Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Samual Eugene Wycuter drill

Flexmoney

You've likely seen this one before, but here it is again.

Start in close.  Five yards or so.  The target is a 3x5 index card (a business card for you Open guys).  Once you can go six for six on a regular basis, move the target back a yard.  If you can go six for six again...move it back a yard.  And so on.

Off the clock.  No draw.

Use a version of this..

1.5 to 2 inch circles..fit 9 on a IPSC target..shoot these drills

Dot 1. draw shoot six shots all in circle

Dot 2. draw shoot one shot, six times all in circle

Dot 3. draw shoot pairs, 3 sets, all in circle

Dot 4. draw shoot pairs, strong hand only, 3 sets.

Dot 5. draw shoot pairs, weak hand only, 3 sets.

Dot 6+7. draw shoot pair, transition to next dot shoot pair.

Dot 8+9. draw shoot pair, reload transition to next dot shoot pair.

I usually start at 10 yards and then move it out.

For fun..shoot against a partner..on the timer..fastest,in the circles gets dinner or something...

anyway..works to get me settled back in from hosing too fast..and way back..whenenver I saw a really hard shot..I could crutch myself mentally on shooting dots..worked for the moment in time

TDean,

That is some good shooting.  I'm not sure how hot your load is in that G20... :)

According to my Sierra manual...a 180gr. 40 caliber bullet, doing 950fps, zeroed at 30 yards....will drop 12.92 inches at 100 yards.  A  10mph cross wind will push it off by 2.79 inches.

Six for six on that 3x5 inch index card at 100 yards is rockin'  ;)

100 yards is sweet...I went to try this..for something to do...I'm ok at 25...start opening a shot or two at 30 and 35...be fun to make this a clock drill..

Ohh I'm just talking trash, I haven't even tried it

Although I did shoot a bowling pin 7 outta 10 times at 100yds with Blazer 200gr.  The sights were perfectly aligned on the pin.  I remember thinking what a flat shooting handgun cartridge the 10mm is.

I try 8" plates 38Super 125gr lead at 1150fps, Iron Sights at 100M, prone. I aim top of the plate and hit 3-4 out of 5. This helps with trigger control. If I hit less than 2 I am usually not concentrating well and need to move the dry fire practice up a step. Tried 4" plates, but I don't have an index for the sight so I miss way to many.

Bowling pins are a little easier. But not by much.

Also helps if the wind stays at home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I found this old "step-back" drill/thread recently and thought I'd bring it back up.

I do it a little differently now. Usually just 3 shots now. If you get all three, then you can move back a yard. If you don't get all three, you have to move a yard closer....get your 3 there and move back again...if not, closer again.

(did anybody ever get my goofy joke in the title?)

......(did anybody ever get my goofy joke in the title?)

I tried, but couldn't figure it out.

But I have been known as one of the dimmer bulbs in the pack. :surprise:

dj

OK...I gotta run and didn't have time to repond in another thread, but I can get this in.

Samual Eugene Wycuter ... Sam E. Wycutter ...Semi-wadcutter.

(told you it was goofy :goof: )

Back in the day, shortly after gun powder was discovered and we evolved to pistols from pointed sticks, our "thursday class" from San Diego would do a trip to the desert for shooting fun. At night we did dueling trees without any lights or night sights. In the day we'd set up stages and shoot them over and over, trying different methods. One place we went had a nice canyon and we set up something we called it the long distance bianchi plates. The closest plate was a 12" at 50 yards, the furthest was 183 yard 18x24 gong. On Friday, the goal was to shoot it clean. On Saturday, we shot for time clean. By Sunday we were trying weak hand/strong hand. You certainly learned where point of aim point of impact was!

I'll have to try this drill the next time I'm out and see what is the furthest I can manage. I know I can nail a 8" plate at 75....but a 3x5 card?

Carina...that is some good stuff.

If you are gong to try this one, as an accomplished shooter, feel free to adapt it (to save ammo).

For me, I might start out at 5y, and move back in 3y or 5y increments until it started to get tough. Then, I'd revert to the 1y steps.

• 1 month later...

I'm just getting back into training and plan to establish a good base of fundimentals before working with the timer again. I found this drill today at lunch and the wife and I shot it this afternoon. What an excellent drill. Sue got back to 25 yards with an open pistol shooting at a business card and I got back to 23 yards with my limited gun on a 3X4 card. Couldn't find a 3X5 or I might have made it to 25. :rolleyes:

Thanks Flex!

David Benzick

David,

Glad you like it.

Seems like it's a focus on trigger and sights...and requires much more accuracy than just blasting at the A-zone. It's not really group shooting, but it's close. The step back, move forward, aspect works to keep us honest and involved. You can't help but learn where your gun is hitting.

I think it's a confidence builder too. It makes you get on the sights and trigger, then once you do...it builds on itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I am alternating this drill with group shooting and "The Test". I shoot the limited blaster on 3 1/2"x3 1/2" sticky notes and Sue shoots her open gun on 2 1/4" x 3 1/2" business cards. My best is 30 yards and her's is 27 yards.

This drill has more of a pressure factor than group shooting for me. This is due to the penalty of having to give up ground when you miss and work your way back. Just like plunking a No Shoot or throwing a Mike in a match.

I'll definitely keep this in my drill reps.

Later

Dave

David,

Glad you like it.

Seems like it's a focus on trigger and sights...and requires much more accuracy than just blasting at the A-zone. It's not really group shooting, but it's close. The step back, move forward, aspect works to keep us honest and involved. You can't help but learn where your gun is hitting.

I think it's a confidence builder too. It makes you get on the sights and trigger, then once you do...it builds on itself.

We had a local IPSC match at an NRA club that shot many different disciplines. One day we were waiting for the previous squad to finish the stage and I took a peek around the berm. Someone had set-up a complete 200m Silhouette range for a practice that was being held later that day. Expecting that he might convert a few folks he offered us the opportunity to take a few shots at his targets. Within a few minutes our entire squad was shooting the targets out to 200m. I and a fellow 9x25 shooter were able to hit the 200m ram (he was hitting it regularly). It was particularly fun watching the holdover that the .45 guys had to use to make the 200m trip. Looked like artillery shells being lobbed in. But it is amazing how much accuracy is possible with a little practice and effort.