Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 or 5.56 bulk ammo

npolley

cheap? wolf with the new polymer coating. brown bear with laqure sticks in the bore. ask me how i know :unsure:

259/1000 or in that area.

accurate? i like remington UMC, but thats just me.

about 15/20 @ walmart.

defense? well, i like remington UMC hollowpoints, but thats just me.

i reload so its a little different, but factory loads im assuming is what your asking about.

i like that PMC as well, fiocchi ammo is good, and privi partisan

Edited by halogrinder

for the bulk itll probably be mostly plinking, but i would like to have some for long range and self defense. any advice on ammo for that.

and when it comes to the bulk are there some that are cleaner than others?

Edited by npolley

for the bulk itll probably be mostly plinking, but i would like to have some for long range and self defense. any advice on ammo for that.

plinking: wolf

long range: your pick, but i have used black hills 60 grain match ammo, and its long range is steller IMO (this was before i reloaded)

self defense, i still like remington UMC hollowpoints. i know what they do to pigs, so the pigs that walk on two feet shouldnt like them either :)

keep the bolt clean and the lip where the extracter is clean, and dont worry about it.

Edited by halogrinder

Some good reports on the Hornady practice ammo here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1087781

For self-defense any decent soft point should do a good job....FMJ practice ammo isn't really the best choice for that. R,

I'm very interested in that Hornady ammo, but I still haven't actually seen it for sale anywhere.

I picked up a couple hundred rounds of Hornady TAP 5.56 (75 gr.) from Ammo To Go for my PD stash. You just have to check often and be ready to pounce when it comes available.

For plinking, I have found the PRVI Partizan M193 (55gr.) to be fairly cheap and very accurate in my Colt AR. But with their recent factory fire, that may be in short supply.

Make sure your chamber can handle 5.56 and for the heavy TAP bullets, you probably need a 1:7 twist barrel to stabilize the bullet.

what is the best way to store ammo, i dont have a safe. rubbermaid tubs, or ammo boxes or something else.

Can't beat surplus GI ammo cans. I don't put any ammo in my safe, I would worry about it cooking off if the house burned. I don't know if it would, but if it isn't in there with the guns, it can't hurt them.

Hurley

As far as 223 vs 5.56.....make sure you are shooting a gun that has a 5.56 chamber if you want true 5.56 ammo. The 5.56 ammo is basically a little "hotter" and gives a 100-200 more feet per second faster for the same bullet weight.

I have heard about shooting 5.56 in a 5.56 chamber ONLY or something terrible will happen on many occasions. I have NEVER gave it any thought and shot LOTS & LOTS of 5.56 in "223" chambers. Additionally, I have NEVER heard of anyone actually experiencing a negative result in doing so. I asked a reputable gunsmith about this and he said it is nonsense, chambers are cut with the same cutter. So, where is the validity in this? With 5/56 being "hotter" does that somehow imply all 223 chambered barrels are composed of a steel that is weaker? It just does'nt make sense & I have yet to hear a solid answer that is based on anything but smoke, mirrors, & folk lore. I'm not a believer but maybe I'm just ignorant.

The difference in the .223 and 5.56 chamber is in the throat. The 5.56 has more lead (some call it freebore)

I too have shot plenty of 5.56 in .223's in my youth, not knowing any better, without a problem. However I have seen numerous people have problems from firing 5.56 in AR's with .223 chambers. Blown primers and stuck cases. So it is a serious issue.

"The .223 Remington is rated for a maximum of 50,000 CUP while the 5.56mm is rated for 60,000 CUP. That extra 10,000 CUP is likely sufficient to cause a failure in a chamber that's only rated for the "sporting" .223 Remington."

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/556faq.html

Edited by cas