Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC - Titan in Ti?

Alan Adamson

Just curious if anyone had built or used a Titanium comp on an AR.... I've sent John and email at SJC to see what the possibilities are, but I suspect he's gonna tell me that it's too brittle of a material for a comp on an AR and that it would crack/break easily...

Just thot I'd check to see what other thot or have tried. I hate all that weight acting as a fulcrum out there at 18-20" :)

Alan

Machining Titanium is no fun and it increases our costs for materials and production time.

Don't know a price now, but would having a Ti Titan be worth the extra cost to make them?

I might be able to convince the powers to be to make a small limited run of Ti comps.

Erik

I've been looking for one (that works) too. Got a Ti brake from Spikes Tac but it is more like a muzzle decoration (yes, it is pretty with the logo and all) than a real brake. I have two of Benny's rolling thunder SS brakes but man, they weight a ton (must be a Texas thing :roflol: ) and the 18" rifle doesn't track well for me with all that weight at the end (compare to the 16").

Edited by PacMan

Machining Titanium is no fun and it increases our costs for materials and production time.

Don't know a price now, but would having a Ti Titan be worth the extra cost to make them?

I might be able to convince the powers to be to make a small limited run of Ti comps.

Erik

Erik, I talked to John again last night at our Christmas party... Obviously the price would have to be reasonable (I'm not saying cheap, just reasonable for what you are getting)... My main complaint with the Titan is, its by far and away the most effective Comp, but it's a fairly large hunk of steel hanging out there at the end of an 18 or 20 in fulcrum and I'm sure it contributes to overshoot on target acquisition, etc. I'd love a Ti version and would pay more to have one.

Work your magic and see what we're up against and then let us know.

Thanks so much!

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

• 4 weeks later...

The primary factor driving cost will be the additional cost of acquiring Titanium. I'm not a machinist but I do know Ti is a PITA to machine so I would also expect some additional production expenses, but I think the real problem is locating the Ti. From what I understand it's in high demand and supplies are low, which is not conducive to getting it at a good price.

I would expect it to be 1/3 to 1/2 lighter than a standard Titan.

Still working on it though.

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for Titan but can give you GoGun's experience with Titanium.

In a nutshell you can design a Ti comp to withstand blast but the cost benefit is off. There is only marginal reduction of swing weight which is not as bigger a factor as with pistol.

As to machining costs, they will be much higher, Ti is very difficult to machine and breaks expensive bits easily. As a rough rule of thumb a part in Ti vs Chrome Molly will end up cost about 2-4 times more expensive at retail.

As for demand, a lot of shooters say they want one, but our experience is there is not a big enough demand to warant it when they realize the cost and benefits.

That being said, if anyone makes one, I want it too, but probably wouldnt buy it.

I have a Ti comp on my AP pistol and it has had close on 80K rounds down it and I have had to ream it once to sharpen the edges up (about 10K rounds ago), it is longer and has more ports than the Steel unit I removed, and is lighter than that comp, but runs much better. On rifles my gunsmith makes a Ti unit for hard kicking medium bore rifles and up. They last longer and they are easily 3X the price. The weight reduction over the same sized comp is not huge, unless you are really trying to keep the rifle super lightweight for hunting. For our uses, it would be a close call.

I have yet to decide on what comp I want on my rifle if I put one on, I currently run it uncomped.

• 7 months later...