Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Pistols

gunracer38

I have had two Caspian Open Guns. The first one was built by EGW,George Smith. It never jamed when I was using it many years ago. I had another one built by a local Gunsmith? It was a nightmare. It was also sent to EGW who repaired it and finally got it working. I like the Caspian lower frame and the slide.

What I dont like are the magazines. I had 17 mags which I had to tune all of them. At this time all my comp guns are STI Frames.

I picked up a used caspian in 38SC that EGW did for my son. It came with 8 mags and although the slide to frame fit isn't as tight as my STI this thing runs and shoots well. Maybe I got lucky because all the mags run well and they aren't the prettiest. Now if I could get my 12 year old to join me at matches more than just once every other month I would be very happy with this purchase. Maybe in time.

Hmm... I must have gotten lucky. I have 2 caspians that run and run and run. Had them both rebareled from 38sc to 9mm major. Never had to touch the mags... I agree though they aren't pretty. I keep hoping they do for the 9/38 super mags what they have done for the 40 mags (which are very nice).

:surprise:

Eaa sells TZ mags made by the same folks that make the 40 (NEW) Caspian mags= You can take these

TZ mags form the tops like a caspian mag, put Caspian`s slick base pad on them, do a little tweeking

and you have a great mag for 9mm/38 Super type rounds.

Ive been using this type of set up way before Caspian came out with their new mag, which is a really

nice set up with a lot variables like other mags.

My limited 40 is the older style frame with the round trigger guard =its so old its growing white hair like me :roflol:

Dont move the mag catch hole/ fix it so your mag catch fits in the slot .

Jim/Pa :)

Hmm... I must have gotten lucky. I have 2 caspians that run and run and run. Had them both rebareled from 38sc to 9mm major. Never had to touch the mags... I agree though they aren't pretty. I keep hoping they do for the 9/38 super mags what they have done for the 40 mags (which are very nice).

call Gary, he has the ACT manufactured mags for the Caspian Hi-CAp with the cool basepad.

Alan

:surprise:

Caspian ambi safeties that come with the High cap frame are pretty nice,most 1911 style internals

will work, I usuallyt use Egw internals.

Alan said in another post that Caspian has new mags with their slick base pads for the 38 super

anyway thats what I think he was saying. I didnt know this if it is so.Ive tryed to use Caspian stuff for my guns for a lot

of years. I feel they are the best platform out their.And they are really good folks,Gary is a prince of a fella.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::)

I was looking through Brownells and seem Caspian parts. Do any 1911 or 2011 parts fit in the Caspian, like the ambi safety.

Flyin

the frame comes with mainspring housing, trigger, grip tape, ambi and grip safeties, those, plus the mags are unique to the frame, the rest of the internals are basic 1911 parts.

I've got a friend who built a Caspian Hi-Cap for his son as an open gun and he uses STI mags. And mine work in his gun too. My big stick is the only one that won't work in his gun.

I would like to see pics.

the Caspian Hi-Cap uses a narrower mag than the S_I frames

Alan

The Caspian frame fits great in the hand, you can do front and back strap treatments that will shorten the the front to back measurement if needed. I use the King's ambi, it requires a mod to both parts. They have a longer and more durable life span compared to the factory set. The trigger bow can and needs to be improved. I'm working on a new magwell for the frame that will be an improvement to the current choices. Both the factory and Tanfoglio tubes are good quality, some of the Pro Mag/ Craig tubes can be a problem. The newer run frames are thicker in the dust cover area for better scope mount attachment.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a friend who built a Caspian Hi-Cap for his son as an open gun and he uses STI mags. And mine work in his gun too. My big stick is the only one that won't work in his gun.

Hi,

maybe you saw a para frame..usually caspian mags are narrower