Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tendonitis - Any Suggestions

Godzilla

I have been fighting tendonitis in my shoulder/elbow for the last two years and haven't been able to shake it. I got from playing too much softball and now it is affecting my ability to shoot and practice. The last two years I have been been a drain on shooting without being able to practice or maintain any consistancy.

I have tried everything that has been suggested to me so far, anyone have any ideas to get rid of tendonitis?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been to a doctor and gotten physical therapy? That's the first step.

I had debilitating tendonitis in my right arm from years of computer use. I finally admitted I needed to fix it and went to the doctor, a month of physical therapy later it's as good as new. Just stretching and lots of ibuprofen fixed it right up.

H.

I have been fighting tendonitis in my shoulder/elbow for the last two years and haven't been able to shake it. I got from playing too much softball and now it is affecting my ability to shoot and practice. The last two years I have been been a drain on shooting without being able to practice or maintain any consistancy.

I have tried everything that has been suggested to me so far, anyone have any ideas to get rid of tendonitis?

O.K.- I know this sounds like a dumb question, but it needs to be asked up front: you have been under the care of an orthopedist, haven't you?

Chuck

1)Stop performing the aggrevating activity until your symptoms are gone. 2)Take an antinflammatory. 3)Ice regularly. 4)Pain free stretching and 5) some cross friction massage.

If you dont want to do #1 dont bother with the rest! :rolleyes:

Addict

Have you been to a doctor and gotten physical therapy? That's the first step.

I had debilitating tendonitis in my right arm from years of computer use. I finally admitted I needed to fix it and went to the doctor, a month of physical therapy later it's as good as new. Just stretching and lots of ibuprofen fixed it right up.

H.

Yes I did the physical therapy and ibuprofen routine and it helped for a little while but not long term.

I pretty much stopped all activities for quite a while. I didn't even drive my motorcycles for almost two years and stopped all other sports. No chain saws!

It was suggested that acupuncture might help and it relieved the symptoms for a little bit but I never really got better.

I have been under the doctors care for the last two years but that was pretty much a waste of time and she shot my elbow up with Cortisone but that didn't help either. After a long lay off it finally started feeling good. (no pain and full movement)

I shot about 4 matches with my open gun in major and couldn't finish the last match due to a tight arm and trigger freeze. It gets so tight I can't rotate my arm to do a mag change.

I appreciate all the suggestions and will review all of them. I'll get a track ball and try it out and look at my diet.

Keep them coming, maybe a combination of all them will help!

Ice it. Alot. Like three or four times a day. Put a paper cup of water in the freezer and when it's ice peel the paper down and rub the ice against bare skin until it is numb then rub it really hard for a bit. Stick it back in the freezer for next time. Use an ice pack when you must but the rubbing really helps.

Many good suggestions.

Visit this site for more information about the problem and recommended exercises and treatments:

http://www.handuniversity.com/handschool.asp

I got epicondylitis a few years ago after going sea kayaking on vacation while, at the same time, doing lots of curls to build arm strength for revolver shooting. I stopped the curls for couple weeks, did the exercises from the web site, applied ice, and got a cortisone shot. It took at least a month to see much improvement. Be patient and it will come around.

Chris

Use your left hand.

No seriously change the little things you do. Most of them you will not notice. I started doing things like reloading with my left hand and it helped a lot. Spread some of that repetition around. That and a good chiropractor.

Ice it. Alot. Like three or four times a day. Put a paper cup of water in the freezer and when it's ice peel the paper down and rub the ice against bare skin until it is numb then rub it really hard for a bit. Stick it back in the freezer for next time. Use an ice pack when you must but the rubbing really helps.

+ a million.

Jake is spot on with his dietary advice. A Zone or Paleo style diet along with high dosages of a quality fish oil supplement coupled with Active Release and you'll be better.

A link to a high quality fish oil supplement. No, I do not work for the company. :)

http://www.tmuscle.com/productInfo.do?id=910074

Eating Program

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

Edited by baerburtchell

Jake is spot on with his dietary advice. A Zone or Paleo style diet along with high dosages of a quality fish oil supplement coupled with Active Release and you'll be better.

A link to a high quality fish oil supplement. No, I do not work for the company. :)

http://www.tmuscle.com/productInfo.do?id=910074

Eating Program

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

+1 for the FLAMEOUT in the above link. It is a little on the spendy side but I have not gotten the same results with any other product.

nsaids and elastic bands. These issues are never truly cured, but managed.

Found I had a slightly torn tendon in my shoulder, and surgery is not an option I care to take.

Visited my ortho and got the whole exam, x-ray, mri, etc. So his Rx, nsaids (aleve 500 mg) and exercise with bands/light free weights.

The difference has been dramatic. Without the pain from the inflammation, which was stopping me from exercising the shoulder, I am able to get back tonear normal, though at 55 doing what I did in my 20's and 30's is not going to happen. I now accept that.

Will I be the aggressive volleyball player I used to be? No. Same with basketball, but I can do them on a more limited basis now as opposed to not at all. Same with tennis and frisbee.

I still do setup and tear-down at my local club, but not the heavy lifting over my shoulders I used to try to do. Just a matter of priorities and pacing.

Edited by vluc

I had this in both elbows over the years, at time it was so bad I could not hold a mug of coffee. My Orthopedic Doctor gave me shots of depro medrol . They did provide relief 2 days after the shot. He said 2x a year was the max dose.

Also I would highly recommend staying away from NSAIDS. They have their uses, primarily in certain very acute joint strains and sprains, and even then, only as prescribed by a physician. Do NOT self medicate with ibuprofen. Inflammation is best treated through ice massage (as was mentioned earlier) and diet.

I have two clients from totally different backgrounds. One had an extremely bad ankle sprain several months ago. Bad enough to where it still isn't 100%. The other had tendinitis in this hand for about 5 months. Basically hurt to do anything. Both went to the doctor for advice and help, both took their advice. Fast forward 3 months, still loads of pain. They finally take all grains and starches out of their diet and supplement with fish oil (not even as high of a dose as I recommended) and in 10 days, there was a very noticeable improvement in every way of measuring joint health.

Restricting what you eat may suck, but the thing is, most of us feel like crap every single day of our lives and never even realize it because we have no point of reference. Try it for 2 weeks...strict paleo with fish oil. I literally guarantee you see a large improvement. I'd recommend starting a food journal recording everything you eat and drink. If you'd like feedback off of it, feel free to email it to me.