Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

seeing the bullet streak

Field

maybe a third or quarter of the time when i am shooting at targets and there isnt a bunch of smoke i can see the orange streak of where the bullet went after it left my muzzle. This is kind of nice and would rather have this happen more often but im guessing its more due to light conditions and muzzle velocity over anything else am i right? any input appreciated i know this is kind of a wierd question

Get behind and to the side of a .45 auto shooting lead at low velocities with the sun at your back. You can see the bullet without even looking for it. I would say the smaller and faster the bullet gets the harder it is to catch one.

Many times when I was spotting during a IHMSA metallic silhouette match, I could see the bullets arc out and dive down into the 200 meter rams. I was using 10x40 binoculars on a microphone stand and the loads were far from slow. I'm talking .308 and 7 IHMSA unlimited guns...Lighting conditions have to be just right.

for 'slower' rounds ie. .45 andthe like, its lighting, stand behind or offto one side w/ the sun at your back and you will probably see them go downrange

was spotting for my gunsmith shooting a 7mm ultra mag at 600 yrds, standing behind him w/ a spotting scope you can see the the bullet AND the shock wave it creates as its breakingthe sound barrier moving downrange, pretty danged cool actually

I have a BSA Martini 22lr that when I use it with T22 and the light is just right I can see the bulets loop into the target through the scope.

My 45ACP pansy loads are about 700fps and when shot at 100y we deliberately watch them in just drop the pistol a tiny amount and lift your eyes. Hopelessy inaccurate when you do that.

If you are seeing the bullets fly in a lot, then you are letting your focus drift off the front sight. Keep practicing until you never see them. Let other people watch them into the X ring for you. Or if you must watch it get someone to video it with a good camera and look at it at home.

I've been shooting copper plated bullets lately and when I shoot indoors I can see the rear of the bullet glowing as it goes down range. Not exactly the same as everyone else, but pretty cool. Last year when we put on a low light IDPA match, when the flashlights were up and people were shooting, you could usually watch their bullets travel down range when I was running as an RSO.

I did two night shoots this weekend that included some 50 yd shots and it was sometime possible to see my own bullets like they were tracers. I assumed it was either heat from the bottom of the jacket (Montana Gold CMJ's) or residual powder stuck to the base of the bullet.