Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety & Overall Fit

Sumtoc

Looked for the definitive post on pinning the grip safety, found references to old posts but they may have been removed due to age. Can someone post a link to instructions/pictures to drill and pin it on a stock STI 2011? Don't think I want to use the shok buff trick as I'd like to permanently pin it without funky parts floating around in that area....

I disabled it earlier since my grip does not reliably operate the safety but also see that my grip will be more comfortable with it fully depressed and locked in place.

Thanks

I use a roll pin, but I drill the hole in the grip safety and use a larger roll pin. I use a 3/32" or 1/8" roll pin that is 1/2" long. I drill the hole in the grip safety about 1/4" deep (varies with different grip safeties). Then insert the roll pin and grind the extra length off so that it fits. If you use the main spring housing sometimes you have to use a smaller roll pin and the placement can be more difficult. Also if you use the thumb safety and your placement is a little off you can peen over the end of the roll pin to take up any slack. That is hard to do with a plastic mainspring housing. Hope this helps.

Is that ALL there is to undoing a grip safety????? Time to break out the moto tool....... :rolleyes:

Be VERY careful trying to drill it freehand. If you break into the mainspring tunnel things can go to hell in a hurry. This is best done in a drill press or mill so you have control of the bit and it doesn't wander.

CYa,

Pat

There is a slightly easier way than the one from the other thread. Drill the MS housing for the pin, but make the tip of the pin shaped like a flat-bladed screwdriver that engages the lip on the bottom of the GS rather than drilling a hole in the GS. R,

I prefer the grip safety pinned because of my hand size, shape and the way I grip the gun. I have tried with the tang removed and the grip safety moves around under my hand. A non-moving grip safety is the solution for me. As another poster mentioned use a solid fixture to drill the hole for the roll pin. I do mine on a Bridgeport.

Why not just whack the tang off the grip safety? I prefer the idea as it removes complexity instead of adding it.

I just prefer to have it not move around much when I grip the gun. Ideally, I want it to feel like a one-piece backstrap, but some of my guns have a little movement to them (very little really). It certainly is more complex, but since it's not a moving part (the pin etc) I doubt we'll see many of them cause problems. I guess I could start a line that goes "Pinned since 1992, and still going strong" LOL....

I just file the tab until it just barely touches the trigger, My guns are IDPA legal the grip safety works, but if a Frenchmen farts in its general direction you English Kahnigits ! It will disengage. And if you return it will taunt you a second time !

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to removing the tang I add plastic (2011 only) to the top of the main spring housing on one side where it interfaces with the bottom of the grip safety then adjust with a file so that the grip safety is held down hard. Be careful not to change the profile on the mainspring cap hole.