Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 shot moon clips for 38 lc/sc

ChrisC

my 627 will be in my hands shortly... im going to have to start gearing up for it....

one of the most important items are moon clips....

who all runs what? whats all out there to choose from?

i talked with several shooters this past weekend about ammo and basically on the fence for 38 short colt and 38 long colt... both with advantages and draw backs....

of course ill still have to practice... or at least think about it from time to time.....

Use Starline brass which is about the only choice and order Hearthco moonclips specifically EDM'ed to fit Starline brass. If you don't do this, the rounds will wobble and flop all over and make your reloads misery during action shooting. Naturally, the Hearthco moons will work with both Short and Long Colt. I handload the Short Colts minor and the Long Colts major using Billy Bullets.

Bob.

A16841.

my 627 will be in my hands shortly... im going to have to start gearing up for it....

one of the most important items are moon clips....

who all runs what? whats all out there to choose from?

i talked with several shooters this past weekend about ammo and basically on the fence for 38 short colt and 38 long colt... both with advantages and draw backs....

of course ill still have to practice... or at least think about it from time to time.....

Chris, you are going to love the SCs, I have been using them for the past year with Starline Brass and standard hearthco 38 spcl moon clips. I prefer them to be slightly loose as they have a tendency to self center when I drop them in. If you find the cost of the Hearthcos too much I have used moonclips from a company in Ohio (Ranch Products) and found they work pretty good for less than a buck each. I try to use the less expensive moon clips when there is a good possibility they will be stepped on.

Edited by 357454

Chris, I know we've talked about this already, but a couple additional thoughts:

1. If you're not planning to load and shoot major loads on a regular basis, using .38 Long Colt brass offers no advantage over .38 Short Colt brass. If anybody sees another reason to run Long Colt brass, I'd be interested to hear it. Very few of us have a need or desire to compete with major loads in a 627.

2. I'm going to disagree with 357454's suggestion to use "regular" Hearthco moonclips with Starline brass. The only reason I pay the money for Hearthcos is the tight fit, which absolutely does enhance reloading speed with the 8-shooters. Other brands of moonclips will bind if the rounds fit too tight, but Hearthco moons are machined to the exact dimension and work best when the rounds are tight enough that you need a moonsetting tool to load the clips.

what grain of bullet?

what dies do you load 38 short colt with?

a couple of the Long Colt supporters I shoot with said they couldn't not get the accuracy out of their shorts and they could with their longs after 25 yards....

i have found that i don't like loose clips... i have the RIMZ for my 610 and couldn't be happier with them... just not real excited about 6 dollar moon clips :)

Chris, I know we've talked about this already, but a couple additional thoughts:

1. If you're not planning to load and shoot major loads on a regular basis, using .38 Long Colt brass offers no advantage over .38 Short Colt brass. If anybody sees another reason to run Long Colt brass, I'd be interested to hear it. Very few of us have a need or desire to compete with major loads in a 627.

2. I'm going to disagree with 357454's suggestion to use "regular" Hearthco moonclips with Starline brass. The only reason I pay the money for Hearthcos is the tight fit, which absolutely does enhance reloading speed with the 8-shooters. Other brands of moonclips will bind if the rounds fit too tight, but Hearthco moons are machined to the exact dimension and work best when the rounds are tight enough that you need a moonsetting tool to load the clips.

And, Im a really nice guy!! :roflol:

what grain of bullet?

what dies do you load 38 short colt with?

a couple of the Long Colt supporters I shoot with said they couldn't not get the accuracy out of their shorts and they could with their longs after 25 yards....

i have found that i don't like loose clips... i have the RIMZ for my 610 and couldn't be happier with them... just not real excited about 6 dollar moon clips :)

Chris: I have been loading the 158 grain Berrys plated in my SCs.

For dies I would suggest using a 38 special resizing die and 9mm seater and crimping die, or you can buy the LEE 38 short colt die set. I have both for my Dillon 650 and prefer the 38 special and 9mm combination. I also use a 9mm powder die for a tighter bullet fit in the case.

If you do not over flare the case for bullet seating you can get good life out of them. My first batch of Starline brass have all been reloaded at least five times with no signs of case cracking.

2. I'm going to disagree with 357454's suggestion to use "regular" Hearthco moon clips with Starline brass. The only reason I pay the money for Hearthcos is the tight fit, which absolutely does enhance reloading speed with the 8-shooters. Other brands of moonclips will bind if the rounds fit too tight, but Hearthco moons are machined to the exact dimension and work best when the rounds are tight enough that you need a moonsetting tool to load the clips.

I should have explained that my reason for using standard Hearthco clips in my 627 was partially I am a tight ******* and secondly I can use them for 38 short colt 38 special and 357 magnum brass in the same guns. I use my 627s for ICORE, our local speed shoots and bowling pins.

I use Starline .38 Short Colt with Hearthco moon clips, they work great. The .38 Long Colt are so close in length to .38 Special that

I didn't see any use in loading yet another caliber for something that needs more powder.

Hearthco Moonclip are the only way to go!

Starline 38 short colt brass, 158 RN Rainier plated bullets and 4.4 grains IMR 4756 powder is the ICORE load I've used for the last 5-6 years.

I'll be watching the mail box for my check Dave :rolleyes:

Edited by TMC

There was this time when I got arrested in Tulsa (long story) and I had about 70 hearthco moonclips in my gun bag, the local cops couldn't care less about my guns and ammo, they were trying to figure out what these little round things were. I was thinking (wwcw) what would cliff walsh do in a situation like this, so I told the younger of the two cops that these were minuture mutant ninja throwing stars made by Dave Hearth, Master of the Universe. The two cops were so impressed that they had another charge to slap me with until they started throwing the moons and they wouldn't stick into anything. Long story boring, hearthco moons saved me from going to jail, I owe it all to you Dave Hearth...

So buy Hearthco moons or else, nothing works as good!!!

michaels

There was this time when I got arrested in Tulsa (long story) and I had about 70 hearthco moonclips in my gun bag, the local cops couldn't care less about my guns and ammo, they were trying to figure out what these little round things were. I was thinking (wwcw) what would cliff walsh do in a situation like this, so I told the younger of the two cops that these were minuture mutant ninja throwing stars made by Dave Hearth, Master of the Universe. The two cops were so impressed that they had another charge to slap me with until they started throwing the moons and they wouldn't stick into anything. Long story boring, hearthco moons saved me from going to jail, I owe it all to you Dave Hearth...

michaels

THAT'S FREEKIN FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflol:

michaels

If you have 70 Hearthco moonclips bail should be chump change.

And, Im a really nice guy!! :roflol:

Yes he is!!!! :cheers:

michaels

If you have 70 Hearthco moonclips bail should be chump change.

Dont know you but I have met Cliff Walsh at the match in July Mike C. and Jay put on= no doubt after

reading this lil" story and

listening to these guys all week end and shooting with Cliff :goof: there is a whole breed of shooters that are funny and

a joy to be around. :blink::D

Jim/Pa

Sailors

Sailors

i got my clips in the mail today... now only if i had my gun :)

Chris, I have everything I need to complete your new open rig except the C-More. It's been on order for awhile--hopefully it won't take too much longer and we can get you crankin'!

Edited by Carmoney

It's all good... I have everything but bullets and a moon clip holder. I found some 38 short/long colt carbide dies, i have a new holester, belt, moon clips and 1,000 pieaces of shiney new short colt starline brass...

I eventually had to tell my wife about it she kept asking me about these packages that started showing up...