Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner's Question re: magazines

doc540

I'm searching and reading before my first IDPA match this coming Sat., but I could sure you a clear, simple answer.

Regarding additional magazines for my 9mm Combat Commander, have I already screwed up by ordering 10 round mag's?

I called Virgil Tripp this morning and ordered two.

Are 10 rounders good to go or should I call back and change my order?

thnx

(sorry, but I did read about the 6 shot strings during a qualifier, but what about future matches?)

Edited by doc540

mags will either fit the box or they wont, max capacity in IDPA is 10+1 not sure if the mags you ordered will fit or not, I never really found any 10 round 9mm or 38 super mags I was happy with, all had problems. Granted I havent tried in about 3 or 4 years. Honestly though once you learn the game you will find out you are way better off running 9+1.

20+ reads w/o an answer?

Did I forget the double secret handshake again?

Don't be so impatient, you only asked this about 45 minutes ago, from your second post. I use a 1911 9mm with a magwell, it fits in the box.

Relax,

A.T.

20+ reads w/o an answer?

Don't be so impatient, you only asked this about 45 minutes ago, from your second post. I use a 1911 9mm with a magwell, it fits in the box.

Relax,

A.T.

I'm relaxed.

Was just curious about the 20+ veiws w/o a reply. Most everyone here has been both friendly and helpful.

My sense of urgency was due to the fact that Virgil was shipping them either this afternoon or in the morning.

Called him back, and they fit in the box since they're 9mm.

Edited by doc540

20+ reads w/o an answer?

19 of those reads from others wanting to see what the answer is.... :closedeyes:

AND, You don't get the info on the Double Secret handshake until your post count reaches 3500. :devil:

Joe4D has the short and correct answer. If it fits the box it's good to go. (Max of 10 in the mag when the buzzer sounds)

doc, for IDPA you need to use the same capacity mags for all stages. If you have all 9 round mags you will start with 9 in the mag plus one in the chamber. If you have 10 rounders you start with 10 in the mag plus one in the chamber. If you have a mixed bag, then you should ask the SO at the match how they want you to load. If I had 2 ten rounders and one 9 round mag, I would start with 10 plus one in the gun, use the other 10 rounder for my reload and have the 9 rounder in my back mag pouch. For the IDPA classifier you will need to download your mags for some strings. Just listen to the instructions and follow. :)

I think you should take your Detective Special along and see if you can shoot the classifier a second time with it. That way you will be classified in Stock Service Revolver also. Then when your attraction to those bottom feeders starts to die you will be ready to return to your first love. :cheers::roflol:

Bill

ps: I have a 9mm Commander and think it is a really fun gun to shoot. :cheers:

doc, for IDPA you need to use the same capacity mags for all stages. If you have all 9 round mags you will start with 9 in the mag plus one in the chamber. If you have 10 rounders you start with 10 in the mag plus one in the chamber. If you have a mixed bag, then you should ask the SO at the match how they want you to load. If I had 2 ten rounders and one 9 round mag, I would start with 10 plus one in the gun, use the other 10 rounder for my reload and have the 9 rounder in my back mag pouch. For the IDPA classifier you will need to download your mags for some strings. Just listen to the instructions and follow. :)

I think you should take your Detective Special along and see if you can shoot the classifier a second time with it. That way you will be classified in Stock Service Revolver also. Then when your attraction to those bottom feeders starts to die you will be ready to return to your first love. :cheers::roflol:

Bill

ps: I have a 9mm Commander and think it is a really fun gun to shoot. :cheers:

hahaha....Bill, you're a mind reader because I take my Agent everywhere and thought about shooting it last weekend, too!

I think the whole thing will be a 6 round affair, so that simplifies things.

The ten rounders might be of value at later matches.

If the two, 10 rounders get here by Saturday, I'll have four, 9mm mag's to work with.

thnx!

Doc,

According to the Rule Book, you have to start with all mags loaded to division capacity, which in ESP would be ten rounds, or the meximum capacity of the magazine if it doesn't hold ten, i.e. it's okay to run nine rounds in a mag in ESP if the magazine only holds nine rounds. If you have a mix of 9-rounders and 10-rounders, all the mags would have to be loaded with nine rounds, you can't start with some loaded with nine and some loaded with ten. You may only run the stage with your magazines loaded with the number of rounds held by the lowest capacity magazine you're using because every magazine must start with the same number of rounds in it. This is to stop competitors from carrying and using a mixture of different capacity magazines, then choosing which one to run for best results in each individual stage.

This would all be a lot easier if you had either three 9-round mags or three 10-round mags. Two of each is just not making it. As it is, download your 10-rounders to nine rounds and you'll be okay.

