Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap lightweight upper?

Revopop

So I built a 3 gun rifle on a Cav Arms lower, and I don't like how it balances. I've got a regular Stag lower on the way that I'll use with the current upper, but now I've got a Cav lower that needs an upper. I'm thinking I'll get a lightweight upper and use it as a plinker/house gun/hoser match rifle. I don't want to spend a lot as precision won't really be required, and this'll just be a fun gun.

Perusing Shotgun News, I see Model 1 and M&A have cheap lightweight uppers available. Both can also be had without the BCG, which is a plus for me, I'll save a little money now and it'll give me an excuse to get a JP LMOS for the other one. In a bit of searching, it seems both of them have had some QC issues but they don't seem to be recent, and most of the problems were with their bolts which I won't be using.

Anybody have any first hand feedback on either of these two manufacturers? Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

I have had 2 Model 1 uppers a 20" and a light weight 16" and both have been fault free. I still have the light weight upper. I had it on a Cav Arms lower at one time, but I never fired it. But it sure was a light weight package.

About a month or so ago I checked with Model 1 on how long of a wait to get an uppper and they said it would be 26-28 weeks.

I not familiar with these light weight uppers and lowers. I handled a rifle at a match that had a Cav Arms Lower and I liked it. What are the positive and negatives of these components? I would imagine that they wear out eventually?

Does the lack if weight translate to more felt recoil?

Edited by jtischauser

No BCG or Charging Handle but..dang. You should buy one of these and let us know how it holds up. :)

Jim

http://www.dsarms.com/Lowers--Uppers/products/59/

Holy crap! I'm mighty tempted. I may just call them on Monday and see if they've actually got them in stock at that price. If I get one, I'll be sure to post feedback to the collective.

I recently put a Bushmaster Superlight 16" flattop upper on a Cavarms lower. I ordered the upper with a free float tube. Topped it with a Trijicon reflex and buis. Makes for a pretty sweet, light, easy handling rifle! So far, it's been reliable and accurate. Bushmaster had about 200 of the Superlight barrels in stock, so I had the order in about a week!

Edited for typos!

Edited by jobob

That definitely makes me more likely to buy one. If I pull the trigger on one of these, I'll be sure to post a range report for you guys. That's certainly the cheapest upper I've ever seen for sale.

• 3 months later...

Well I never got around to buying another upper, and now that my tax refund has arrived I'm looking again. I figured I might as well revive my old thread and see if anybody had any new suggestions. I'm still thinking I'll probably get the DSA upper listed above as it's still the cheapest around and this'll just be a plinker. I've also thought about getting a .22 conversion for it, that way I'd have a dedicated .22 upper that o could turn into 5.56 if I wanted to.

I am a big fan of Del-Ton for the price, after seeing the quality in their complete AR's. You can get an entire M4 kit from them for just under $500, the upper is less.

Here's the link for the kit:

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm

They indicate a 1 - 2 week delivery time. That has sure improved. If I was in the market for one, now is the time to get it.

My last kit ordered from J&T was made before things got real tight and I still had a 6 month wait.

Bill