Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better Gun for IDPA SSR: 3" 65 or 4"15

sprout

I've been shooting a 4 inch 66 for a while, but I recently picked up a 15 and a 65 on consignment. The 66 had a really bad trigger when I bought it, which got a lot better after an action job, but the pulls on the two new guns are much, much better.

On paper, the 15 would be the logical choice, with the adjustable sights and 4 inch barrel, but my only blue revolver is and old 17-1, and I'm worried about how hard it will be to clean the chambers and cylinder face (I use a lead-away cloth on the 66). The 65 is accurate, shoots POA, points just as well as the 15, and would be really easy to clean. However, I'm worried the little fixed sights will be a liability at long range.

I'm still pretty new at this, and any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

I have a 4 inch Ruger GP-100 with FO front sight and adjustable rear, and a 3 inch GP-100 with fixed sights (flourescent orange front) that I have zeroed for 158 loads. I have shot both extensively in IDPA and I score better with the 4 inch. The 3 inch is quicker, and works well if the COF is short targets (where you are more or less point shooting at a full target) but, there are times when NTs and hardcover make some tight shots, even at closer ranges, and the 3 inch lacks there. Nowdays the 3 inch is just a BUG or back up gun. I think you'll be happier with the M15 four inch and adjustable sights.

Chris Christian

Well, I've got a 3" 64 for carry and a Carmonized 4" 15 for SSR. To me, the real difference is the action work. While things like sight radius and adjustable sights seem like they should make a big difference, for IDPA they don't, and to me the sight picture between the fixed and adjustable sights is almost exactly the same. I can't shoot much IDPA anymore with my work schedule, so i'm probably going to just use my carry gun for the rare occasions that i can. if you want a tricked out SSR gun that you won't feel bad about beating up, PM me. I'll make you a deal.

Thanks everybody! I took them both and my 66 to the static range yesterday and tried controlled pairs, transitions, and 25 yard groups. Between the 65 and the 15, there wasn't a massive difference, but I think I could get accurate shots faster with the 15. However, even with the heavier, somewhat less smooth trigger, I did a lot better with the 66. As a lot of people pointed out, I think the controlling factor is the sights (fixed v. std adj. v. massive LPA rear)

Well, I've got a 3" 64 for carry and a Carmonized 4" 15 for SSR. To me, the real difference is the action work. While things like sight radius and adjustable sights seem like they should make a big difference, for IDPA they don't, and to me the sight picture between the fixed and adjustable sights is almost exactly the same. I can't shoot much IDPA anymore with my work schedule, so i'm probably going to just use my carry gun for the rare occasions that i can. if you want a tricked out SSR gun that you won't feel bad about beating up, PM me. I'll make you a deal.

Wow, I really appreciate the offer! And where were you when I bought my un-Carmonized 15 :) ? Unfortunately, after buying the two guns, I can't really justify another for a while, and I live in California, where I've had stores tell me they would charge me $180 to do an out-of-state transfer on a $90 Romanian .22 Trainer.

Thanks again everybody.

My opinion is pretty much like the others, 3 & 4 inches not a lot of difference for IDPA but the nod goes to the 4 inch gun.

I have two 625's one a 3 other 4 inch. Same grips and the 3 can use the 4's holster. The 3 has a heavier action and ramp front sight, it's primary for self defense. 4 inch gun has had action work and has choked on hard primers like Winchesteers, last time when the strain screw backed out 1/2 turn . Partridge front sight and Weigand wide notch rear. It's faster on target due to the better sights.

However when that screw backed out during a match switched over to the 3 inch and felt no disavantage in fact you forget which one you are shooting.

Boats

How about the gun that will deliver the bullets with the approprite velocity to meet the power factor requirement?

Your chances are better with the 4 inch bbl.

From the IDPA rulebook:

"Calculate power floor by multiplying the bullet weight by the

muzzle velocity. You will need a chronograph to verify muzzle

velocity.

2. Official Chronograph Procedure

Chronograph three (3) rounds at a distance of ten (10) feet using a

gun of MAXIMUM barrel length for the DIVISION of the same

gun type. If two (2) of the three (3) rounds exceed the power floor,

the competitor is in compliance."

Logic and reason doesn't apply to IDPA rules.

Edited by Tom E

Duane actually what I am going to do is drill a small hole in the Houge Grips so I can take a screwdriver to the strain screw before matches and without much trouble. This one went sour during a match and it was easier to just switch guns. Had I been able to tighten quick would have done it.

Both of my 625's are prone to the rear sight front base screw backing out too. I ought to locktite everything but don't use it when it can be avoided. It's a quirk of mine.

On the power factor. My 4 inch makes it fine with 230gr LRN and 4.0 Clays. 3 inch does it too but closer to the line. Under IDPA as I understand the rule PF is taken with the longest barrel allowed. With SSR's I have to push to get PF in a 4 inch 686, Same loads out of a 2 1/2 inch 19 will not make it. But no matter if the factor is with a 4 inch gun. Correct me if I am wrong.

Boats

Logic and reason doesn't apply to IDPA rules.

Such comments are not tolerated on this board. If you want to bash IDPA, or all you have to contribute to the discussion is complaining about the Rule Book, then go elsewhere to do it. There are many message boards on the 'net that will welcome such commentary. This is not one of them.

The reason the IDPA Rule Book specifies that chronoing will be done with a gun featuring the maximum barrel length legal in its division is that the folks writing it realized it makes no sense to penalize the shooter running a compact gun, which will tend to recoil more heavily than a full-sized gun with the same ammo to start with, by making them load their ammo hotter, thus to pump up the velocity and make power factor out of a short barrel, therefore making their gun recoil even harder and penalizing them even more.

Way off topic but

I will get a tube of Blue. Trouble with Loc Tite and Me is I don't know one from the other and have locked up things tighter than I wanted to. Little spot of CA glue works good too and will loosen with a hot soldering iron applied to the screws head. One of my 625's thats the way I set the front sight screw need to do it to the other.

You can also get things tighter and reduce the tendency to back out by greasing the threads. Sounds backwards but the grease lets you tighten tighter and for some reason does not induce backing out. If dissimmular metals or working with alloys that are softer this is the best solution.

Shoot that 3 inch you won't be dissapointed

Boats