Of course the Tripp mags fit the box. The 10-round 9mm mags were designed specifically for IDPA, so having them not fit in the IDPA box would be really rather silly. ;)

I would suggest, on the classifier, dropping the idea of downloading every mag to six rounds. That approach would cause you to have to do way more reloading of mags, or at least removal of depleted mags from the gun and replacement with loaded mags, than is really necessary. For instance, the first three strings of fire on the classifier each require three rounds. If you start out with the gun - or the magazine in the gun - loaded only with six rounds, you're going to have to reload after the first two strings instead of being able to run all three before reloading, and so on.

Also, ideally you want to complete each stage of the classifier without having to fumble in your pockets for loose cartridges to top off a magazine. The first time you run the classifier you've just got way too many other things on your mind to be dealing with that, too. You want to be able to complete each stage with the ammo that's already loaded in your magazines when you start the stage. Each of the three stages on the classifier goes 30 rounds. It would require five 6-round mags to complete the stage. You only have four mags. See the problem?

Believe me, this will all make sense once you've actually done it. :D

By the way, congratulations on stepping up to the plate and going to your first-ever IDPA match. I know this can all be rather overwhelming and intimidating at first. You are doing something most people will never find the guts to do. Feel proud of yourself, because you should be proud.

Doc You didn't do wrong with ordering the Tripp magazines. I have several of them and they will fit in the IDPA box. Check all your magazines when you recive them to verify they don't lock the slide back with one round left in the magazine. If one does, call Virgil. He will fix the problem by sending you a new follower. His customer service is outstanding. Enjoy

Ok my take on 9mm 1911 ESP IDPA magazines.

9mm and 38 super 10 round mags have issues, they either have springs that die really quickly, or hold ten rounds so tight you have issues doing a tack reload.

Lots and lots of IDPA stages are 12 rounds, with a normal max of 18 to keep things division neutral, Now why designers think they have to make stages divisdion neutral I have no idea as each division is only scored against itself, but that is another issue,

12 rounds means, 10+1, 6+6, 7+1, and 8+1 divisions all must reload once and only once with 12 rounds.

so a typical stage with a 10 +1 gun 2,2,2,2,2 1, reload and reengage the last target, or a 2 2 2 2 2 2 with a tack reload somewhere. with a 9+1 stage you 2 2 2 2 2 slide lock and double tap last target.

A well-designed match will have a mixture of stages so that it's not all 2 2 2 etc. For instance, I shot the 2005 Idaho state match with 7-round magazines in CDP because the gun I was firing wouldn't lock open on 8s. In a 12 stage match there were two stages where I actually felt I had an advantage beginning with eight rounds in the gun, two more where I would have been better off with nine, and for all the others it didn't matter. Basically, it was a wash. I will admit though that sometimes you do hit matches where you just wind up 2 2 2ing your way through every stage.

I prefer the 9-round 9mm mags, specifically the stainless steel, Robbie Leatham-designed Metalforms with the "pre-feed ramp" in front. A lot of that has to do with liking my 1911 mags to be flat all the way down, i.e. the floorplate is no wider than the tube, as opposed to the wide floorplates on 10-rounders, but that's just me.

Keep those 10 round mags they are what you need for that other game USPSA.

The most important thing in your first match is safety so make sure you understand all the safety stuff. Next when you get to that first stage and a guy charges thru there and shoots so fast it sounds like his running on full auto, remember this isn't his first rodeo. IDPA punishes you a lot for bad hits and more for a miss so just concentrate on making your hits and time will take care of its self.

Most local clubs will let you shoot what ever you brung the first couple of matches, as long as it fits the practicle ideology.

As far as smacking the magazine to do a Tac-Reload, I had the same problem with another manufactuar. I actually had to cut the magazine spring to make it right. I called the manuafactuar and was told "Load the magazine to full capacity and it will loosen up." Yea right. Ordered Tripp magazine from Virgil. The difference was night and day. Sold the other ones for 10 bucks each. Stay with your original decision on your purchase. You won't be sorry.

Keep those 10 round mags they are what you need for that other game USPSA.

The most important thing in your first match is safety so make sure you understand all the safety stuff. Next when you get to that first stage and a guy charges thru there and shoots so fast it sounds like his running on full auto, remember this isn't his first rodeo. IDPA punishes you a lot for bad hits and more for a miss so just concentrate on making your hits and time will take care of its self.

Most local clubs will let you shoot what ever you brung the first couple of matches, as long as it fits the practicle ideology.

thanks for the safety reminder (i'm the guy who got his thread locked for ranting about shooting range muzzle sweeps, if that's any reassurance) :)

I've printed a "Tips for Shooting an IDPA Classifier Match", complete with chart and diagram and am doing my homework.

It also stresses shooting for hits over speed.

I've also made a shorthand notecard about each stage and string so I can do a quick review before I shoot.

Shot my first public match (not IDPA) last weekend, and I felt the distraction and rush to reload mag's before a string. I'll try to relax more this time.

Safety is, indeed, first.

and thanks again for all the counsel....this is gonna be fun