Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver speed loaders: Comp II or Comp III?

ben b.

Comp II or Comp III for a newby revo guy?

Thanks for the info,

Ben

As cheap as they are buy a few of each and try them out. Later you can sell the type you don't like. I use the III's on my belt and keep two II's as my load and make ready holder. I've seen another brand that I make look at soon as I figure out what my goals are in this sport. I'd like to try the ones that Bones uses.

Comp-IIIs. The Comp-IIIs are springloaded, all you have to do is push the loader home and the cartridges automatically eject into the chambers. With Comp-IIs you have to depress the little button on top. The Comp-IIIs save you the motions necessary to do that. Also the "handle" on the Comp-IIIs gives you a lot more to grab onto to swiftly manipulate the loader.

Comp-IIIs. The Comp-IIIs are springloaded, all you have to do is push the loader home and the cartridges automatically eject into the chambers. With Comp-IIs you have to depress the little button on top. The Comp-IIIs save you the motions necessary to do that. Also the "handle" on the Comp-IIIs gives you a lot more to grab onto to swiftly manipulate the loader.

Also with the Comp III you can put grip tape on the shaft. I saw one of the guys from the Trinidad team at the IDPA nationals with grip tape on the shaft and sides. He could reload pretty darn fast without finger slippage.

Definitely Comp III's over the Comp II's. The longer handle and better springs make them easier to load with in a hurry. Jetloader is another viable option. I don't have any personal experience with them, but know a couple of shooters who prefer them over the Comp III's.

Jetloader is another viable option. I don't have any personal experience with them, but know a couple of shooters who prefer them over the Comp III's.

+1 on Jetloader. I prefer them over Comp IIIs

I have both and prefer the Comp-IIIs. The handle on the Comp-IIIs is considerably longer and fatter, and gives more to grab during a load. My $0.02. :)

III's for me, for this and all the other reasons mentioned :cheers:

I use both the Comp III and the Jetloader. I like the Jetloader because it's a more positive release. While the handle isn't as long as the Comp III, the grooves in the knob help get a good grip. Both types have been "Bubberized"

Jerry

• 1 month later...
What does "Bubberized" mean?

the cups have been cut down and a couple other things.....

I can't find the original post (again) for the 'Bubberized" thread, but if anyone can use another method to 'Bubberize' the Comp-III's, you can try this:

"How To 'Bubberize' Comp-III Speedloaders By The HiPowering :P Along Method" .

I thought ahead enough when doing mine to get some good clear pictures - hope it helps!

Oh, yea - hi, Matt! :D

What does "Bubberized" mean?

the cups have been cut down and a couple other things.....

I can't find the original post (again) for the 'Bubberized" thread, but if anyone can use another method to 'Bubberize' the Comp-III's, you can try this:

"How To 'Bubberize' Comp-III Speedloaders By The HiPowering :P Along Method" .

I thought ahead enough when doing mine to get some good clear pictures - hope it helps!

Oh, yea - hi, Matt! :D

Hello Cindy.... is it COLD there yet LOL.... I just got done cutting down my III's and ended up with melted plastic all over the walls, ceiling and my face using the dremel method. Wife was not pleased LOL....

I just got done cutting down my III's and ended up with melted plastic all over the walls, ceiling and my face using the dremel method. Wife was not pleased LOL....

You're not supposed to do them in the living room. :surprise:

Do them in the reloading room where your wife won't clean anyway. :roflol::cheers:

I just got done cutting down my III's and ended up with melted plastic all over the walls, ceiling and my face using the dremel method. Wife was not pleased LOL....

You're not supposed to do them in the living room. :surprise:

Do them in the reloading room where your wife won't clean anyway. :roflol::cheers:

But then I can't watch the flatscreen Bill.... :blush:

Other than the cutting of the Comp IIIs does anyone fill in the hole that goes into the ejector? Is it a big difference? I wonder how much shaving them down matters as well... I guess I should do some searching...

For the hole on the Comp III's just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a 1/4 X 20 nylon screw or bolt and just jam it down in the hole and cut flush with a razor blade. You can stuff a little epoxy in the hole with a toothpick if you like but I never had any fall out just by pushing the in. Just buy a screw long enough to do as many loaders as you have.

Edited by Gregg K

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go in a slightly different direction in answering the OP's query: "It depends." If you use IDPA as an analog experience with what you'd actually, I'd suggest the Comp II speedloaders, given their smaller size/ease of carry when carrying concealed. If you're just interested in gaming and using the tool for the fastest possible reload, the the Comp III is probably the ideal solution.

Incidentally, the Comp II (nor, for that matter, the Comp I) does not require pushing a button to achieve cartridge release into the revolver's cylinder, as was mentioned earlier in this thread-the speedloader's spring loaded ratchet automatically releases the cartridges when pressed with sufficient pressure against the revolver's ejector star ratchet.

However, I also strongly suggest taking a hard look at HKS speedloaders; in my experience they're similar in size to the Safariland Comp II, and are more durable in the long run. Yes, they do require an additional twisting motion to release the cartridges into the chamber, but that is not all that intrinsically difficult or time-consuming to accomplish. I prefer to err on the side of durability/reliability in my choice of speedloaders (particularly for carry).

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

I have never been able to understand the attitude that the Comp-III is too big for concealed carry, even among people who will cheerfully carry multiple pistol magazines concealed that are overall larger than the Comp-III. Granted the Comp-IIIs are a bit "fatter" around than most auto pistol magazines, but so are the Comp-IIs and HKSes, as well. If I can carry a Glock 17/34 mag concealed, I can carry a Comp-III.

Admittedly, with speedloaders you do have an option we don't have with auto pistol magazines: you can carry something considerably shorter and it'll still work. But when I carried a 3" barreled Smith & Wesson Model 13 as my daily concealment gun, my speedloaders were Comp-IIIs and I never had a problem hiding them.

Personally I think it's the resemblance to a World War II German potato masher grenade that people just can't get past. :)