Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Am I Doing?

doc540

While not training for competition, I'm learning to shoot a 1911-style pistol.

Been reading and listening here, so after the last trigger adjustment to 4.5lbs, here is my best group yesterday.

At my age and with my eyesight I'm certainly no marksman, but the 1991 LW Commander in .45 is a just dreamboat to shoot.

16 rounds, offhand, WWB hardball at about 25 feet.

Just standing and shooting with a two-hand grip:

(camera phone pic)

target-1-1.jpg

with this

DSCN0349-1.jpg

Doc,

That there pistola seems inherently inaccurate. In the interests of your safety please send it to my FFL. I would sleep better knowing such a pistol was in my safe, off the streets. :roflol:

Nice shooting. If you're ever out my way come shoot with us. You can play a round of golf afterward as it's the big thing with the resorts around here.

JZ

Your homework assignment is to shoot a one-hole group at the same distance, with the same gun and ammo. ;)

Thanks, assignment accepted.

I only got 7 out of 16 in one hole there, so I've got a lot of work to do.

And I can see how shooting a match will be a revelation.

Yer welcome. :)

You'll immensely enjoy your first match. I know it seems a bit intimidating at the moment. But it's kind of like the first time I ever went skydiving. This was something I was always going to do "when I'm ready." Eventually I figured out there are some things you're never "ready" to do. So you just say, "To hell with it," and do them anyway.

Your homework assignment is to shoot a one-hole group at the same distance, with the same gun and ammo. ;)

Once you turn in that assignment, your next one might be to shoot a 5-shot group at 15 yards, with all the bullet holes touching.

From my experience, your pistol (and the shooter) will have to be capable of shooting consistent 2 inch (or under) groups at 50 yards, from off sandbags/benchrest to do that.

be

Kind of depends if you're hitting where you're aiming, or not. You're in the 7/8 zone, so mayby you're right handed and pushing the gun to the left? Common issue for new and not so new folks. Ask me how I know. :)

The 1911 is neat in that the trigger takes little pressure and goes straight back. Most other guns have the trigger as a lever. Take the advice above, get yourself some extra magazines and holders and go shoot either USPSA Single Stack or IDPA CDP. You'll quickly see how wide those groups get when you're against the clock. However, you'll probably have a lot of fun and find more reasons to practice than just shaving an inch or fraction off your groups.

Leam

• 1 month later...
yep, right hand, left dominant eye, right eye not worth a flip

:) That explains a lot about your group opening up both right and left (mostly right). Two things: First, you need to teach yourself that RECOIL IS YOUR FRIEND! If the pistol doesn't recoil then you aren't going to be able to shoot it accurately at speed. Next, concentrate on your grip. Set your gun hand on the pistol and press it in, hard, from front to back.

Managing the size of your shot group begins with managing the way you press the pistol's backstrap into the web of your gun hand. Get this right; do it the same way every time, and I think you'll be surprised at how much better you're shooting.

Like most newbies you lack consistency; however, you also show real promise! Don't fight the recoil; learn how to work with it instead. Elsewhere, I've written, 'pages' on this particular topic. I don't feel like reiterating it all here and now. If you wish to study pistol grip dynamics PM me, and I'll pass some of what I have on file about this topic along to you.

- David

yep, right hand, left dominant eye, right eye not worth a flip

Left handed, Right eye dominant. Even worse, the eyes are such that wearing prescription glasses I can't focus on the front sight and without I can't see the target. So I just hope 'em and smoke 'em. :P

Leam

Thats looking pretty good. Keep working at it when it tightens up move the target out when you can do that at 25 yards you will be rocking.

Present the gun in front of the dominant eye (left) and shoot with both eyes open if you can, but it will take a lot of practice in dry fire to do that. If you can't see both sites and target see the eye doctor and get some special shooting glasses it helps.

If that is an over the counter gun and ammo it will have a 2-3" group at 25 yards from a ransom resty any way. Now for those of us shooting a custom built gun with handloads and triggers under 2# shoting thousands of rounds every month we should do better than that. :cheers: