Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing Powders

CocoBolo

I finshed reloading a stock pile of ammo before the Nationals. Today it was time to clean up. Emptied powder measure back into bottle of Clays. I thought I loaded some N320 where are those bullets. Ooops that was N320 not Clays. Now I have a $30 useless Mix of powder. I hate forgetting important things.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER have a different powder container near the bench than what is in the powder measure.

Sort of like the rule that says NEVER EVER have live ammunition in the same room that you are dryfiring in.

Check each and every time you reload or dryfire because MR MURPHY likes to make visits in the middle of the night.

I keep all my powder UNDER the bench, except the one bottle I am using in the powder measure. That bottle goes ON TOP OF the bench (right next to my press). This makes it easy to see what is in the powder measure. But I STILL DOUBLE CHECK myself each time.

I do the same as Chris except all my powder is on the shelf above the bench. Only container on the bench is the one for the powder in the powder measure.

Also, I make labels for every batch/box of ammo I load and one of these labels goes on the side of the powder measure. When I come back to the bench, no matter how long in between reloading sessions, exactly what I was doing when I left is on the side of the powder measure. The bullet, weight, powder, load, primer and OAL.

Really helps since I can't seem to remember anything anymore.

I only use one powder at a time.....

For the first year or two it was AA#7.....

Then W231 for probably five years or so.....

Now Titegroup......

There was a short period of time, where I was trying to work up major loads --- and I bought a dedicated toolhead with powder measure for that purpose. Now I'm back down to one powder......

My normal procedure is to have the powder container on the loading table. I have two presses, one set up for .45 ACP only, the other is a 550B. I was loading some 200 gr. SWC and 3.8 gr. of bullseye and since that press is right next to the shelves of powder I had put the Bullseye can back on the shelf. I was almost finished loading 1500 rds. for a friend and went to refill the powder and noticed that the powder in the hopper was not Bullseye and instead was Unique. The Unique was on the table because I was loading some 230 RN on the Dillon. So I had a couple hundred rounds loaded with 3.8 grains of Unique or a mixture of Unique and Bullseye and no way of telling which of the 1200 rds. in the ammo can were good.

I have primer boxs (1000) with each of the powders I use written on them, one powder per sleeve. I put the correct one over the hopper like a little hat.

no runs, no drips, no errors. Because I never pay attention to what I am doing with powder :angry2: I have no idea why.

I keep one powder on the bench at a time.I also write the name in felt marker on a strip of 1"

blue painters tape. I keep the tape stuck to the jug, and when I fill the hopper I transfer the tape

to the powder hopper.