Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Settling For Less

Sam

Oh man this is ugly! I gotta come clean right here in this public forum and cleanse my soul. I just came to clarity on something this morning and I hate what I'm seeing. I've been shadow boxing with this for over a year, unable to get around it. And it's been making me irritable and frustrated toward my shooting. Thankfully a couple of friends, as true friends often will, have been tactfully dropping hints. Thanks Dudes, you know who you are.

Here is the plain truth: I've been holding back for fear that I won't be good enough. I've been using slow holsters, bone stock guns, and every excuse I could dream up to keep from committing to actually trying to make the next level. This isn't totally about earning that GM card, no it's more than that, much, much more. I was watching Matt Burkett's DVD#4 over the weekend and the dull pain I've been feeling suddenly became acute! Thanks Matt, where ever you are, for the inspiration.

So, here it is.I really, really, want to be that good! There I've said it! I intend to earn my GM card in 2004 and shoot to the very best of my ability every time I strap a gun on. I'm going to get my quickie holster down off the wall and practice like I have a purpose again. I don't care that I'm going to crash & burn and have to pick dirt out of my teeth a hundred times. Anything is better than this level of self imposed mediocrity. Here goes, the challenge begins right now. There ain't no going back.

Most of us sabotage our selves; we just don't call it that. I think it's great that you have made a goal, set it out there for all of us to see, and are going to work at getting there. I wish you courage in the face of your challenge, and you won't be the only one picking dirt out of your teeth.

That's great news Sam! Now, when I make Master, I won't have the embrassment of explaining why you are so much better than me. I can just say, "That's what makes him a GM."

Since it is time for goal stating, you've caused me to reconsider mine. I started in B, and recently moved up to A class. I've shot a couple M class level classifiers. My original goal was to make A in one year, and then take two for Master. I think I can do it this summer if I don't get lazy. I've just got to commit some weekends to matches and practice, and develop a dry firing habit, instead of the sporadic crap I do now.

Some concrete goals:

I'd like to do a sub-second reload

I'd like to do an El Pres in under 5

I'd like to do a consistent Bill Drill in under 2

And I'd like to win a local match (tough one, shooting against Ron Ankeny and Sam).

John:

I have news for you John. I think you can make M class in both L10 and Limited next summer if you can find the time to shoot the classifiers. The big advantage that I have is being able to shoot classifers three times a month plus three or four specials a year. You have the talent, you just need the opportunity.

Sam:

Every time I watch you shoot I think to myself, "There's Wyoming's next GM shooter." I am glad to see you are going for it. Heck, we will even schedule our 4 classifier special around you just so I can watch it happen. :D

Steve:

Are there any mental skills that got you over the hump to that shiny new GM card?

You've talked allot about certain things like; making this thing we do a visual contest, shooting your own game that is not getting ahead of your self and thinking about winning (or losing) ect. Could you do a little summery for us?

Also why six reload six on your targets? When I dry fire I do a bunch of two reload two, or two on two targets reload back again. I just don’t understand the six thing.

Most classifiers are 6 reload 6 on different arrays. getting a good rhythm/cadence on these types of arrays will really help you on classifiers.

The mental game took a little dive right after I got the G card. I got a little too relaxed (lazy) right after, and it showed in my shooting. I wanted to take it easy after reaching a big goal, but making GM is not a goal that allows for break-taking.

It hit me to today while watching Eric G's video while working out this morning. I may find myself on his squad next year. Unlikely, but possible. This is very exciting to me, and amounts to tacklin' fuel.

I feel like I'm mentally back on track. I had a great match yesterday, really got (back) into calling the shot, which should be our primary mode of operation.

The best advice I can give anyone who wants to make GM is this:

Set an intense, regular practice schedule and do not deviate from it. Dry fire 5 days of 7, live fire at least twice a week. Focus on draws, reloads and transitions. Pick a few classifiers, figure out the high hit factor and dry fire it til you can beat the hhf dry. After I made M, I intensified my practice and added a 30 minute dry fire session in the morning before work.

You must also learn to practice without emotion. the fact that you nailed a .7 draw to a sight picture is great, but doesn't by itself mean anything other than what just happened. Celebrate a little and get back to work, because you know you can go faster.

If you can do a dry el prez in 4-4.5 seconds and SEE all A's, you probably have the raw skill to make GM on most classifiers.

The thing about the mental game is that you can't think your way into a better mental game.

It's like trying to use a big hammer to make a litttle hammer. You need a little hammer, and you know you can't use a big hammer to make a little hammer, but the damn big hammer's all you have.

Yesterday was cool because I watched every shooter go through the circle on every run. (myself included)

1. Execute the fundamentals, call the first three shots and hit the first three targets.

2. After enjoying phenomenal success on these first three targets, go faster than we can see what we need to see, miss the next two targets, shoot even faster out of the panic of missing.

3. Execute fundamentals, call the shots and hit the targets.

Ahh... the journey,

SA

Good dog! You can do it. I already know this. You're basically already there. B)

I had an SE (Shooting Epiphany) a month or so ago and it changed my shooting and my attitude forever. I was, in some ways, getting in my own way. Will never happen again.

Keep us posted!! ;):)

Thanks everyone, for your insights and advice. I appreciate you more than I can express.

I wrote what I wrote yesterday in a fit of frustration.

And then I went out and had the most contented and meaningful practice I can ever remember having. Tonight I DF'ed for an hour and thought it was only 20 minutes. So, what has changed?

Yesterday, I didn't think that I had anywhere left to go. GM? "Nah, I'll never be that good." So, there I was, just going.... nowhere. Of course, I realize that everyone who sets out to achieve something doesn't always achieve it. "Easier said, than done" definately applies here. But the reason I'm different today is because, make it or not, I know that this is where I'm going.

The thing that makes it really tough to achieve a long term goal like making GM is the way the human psyche works.

We have a really good day, make a plan, a training regimine, schedule for practices and matches...all is good.

Two weeks later, you have a bad day at work, argument with the better half, shot poorly in the last match, and you think; what the hell, I can't do it. Even if it is for only a couple of days, that kind of thing has an impact on achieving your goal.

Not only does it take a solid plan, it takes perseverance, and determination over the long term, with almost constant reaffirmation by yourself and or your shooting bud that you are getting there with quantifiable gains in performance. Enough of these and the occasional bad day is negated.

Just like a diet, it is the long haul that counts, not being bad for a day or two .

Had the pleasure of practicing with Sam today. His GM card is in the bag. I don't mean to jinx him or anything, but his draw, shoot one, reload, shoot one is consistently sub 2 sec. Like 1.6/1.7. Matt Burkett needs to watch out. At 4-7 yds .75 draws were routine, with a lot running .66 to a solid hit. We practiced some wide (10 yd spacing) transitions, and it was just cool to watch. Saw a sub-second reload with a single-stack.

And the cool part is, he is a great teacher to boot. Let's you know what to do better, while being very encouraging. People pay hundreds of bucks for the education I got today. Thanks, man. If you ever get down on your shooting, just give me a call, and you can witness some pathetic floundering to cheer you up! :D

So, here it is.I really, really, want to be that good! There I've said it! I intend to earn my GM card in 2004 and shoot to the very best of my ability every time I strap a gun on.

Don't think of you goal as getting a GM card. Focus, shoot every stage, every classifier to the very best of YOUR ability and that card will come. Don't concern yourself with shooting a HF which is 95 percent or better, shoot it like you own it. Getting your GM card is the easy part, the hard part is shooting at that level EVERY time.