Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more Dot Outages

TheOtherErik

Today at the range, I noticed between shots my C-more dot would cut out. (related thread) I fiddled with the adjustment knob, nothing. I then gave it a few wacks and it started to work for a few shots and then cut out. I think it is a bad rheostat or power contacts. From what I have overheard these are common problems. Basically the question is, what are a few things that I could check/do myself before sending it in to C-more?

Erik, that's classic C-more behavior when the battery contacts lose tension on the battery. Try this:

Pop open the battery compartment, pull the battery (check it for dents) and put a little square of cut rubberband behind the contacts to give them extra 'spring'. Some people use a square of business card or squirt of silicone (new C-mores come with a dab of rubbery substance there)

I've had it happen to a couple of C-mores, and the rubberband trick fixed both.

You can also stick a stripe of pasting tape over the battery and the top edge of the battery compartment to help keep the battery from moving around.

Erik, that's classic C-more behavior when the battery contacts lose tension on the battery. Try this:

Pop open the battery compartment, pull the battery (check it for dents) and put a little square of cut rubberband behind the contacts to give them extra 'spring'. Some people use a square of business card or squirt of silicone (new C-mores come with a dab of rubbery substance there)

I've had it happen to a couple of C-mores, and the rubberband trick fixed both.

You can also stick a stripe of pasting tape over the battery and the top edge of the battery compartment to help keep the battery from moving around.

- Roy

Roy,

I certainly hope that is not all C-More did when I sent mine in for service. It wouldn't surprise me any, though. :rolleyes:

BTW, Good job at the Austin 3-Gun match last weekend. Depending on circumstances, I might go next time.

Liota

At least a couple of my C-Mores have had little rubber cylinders, OEM.

took it apart just now. battery looks good. I do have the factory rubber pads behind the battery contacts. dot module contacts look good. I guess it gets removed and sent on its way. Unless you guys have anyother suggestions. Im a little hesitant on taking it apart any further.

Yea, the bottom kinda peels out from the frame. If you need to scratch of a little bit of the green from around the connection and re-solder. Get area hot with a solder iron then add the solder. Let it cool on it's own, only takes a few seconds but you don't want to get cold soldr joints. I actually solder both the top and bottom on mine, made it a little stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to fixing the c-more. Took all of 5 mins to solder the battery post back in place. A little nervous at first but wen't well. For future reference, just reheat the existing solder and add a tiny bit more. Make sure that you have a good iorn with a small point.

Thanks again paul.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Bought a 2nd hand cmore. When I replaced the battery, I noticed the comaprtment was a bit moist. Took off the screws for the diode, same thing. So i wiped everything down and decided to pop the bottom cover. There some oil(?) around the edges of the circuit board, so I wiped them. Now I want to take the whole circuit board out just so I can check it, but the 3 screws holding it won't budge. Do these things have loctite in the threads? Thanks.