Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll - What powder, brass and bullet are you using

pmd

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea 4756 was that popular, I'm using 8.2 grains N350, 38SC brass, 124grn MG-CMJ bullet and wolf SR primers. I thought the other Vit powders like 3N37 and 3N38 would have out ranked N350 or the IMR powders, I need to look a little closer at the 4756!

4" shorty, 170 PF

Edited by DJM3808

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Are you folks still using the same powders or have you changed?

I'm still using N105, but have worked up a load for SP-2 as well (managed to snag 25lbs). They're very similar feeling in .38SC, but haven't worked up a load for my Major 9 gun with it just yet. R,

N105 with MG or Zero 124 in 38SC, used to shoot 4756 and that is still my back-up load.

I tried some N105 behind Zero 125 jhps for Supercomp, but, I didn't like holding my finger over the case, to keep the powder in, and really didn't notice much difference between it, and 350, so I went back to 350.

And, I have a HUGE can of 4756, for "back-up" powder.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting close to settling on a load; 124 gr. MG jhp over 3N38 in Starline SC brass, CCI or any other SR primer I have on hand. Tried HS6 which was OK. Didn't care for Autocomp which was a little dirty and violent in my gun. N105 was harsher than the 3N38 in my gun.

Looks like a large percentage are using 4756 - I might have to try that powder again.

Also interesting that out of 108 polled none one uses 38TJ

shooterbenedetto

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Starline 38 supercomp or 38 TJ

Winchester autocomp 8.1g

aol 1.245

THIS IS ON A TANFOGLIO V12!! 12 PORT HOLES!

He sneaked it in there :)

Currently working up loads for my new 38S Tanfoglio V12. Running 124gr MG CMJs and Starline SC brass with WSPM primers.

Front-runner for powder right now is IMR SR4756. VV 3N38 is pretty close; I'm going to bump up my 3N38 load and see if a hotter 3N38 load will run flatter than the 4756 load.

VV N105 seems a lot more violent than the others, in my gun and at the levels needed for a comfortable margin of error on PF. (It was very nice at 10.3gr, but that was yielding an average PF of 165.4 - WAY too close for comfort.)