Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CORBON 135 gr. Factory Ammo

STIGUY

I had bought some 135 gr .40 factory ammo to use possibly use for hog/deer hunting at "very close range" a couple of years ago. I have a Para P16 Limited that I purchased it for. I recently acquired an STI Edge (used) from someone on this forum. Not knowing the recoil spring rate and not wanting to dissemble the gun...would it be safe to shoot in the STI? AMMO is pretty hot.....like approaching 10MM balistics. I believe it is like 1,650 fps according to the box. THANKS!

Safe might be a relative term here. I don't think it's going to blow your gun up, but with a recoil spring set for 165-170 loads, it might hammer the contact points a bit. I'd put in a heavier recoil spring to err on the side of longevity and then go get some pigs.

I had bought some 135 gr .40 factory ammo to use possibly use for hog/deer hunting at "very close range" a couple of years ago. I have a Para P16 Limited that I purchased it for. I recently acquired an STI Edge (used) from someone on this forum. Not knowing the recoil spring rate and not wanting to dissemble the gun...would it be safe to shoot in the STI? AMMO is pretty hot.....like approaching 10MM balistics. I believe it is like 1,650 fps according to the box. THANKS!

You probably should put a spring of a known rate in it before you go too far anyway. Why would you not want to take the slide off...you're going to have to (many times) anyway, so why not now? It may have a Recoil Master in it and you probably want to know that as well.

For ammo in that ballpark I'd probably want at least a 16lb spring in the gun. A properly fit gun doesn't really wear more because the spring is a couple of pounds lighter, but there's always the chance it's not perfectly fit and then it could make a difference. For typical .40 Major 12.5-14lbs are the most common weights folks seem to be using. R,

You probably should put a spring of a known rate in it before you go too far anyway. Why would you not want to take the slide off...you're going to have to (many times) anyway, so why not now? It may have a Recoil Master in it and you probably want to know that as well.

For ammo in that ballpark I'd probably want at least a 16lb spring in the gun. A properly fit gun doesn't really wear more because the spring is a couple of pounds lighter, but there's always the chance it's not perfectly fit and then it could make a difference. For typical .40 Major 12.5-14lbs are the most common weights folks seem to be using. R,

Cause I absolutely hate cleaning guns......the gun is stainless..... I think the cleaning thing goes back to my youth when I was a very avid duck hunter. Anytime I could get a chance to slog around in the rain and mud to chase ducks, I had to beg and bribe my dad into taking me......with I'll clean your gun. So now, I typically buy guns for their weather resistance. THANKS non the LESS!

Cause I absolutely hate cleaning guns......the gun is stainless..... I think the cleaning thing goes back to my youth when I was a very avid duck hunter. Anytime I could get a chance to slog around in the rain and mud to chase ducks, I had to beg and bribe my dad into taking me......with I'll clean your gun. So now, I typically buy guns for their weather resistance. THANKS non the LESS!

You don't have to clean the gun to change the spring... ;)

Thats also about the worst ammo you could possibly buy for hogs and deer. That ammo was designed for violent shallow expansion, Find something loaded with 165 or 180 gr Hornady XTP's something that will actually hold together long enough and penetrate deep enough to hit the vitals rather than creating a large shallow wound and leave an injured animal in the woods.

• 1 month later...
Thats also about the worst ammo you could possibly buy for hogs and deer. That ammo was designed for violent shallow expansion, Find something loaded with 165 or 180 gr Hornady XTP's something that will actually hold together long enough and penetrate deep enough to hit the vitals rather than creating a large shallow wound and leave an injured animal in the woods.

Have some of that too...but the ammo would shoot flat right? When I say close...I don't mean in a cage! And yes I have fat figures...but taking the gun apart is not going to tell me the spring rate...buy a new one and replacing it will. Which is somewhat besides the point of the question. Question was...if the ammo is safe to shoot in an Edge that was set up for copetition loads. I know for a fact that it is somewhat lighter than the P-16 (POS) by the way.....but I had shock buffs in it that probably contributed to the feel. THANKS non the less!

Have some of that too...but the ammo would shoot flat right? When I say close...I don't mean in a cage! And yes I have fat figures...but taking the gun apart is not going to tell me the spring rate...buy a new one and replacing it will. Which is somewhat besides the point of the question. Question was...if the ammo is safe to shoot in an Edge that was set up for copetition loads. I know for a fact that it is somewhat lighter than the P-16 (POS) by the way.....but I had shock buffs in it that probably contributed to the feel. THANKS non the less!

How flat is "flat"? My duty ammo is a 180gr bullet going something like 950fps. Drop from 25yds to 50yds is roughly an inch with a 25yd zero. The Cor-bon 135s will be flatter for a certain distance and then fall off the map since they don't retain velocity as well.

I also think it's a terrible choice for deer/hogs....to start out with, it's not really powerful enough, and it's absolutely the wrong bullet weight and style. I don't think calling it irresponsible would be too strong a word....no offense intended.

Shooting a box or two of them out of your gun won't be unsafe, but without taking the time to put a known spring in it etc, you're just going to have to guess and hope it doesn't cause extra wear. Some folks run really light springs in their Limited rigs, and there's no way any of us here can guess at what's in the gun now. If you're so opposed to taking 5 min to pop the slide off and slapping an $8 spring in it, you're just going to have to take that chance and hope for the best.

R,