Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pepper poppers

Field

honestly i think im going to start just practicing shooting at pp's for a while to help my speed and accuracy, for me its just a mental thing where it keeps you from getting sloppy. if your not right on the money and your sights are not well set up your not going ding those things and knock them over.

Steel targets hate me. Thats all there is to it. I ended up buying an 8" round steel on a tripod kinda mount for about $100 plus shipping. I don't have to set it back up and it is great for draw and fire. I need to take it to matches with me because it has not told the other steel targets how good I am. ????

thanks,

George

Edited by gfmun

honestly i think im going to start just practicing shooting at pp's for a while to help my speed and accuracy, for me its just a mental thing where it keeps you from getting sloppy. if your not right on the money and your sights are not well set up your not going ding those things and knock them over.

Yes. Feel the gun "stop" before you shoot.

be

Newbold has hanging targets that are good for indoor practice. Nothing to reset because they just hang there and jump when you hit them. Great for .22 but will work with larger ammo, just not as long.

An interesting challenge is to take a paper plate and tape a piece of string at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions then hang that up. The closer to the center you hit it, the straighter back it will swing. If you try to get two shots in a row and you hit it on the edge, it'll twist and be difficult to hit on the second shot.

I've always been told that, while shooting steel, you have to fight the tendency to rely on the ring of the hit rather than seeing the visual confirmation of the sight rising off the target. I imagine that it'd be even harder if you're training on steel extensively.

One fix suggested is using paper plates - the lack of a ring with a hit forces you to know visually (as the shot breaks, not looking for the holes after the fact) how the shot went.

I've always been told that, while shooting steel, you have to fight the tendency to rely on the ring of the hit rather than seeing the visual confirmation of the sight rising off the target. I imagine that it'd be even harder if you're training on steel extensively.

One fix suggested is using paper plates - the lack of a ring with a hit forces you to know visually (as the shot breaks, not looking for the holes after the fact) how the shot went.

In the very early years of the Steel Challenge, I trained exclusively on paper plates. Because we couldn't afford steel targets, and there weren't any ranges with steel targets we could practice on. Definitely made me a better shooter.

be

I have been using paper plates for practice for a couple years now. I buy them 600 at a time at Sams Club for, I think, $12-13. I set them up in different ways. Often, stapled to a 1"x2" stick in the ground. Sometimes I set them in a semi-circle and see how fast I can clean them left>right and right>left etc...

My suggestion is to use an 8" steel plate that doesn't fall over (the Evil Roy target works well, or just make your own). The problem with practicing with poppers is that either you have to set them after every run, paint them after ever run or you make them stay up and possibly reinforce bad habits. Any hit outside of the calibration zone needs to be called a miss and made up immediately. I have seen too many calibration challenges go against the shooter due to a low or an edge hit. With the 8# plate, you are replicating the calibration zone.

My normal practice targets are 2 steel targets that replicate the "A" and "C" zone of a USPSA target and several 6" and 8" plates that repicate the calibration zone of USP's and poppers. I tend to practice at longer distances and don't like to have to walk up and tape ever couple of mags. I try to use the ring as feedback that I called the hit, rather than verification that I made the hit. I know that it is a fine line, but I know the difference when I practice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Steel targets hate me. Thats all there is to it. I ended up buying an 8" round steel on a tripod kinda mount for about $100 plus shipping. I don't have to set it back up and it is great for draw and fire. I need to take it to matches with me because it has not told the other steel targets how good I am. ????

thanks,

George

Tell me about it bro, as soon as I start missing the steel, my entire day goes to crap!

I need to take it to matches with me because it has not told the other steel targets how good I am. ????

:cheers:Targets can be that way. I tried talking one of my dry fire targets to a match so it could tell the rest of the targets about my blindingly fast A zone hits, but it just laid there like a piece of cardboard. So I shot it - apha charlie! :P

Edited by bbbean

• 4 weeks later...

I practice on a set of Bianchi plates, 8". You can do all kind of drills, use a long rope and you never have to walk down range to set up targets. I concentrate on my accuracy and let the speed happen. Always work on being a fundamentally sound shooter. Good luck.

It's very easy to say and hard to do.

"Call your shots."

Know that the sights were stopped and on target and the trigger pull was controlled.

Then aquire the next plate visually, transition the gun, sight picture, and repeat.

Knowing how and doing are very different things.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a local machine shop, asked the guys about steel. They had 8 inch roll stock. Cut me 6 each 3/4 inch thick plates, welded to 3" X 5" bases, out the door $90. Now I have my own steel. Great investment. Steel is shot with 9mm open & .40 major. No problems after 10k hits.