Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The perfect carry/competition pistol

RangerTrace

OK, here is one more option I would like for y'all to think about. Remember we're talking about the best possible blend of carry/competition for a 40S&W Limited division pistol.

What about a commander length slide? I prefer them for carry, but would it be too much of a disadvantage in Limited? I know the trend has been to go longer, not shorter and I've read those threads. If it was for competition only, I would prefer 5".

Thoughts?

I don't find 3/4 of an inch extra on the barrel makes a gun harder to carry. It's the long grip that gets in the way.

I'm sure you have chronoed lots of 40 caliber bullets. What is the average bullet velocity lost between a 5" and commander length gun. I've "heard" 50 feet per inch.

I don't find 3/4 of an inch extra on the barrel makes a gun harder to carry. It's the long grip that gets in the way.

I'm sure you have chronoed lots of 40 caliber bullets. What is the average bullet velocity lost between a 5" and commander length gun. I've "heard" 50 feet per inch.

I have heard the same and find that to be about right in my Glocks. 50 fps is approx the difference between my G22 and G35 with the same load. There's gotta be quite a spread from barrel to barrel/brand to brand though.

Edited by soundwave

Asking for a good carry/competition gun is like asking for a good gopher/elk gun, the selection is a comprise. Yes I have shot gophers with my 300 Winchester mag w/100 grain bullets but the fun goes away after the first box. I fit the gun to the activity/apparel of the day. One day the carry gun maybe the North American Arms 32NAA, the next the XD45 Compact or in the car the XD45 Tactical. The Open Glock 24 with a C More makes a terrible carry gun.

If you need a hammer do you go get a saw?

It's a compromise trying to do both with one gun. If I had to do that:

Glock 19

3.5 lb. connector with NY1 trigger spring and a polish job on all moving trigger surfaces

Sevigny night sights -- yellow rear dot, green front dot, stack the dots similar to Heinie's Streight-eights

Tru-Grip

Slide-glide

Glock 15 round mags for carry, Glock 15 (and maybe 17) round mags with Arredondo Extensions for Competition....

Well, this is MY definition of the perfect dual purpose pistol:

Design Number: 19214

User: trace mcdonald -

Design Name: Final Design- Brandon

Template Name: Govt Pistol - Wide Body

Last Updated: 11/19/09

Quantity: 1

Serial Number: RANGER3

Special Instructions: 120 grit tape, Memory Groove on Grip Safety, Functional Grip Safety, taper thumb safeties forward, Normal ambi width on left and right thumb safeties, dehorn competition rear blade, magazine release button taper upward for left handed shooter, right handed magazine release

Front Slide Cut: Xcelerator Serrations

Guide Rod: Stainless Steel

Panel Cut: Yes

Radial Flute: None

Rear Lightening: No

Rear Slide Cut: Xcelerator Serrations

Slide Material: Stainless Steel

Slide Profile: Round w/Flat Top

Slide Racker / Lightening: No

Stirrup Cut: Yes

Top Rib: 40 lines per inch

Front Sight: Red Fiber Optic .100 wide x 1mm

Rear Sight: Infinity Rear Sight Absolute Target Zero

AET Barrel Option: AET

Barrel: Plain Barrel

Barrel Length: 5

Barrel Style: Bushing Style w/Guide Rod

Caliber: 40 S&W

Compensator: No Compensator

Trigger Base color: Black

Trigger Bow: Titanium

Trigger Insert Color: Black

Trigger Insert Style: Flat Short

Triglide System: Yes

Grip Length: Standard, Right Handed (Competition frame only)

Mag Well: Hi Cap Stainless Steel

Grip Material: Stainless - 416

Grip Size (Competition Hicap Only): Signature Grip

Grip Surface: Infinity� SkaterTerrain (IST)&tm

Trigger Guard: Undercut Trigger Guard for High Grip

Trigger Guard - New: Under Cut Trigger Guard

Trigger Guard Profile: Infinity Traditional Square (ITS)&tm;

Hammer: Triple Xcelerated SV

Hammer Finish: Blued Finish

Dust Cover: Standard (all)

Dust Cover Fluting: None

Frame Material: Stainless Steel

Frame Style: Competition (Wide body)

Grip Safety: Stainless Steel

ITI Rail cut: No Rail Cut

Magazine Catch: Stainless Steel, 4-40 tap

Magazine Release Button: Small Stainless-This option requires 4-40 magcatch.

Mainspring Housing: SS Steel, Flat

Slide Lock Pin: Stainless Steel

Strut: Titanium

Thumb Safety Material: Stainless Steel

Thumb Safety Style: Ambidextrous Wide

California/ Massachusetts Resident: No

Gun type: Government (5 inch)

IPSC Modified Division Infinity IMM Special�: No (typical)

Pistol Finish: Duotone Two Tone Stainless (only on stainless material)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW- I think you should strongly consider a Desert Eagle in 50AE

Thanks for the suggestion, but my Department doesn't have an approved cartridge for that one :wacko:

Seth,

Yes. Paid in full, should be here in time for DTC :cheers: FWIW, I have wanted an SV since the first time I saw one. I have received lots of great, sincere advice on who and what to go with and I greatly appreciate all of it. Any one of them would have been great, I'm sure. But anything other than SV woud have been a compromise for me. Also, Its a plus that they're only about 90 minutes from me.

FWIW- I think you should strongly consider a Desert Eagle in 50AE

Thanks for the suggestion, but my Department doesn't have an approved cartridge for that one :wacko:

Seth,

Yes. Paid in full, should be here in time for DTC :cheers: FWIW, I have wanted an SV since the first time I saw one. I have received lots of great, sincere advice on who and what to go with and I greatly appreciate all of it. Any one of them would have been great, I'm sure. But anything other than SV woud have been a compromise for me. Also, Its a plus that they're only about 90 minutes from me.

Congratulations! That sounds like some blaster.....

Let us know how it works out for both its roles when it arrives.....

Trace has selected a awesome build. One that he will enjoy for 100's of thousands of rounds.

I must say that my wifey looks really good in her new blue Infinity Firearms T-shirt!! :goof:

Bring her to Waco this Saturday, I'm tired of looking at the same (old) faces!