Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 3 gun, what class will my equipment put me in?

jmurch

I'm new to 3 gun, I've fired one rifle stage at my club's match last month and had a lot of fun. I plan to use what I have as much as possible at least for the first few matches.

Rifle: RRA 18" with a 20" site radius 1:8 iron sights.

Shotgun: Mossberg 935spx 7+1 rifle sights.

Pistol: Sig P220 4 mags (could use a holster recommendation).

TIA, Jeff

Limited

But you might need a couple more pistol mags depending on the stages. I don't feel comfortable unless I have 2x as many rounds in mags as I expect to need, especially if steel is involved and I am having an off day. If I only had 33 rounds on me I would feel naked.

Thanks all. 4 mags would only give me 24 rounds. I'll see if I can scare up a few more.

Anyone have holster recommendations? All I have now is an OWB holster for CCW.

Jeff

Your mags only hold 6? All the P220's I have seen had 8 rounders, 8x4= 32 plus a Barney bullet=33rds

Mine are actually 7s. If I order 10s will that change effect what division I can shoot?

Jeff

10's should be fine in limited assuming they work. A 7 shot mag that works is better than a 10 shot one that doesn't.

If shooting irons you will be in Tactical Irons for 3-gun.

You will need more then 24 pistol rounds... My magazines I use hold 24 rounds and I don't think I ever used just one magazine (ie 24 rounds) in a stage. I wouldn't go hog wild and start shelling out a bunch of money on magazine. You might want to look at getting a different pistol for the long term, something in a 9MM. It will save you money in the long term over shooting 45, may help you with a faster second shot, and increase your mag capacity. Something to think about down the road maybe.

For a holster I would suggest something like the Comp-Tac belt holster or the Blade-Tech DOH.

G34/35

+1

You're in Limited/Tac Iron with your current setup.

Plan on eating your words regarding using what you have. If you can shoot 3 gun and not get caught up in and buy some or all the cool guns and gear out there you are way stronger than most of us.

Keep that Mossberg clean! I shot with a guy that was using one for the first time at our local match last month and it wouldn't run. He had just bought it used. He took it out the day before the match to give it a test run of a few hundred rounds. He said it ran flawlessly before the match but come match day it would not eject shells at all. He said he cleaned it after the match and it was filthy.

Good luck to you.

Edited by jtischauser

Welcome to Limited/Tac Irons.

For multigun, I like the Blackhawk Serpa holster with the lock. It keeps your gun from bouncing out when you go prone with your rifle/shotgun (I have also used the Bladetech without problems, just tighten it up some). I modify the serpa by bending the lever out (easier to disengage). I also dropped the holster down on the paddle and spaced it out about 1/2". It works for me.

As far as a 9mm goes, I like a Glock with Dawson sights.

All just my opinions though, there may be better things for you.

Have fun

hurley

Thanks everyone for the advice/suggestions and the welcomes.

I'm going to my club's 'Tuesday Night Steel' tonight to do a little recon. Both my daughter and I have been hi-power shooters there for many years. She has branched off to shooting sporting clays since she works weekends there (she can shoot it anytime) and I am giving three gun and maybe the pistol matches a try.

Jeff

Handguns in 9mm?

Glock, CZ, M&P Pro.

I shoot the Pro and love it. Its definitely on the "try-before-you-buy" list.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Highjack, but not intending too, but heres what I got and have the same questions:

M&P15 with 18.5in Noveske barrel and 3-9x40 Burris(want to get 1-4)

G34

11-87

That will work out well in Tac Optics/Tactical division. Glock 34/35's are a great 3 gun hand gun. The burris 3x9 is probably too much optic, consider a 1x4 XTR/TR21 or 24 or K Dot/DMS-1/ or millet 1x4 etc but otherwise your set up will work well I would think.

Edited by cold