Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need a .22 magnum rifle recommendation

SDM

I'm looking at buying either a Savage or Marlin .22 magnum. Is there any reason to pick one over the other? I've looked at both and they seem very similar and I've heard good things about the accuracy of both brands.

Either rifle would do fine but the real question is do you need the "magnum"? 22 mag ammo is very pricey when compared to 22 LR.

You're right, I have little need for it, though it may see some use as a groundhog gun in places where a centerfire .22 is too much. I'm just looking at something different. I've got all the long rifles I need.

I prefer the Savage over the Marlin.

I would get the CZ452 American and get a competent gunsmith to tidy the trigger to about 2lb. Reasonable price and better quality than both the Savage and Marlin.

The 22 Magnum is best with the 40gr projectiles from all the good makers. Great on Rabbits to about 150Y if there is no wind, I am sure it will work on groundhogs. I have shot Goats and Deer with it, but only at short range and clear head shots.

17HMR will stretch it a little more, but is more sensitive to the wind.

I also own a 22Hornet and it hands down hammers the 22Magnum. The Hornet is a little noisier than the Magnum, but not by much.

Another caliber would be the Remington 591/592 5mm rimfire, the rifles are still around in very good condition at a fair price. Centurion is making the ammo again at a price comparable to the 17HMR and less than 22 magnum.

Rich

I thought about the Ruger and the CZ but I really don't want to put much money it as I won't be using it all that much. There are some places here where a centerfire can't be used (either by reg or by logic). I'm going to look at that 5mm. That sounds interesting. I'm really interested to find out the differences between the two rifles I mentioned. When I look at them I don't see a whole lot of difference.

I put alot of thought and research into this, The 22 mag is a great round, that flat hammers groundhogs, I live in a no centerfire for hunting area. The 17 was all about hype and really doesnt hit like the 22 mag. Every 17 VS 22 mag article compared the new wizbang 17 loaded with poly tipped space age bullets against 22 mags shooting old heel shaped plated lead. Lots of good 22 mag bullets out there. I like the Speer TNT 30 gr. The 22 lr doesnt have the range or power. There is a reason it is almost impossible to find 22 mag autoloaders. The sometimes dont extract, I guess the higher pressure casues problems. The magnum research worked over Ruger are pricey but they probably run. I ended up building a Savage model 93. The trigger was the deciding factor, the Marlin needed a new trigger the Savage Accutrigger is good out of the box with a little polishing. I added a stock, glass bedding, and a few tweeks, came out pretty well.

post-6917-1257419743_thumb.jpg

post-6917-1257419662_thumb.jpg

I put alot of thought and research into this, The 22 mag is a great round, that flat hammers groundhogs, I live in a no centerfire for hunting area. The 17 was all about hype and really doesnt hit like the 22 mag. Every 17 VS 22 mag article compared the new wizbang 17 loaded with poly tipped space age bullets against 22 mags shooting old heel shaped plated lead. Lots of good 22 mag bullets out there. I like the Speer TNT 30 gr. The 22 lr doesnt have the range or power. There is a reason it is almost impossible to find 22 mag autoloaders. The sometimes dont extract, I guess the higher pressure casues problems. The magnum research worked over Ruger are pricey but they probably run. I ended up building a Savage model 93. The trigger was the deciding factor, the Marlin needed a new trigger the Savage Accutrigger is good out of the box with a little polishing. I added a stock, glass bedding, and a few tweeks, came out pretty well.

Joe,

I'm talking about a county to your west-southwest. I won't be there exclusively (not to mention I'm broke) so I'm not going to make the investment in one that you have. That thing is sharp though. It kinda matches my avatar. Did you put many rounds through it before you made the changes? How did it shoot if you did?

If money is tight (and ain't it always) that Savage 93 is going to be hard to beat. Get the heavy barrel version in whatever stock configuration you can afford. They make one called the BTVS it looks like Joe4d's but is factory stocked in brown laminate. http://www.savagearms.com/93btvs.htm

I have a few guys I shoot with who have them, a little tickling of the trigger and they are awesome, the most accurate, as it happens, has not had the trigger worked.

I work in a gun shop down here and we sell swags of them, they are a good rifle at a decent price, more importantly from your point of view they are at least a US company. I just prefer the CZ452. I forgot about the Ruger, another nice choice, excellent rifle but again a little more money.

The main thing is to stay away from anything really odd ball. I can't recommend the 5mm Rem Rimfire, this is the first time in 20+ years that the ammo has been available, excellent cartridge, but if they never make it again or wait another 20years, you are screwed.

22WMR is going to be around for a while. Just too many guns around to let it die. Plus it works for it's intended purpose with little fuss.

Stay away from the semis. More money and unless you spend big, then they are not good enough. I like the Volqaurtsen or Magnum Reasearch, which will need the trigger fixing, we have a MR at the shop real nice now we fixed the trigger. All the reasonable priced good ones (Marlin, H&R and CZ) have been discontinued. The 597 is a pup, or in a few years, a dog. Shame Ruger canned the 1022 Magnum, but I think they had issues with all the Ultra Lightweight High Velocity bulleted ammo causing problems with keeping the bolt shut for long enough. Bolt guns just work better. Plus at long range who needs a fast second shot, unless you like to miss?

Plus at long range who needs a fast second shot, unless you like to miss?

Along those lines...

H&R has a Sportster (single-shot) in 22mag.

I just hit google and saw one listed for $135.

I don't know much about them. Last winter, I was considering and H&R in 17HMR. From what I read then, it seemed like a lot of gun for very little money...if it suited your needs.

If you aren't after a traditional long-gun, maybe a Contender/Encore ?

Plus at long range who needs a fast second shot, unless you like to miss?

Along those lines...

H&R has a Sportster (single-shot) in 22mag.

I just hit google and saw one listed for $135.

I don't know much about them. Last winter, I was considering and H&R in 17HMR. From what I read then, it seemed like a lot of gun for very little money...if it suited your needs.

If you aren't after a traditional long-gun, maybe a Contender/Encore ?

Contender/Encore in 22 hornet is very sweet.

The H&R will do fine if you get the trigger adjusted.

For all round value for the money in a traditional bolt gun, you will not do better than the CZ for reasons previously stated.

Between the two you laid out for consideration, Savage is a better rifle.

Reading all of this makes me realize how much I miss shooting groundhogs. And if you have not yet eaten one, you do not know what your missing.