Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Leading?

belus

Since its last cleaning, I've shot close to 400rds of 9minor using Black Bullets International's 130gr ahead of Solo1000. But when I took my pistol apart after the match this morning I noticed something pealing off the rifling.

Am I correct in identifying this as normal fouling, or could it be a symptom of something more serious? I've never seen a photograph of leading in a barrel so I hesitate to make that assumption.

Thanks for your advice/experience.

post-18709-1255292615_thumb.jpg

post-18709-1255292626_thumb.jpg

Edited by belus

Hard to tell what that is. I clean mine with a choreboy and then JB BorePaste till is shines like a mirror. When its that clean you will be able to see any imperfections in the rifling. :surprise:

4000 rounds sounds like a start, and solo isn't hot like titegroup so unless its just a bad barrel you should be ok.

Use the copper choreboy it won't hurt the barrel. Stay away from radical chemicals that can cause pitting.

Dont worry thats moly. I've shot tens of thousands of Precision black bullets (basically the same type of bullet)

and have seen the same thing in my barrel. Dont try to clean it all out either, just do your regular cleaning,

keep shooting, and stop looking in the barrel. Do a real cleaning once every 5-10k or every fall, or whatever you

want, just dont try to clean that stuff out everytime you clean your gun. You will destroy your barrel ...

I agree with P.Pres. I have shot over eight thousand rounds of 158gr RN through a 686 frame custom revolver with a Shelen barrel. It goes through several hundred rounds of these Bear Creek Molly bullets before any cleaning. When I do clean the barrel it is with the usual solvent on a patch, no bore brush. It gets the look you have identified and does not get any worse after a couple hundred rounds. It does not affect the accuracy either. The cylinder gets regular cleaning as you would expect.

I have shot very few of the Molly bullets in the Glock factory barrels however.

+1 to whatthe guys have already said, its normal leading/moly deposits, wont hurt a thing.... you want leading??? mistakinly run some really soft speer lead 38's at 357 magnum velocites, 6 strokes w/ a lewis lead remover and i could have made a new bulletfrom what i got out ofthat poor barrel...

Thanks everyone. It cleaned up pretty easily with a couple patches.

I didn't notice any change in accuracy through the match so I was surprised by what I saw in the barrel. If it had just been streaks I would have shrugged it off, but I've never seen flakes like that before.

Read what Wil Scheuman has to say about cleaning barrels on his website.

Is this what you were referring to?

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod

to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very

slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with

a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with

more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

Taken from: http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fi...=67&mid=445

Read what Wil Scheuman has to say about cleaning barrels on his website.

Is this what you were referring to?

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod

to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very

slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with

a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with

more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

Taken from: http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fi...=67&mid=445

I'm fairly positive he is talking about jacketed bullets. With lead/molly you can get a dangerously undersized bore from leading.