only being allowed to carry a pistol is getting off lightly in my book.

Must be an HK magazine. :roflol:

I remember that ad! the one with the USP and a spare mag with the bullets in the wrong way?

Yep, that is the one. I just wish I had gotten a copy of the catalog when it came out. lol

Joe W.

Yep, I see stuff maybe not this bad, but really bad, all the time. We have a two day course designed to prevent this stuff, but after a short while you've got someone that's put a few hundred rounds through an AR, over a couple of days, and year later they've only shot it once....50 rounds to qualify. Then, they can't understand why they're having so much trouble manipulating it the following year. :surprise:

AR's are relatively complex compared to most guns when you really look at it and compare....I see people doing stuff like pushing forward on the cocking handle and hitting the mag release instead of the bolt release, getting ready to shoot with the cocking handle all the way back (never latched it), etc...it never ends.

Heck, I've seen guys that were military have trouble with them because they weren't Infantry or one of the other specialties that actually handle their weapons a lot!

Yep, I see stuff maybe not this bad, but really bad, all the time. We have a two day course designed to prevent this stuff, but after a short while you've got someone that's put a few hundred rounds through an AR, over a couple of days, and year later they've only shot it once....50 rounds to qualify. Then, they can't understand why they're having so much trouble manipulating it the following year. :surprise:

AR's are relatively complex compared to most guns when you really look at it and compare....I see people doing stuff like pushing forward on the cocking handle and hitting the mag release instead of the bolt release, getting ready to shoot with the cocking handle all the way back (never latched it), etc...it never ends.

Heck, I've seen guys that were military have trouble with them because they weren't Infantry or one of the other specialties that actually handle their weapons a lot!

This is all too true. I guess I am getting weary of this. We here are in the minority as far as gun handling goes. I sure would like it to be otherwise, but it will probably never be so. I had the fortunate experience not long ago to shoot with a friend on the SO around here. He took me to their range to shoot some of their ARs and other stuff. I was amazed that my proficiency was above the majority that day and I almost never handle a long gun anymore.

I really like that they let me shoot their stuff though. Just wish I didn't know what I now know. Kinda scares me a little.

JZ

One of the things my drill sergeants really got into our head was to use the M16's ergonomics to our advantage. They taught us to use the left hand to hit the bolt release, the right index finger for the mag release, the thumb for the safety, etc. This pretty much solved that problem for me, because hitting the mag release instead of the bolt release involves the wrong hand and a totally awkward movement contrary to how I've been trained.

Seeing a bunch of privates trying to find the controls on their rifles must be painful. Drill Sergeant Maurin's biggest contribution to my entire basic training cycle was instructing us on how to properly manipulate the controls

7 years later, that seems like yesterday.

Unfortunately, that is contributed to an individuals attitude, both the trainers and the trainee. "You won't ever use it" and "I'm not infantry, so I won't be doing this". I see it and hear it almost daily. Sadly, unless they get teleported into and out of the FOB they will be in a convoy getting there and leaving, kinda late then isn't it.

Unfortunately, that is contributed to an individuals attitude, both the trainers and the trainee. "You won't ever use it" and "I'm not infantry, so I won't be doing this". I see it and hear it almost daily. Sadly, unless they get teleported into and out of the FOB they will be in a convoy getting there and leaving, kinda late then isn't it.

This was kind of our indoctrination with weapons as kids. (Both my sisters and I) This to the point that they all own firearms, and know how to use the pistols/rifles/shotguns that they own. Pop would say, "you really never know when you are going to need this information, but it's good to have them when you do." I have come to the conclusion that this is true in many ways if you are or are not required to carry.