Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

black/moly bullets in XDM

Kevin Kline

I've shot nothing but lead/moly bullets out of my 2 XD's along side of my buddy's XDm and haven't had any issue's with any of them. We've shot thousand's of both style's. As soon as I can I'm going to order some Bayou Bullet's that Donnie Micelk make's.

Now an additional question. Have any of you shot plated bullets (Berrys or any other brand) out of the XDM? It looks like jacketed, moly/black are going to be fine, but now to know if plated bullets will be fine. i have about 7k loaded and they tumble like crazy out of my Glocks and MP's.

Thanks,

Now an additional question. Have any of you shot plated bullets (Berrys or any other brand) out of the XDM? It looks like jacketed, moly/black are going to be fine, but now to know if plated bullets will be fine. i have about 7k loaded and they tumble like crazy out of my Glocks and MP's.

Thanks,

We (a buddy and me) usually use 147 gr Zero JHP, but cant find them so we tried berrys...we got horrible groups

on the moly bullets...we cant get them to seat without wadding up the coating...the seating process kinda peels the moly a bit and leaves what we consider a messy crimp.....what are we doing wrong?

waynes_world_45 are your sure your flairing the case mouth enough or are you trying to crimp it before the bullet is seated completely? I was having a problem adjusting mine at first but backed the die out and everything went alot better.

On the Berrys, I had a tumble and accuracy issue out of them but found that it was probably because of a couple of things.

I shoot an XD .40 and not an M so be aware that the M with it's match barrel may make some of these issues show up faster since the tolerances are tighter.

1) If you load them above about 1100fps the plating starts to peel off and accuracy goes out the window. (If the sun hits the plating just right though, it is a neat effect as it falls to the ground though :) )

2) Make *sure* that you are not crimping too tight. This will cause havoc with your accuracy as it will cause the above issue with the plating to happen and give you inconsistent releases. This is especially true because of #3 below

3) Berry's are not all that consistent in their diameter and weight. If you buy a box of them weigh 10 on your scale and you will probably see some several grains light and then the next couple several grains heavy. Then check the diameter of those same bullets and the heavy ones will probably be a little larger than they should be. The last time I bought some I had several berry's .40 bullets that were almost .42. Inconsistent diameter makes getting the crimp "correct" a bit difficult.

4) Regularly Check that your seating and crimp die are not loose and giving you an inconsistent OAL.

Had this happen with some rounds I shot in a classifier and man... those things were allllll over the place. that is why I have that in my signature :) I still get some ribbing about my "squirrely rounds" from that one ;)

The last part of it is this, in most cases, if you buy bulk moly or jacketed bullets, you will end up cheaper than the berry's... and have a better and more consistent round. I shoot mainly Montana Golds right now but am testing out some 200 grain Black bullets and so far the quality of them is pretty high.

waynes_world_45 are your sure your flairing the case mouth enough or are you trying to crimp it before the bullet is seated completely? I was having a problem adjusting mine at first but backed the die out and everything went alot better.

I guess we should try that (bell the mouth some more)...I just wish zero would increase their capacity...I've been waiting since April for a 10k order from PV and since june on a10k order from Roze...i love my load using 147gr jhp with 3.3gr of TG

• 2 months later...

I've shot nothing but lead/moly bullets out of my 2 XD's along side of my buddy's XDm and haven't had any issue's with any of them. We've shot thousand's of both style's. As soon as I can I'm going to order some Bayou Bullet's that Donnie Micelk make's.

Donnie is good people. You will like him.

• 2 weeks later...

I have run 10K+ through my XD-40. No problems what so ever. Hell, I barely clean the thing. The only thing that goes through my barrel is bullets. I have shot a lot of Berry's plated as well. I was running them back when I could get a 250 box from cabelas at 16.99 a box. Now that they are 37.99 a box, I switched to moly. I run them with both with 3.2 - 3.3gr of plain old Clays. It is by far the best, softest shooting minor load I have ever shot. This is my IDPA load.

Thanks,

We (a buddy and me) usually use 147 gr Zero JHP, but cant find them so we tried berrys...we got horrible groups

on the moly bullets...we cant get them to seat without wadding up the coating...the seating process kinda peels the moly a bit and leaves what we consider a messy crimp.....what are we doing wrong?

It works best to run a 4th die in a progressive press...seat to desired OAL in your 3rd die, then final crimp in the 4th. You won't get that mess, and they will look factory.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 125 LRN from Black Hills and find that they must be loaded to 1.09 OAL in order for them to chamber in any barrel, XD, Glock, CZ.

It makes me nervous as I can not find any load data to support loading that short, ( increase in case pressure) I called Black Hills and they basically said, don't worry about the length, just load to 125 LRN data available.

I would love to find something in print to support the 1.09 OAL and a load specific to that weight and spec.

Thanks