Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heading to Arizona for a week!

My fellow partner in crime and I are heading to Arizona for 9 days. Leaving this Saturday AM. I fell in love with Arizona several years back when I first went there for a Babes with Bullets camp. I've since gone back several times. This year we're just going for R&R. We'll be staying in the Mesa area for 7 days and then going to Sedona for the last 2 days. But it just won't seem right to go and not do any shooting! We'll have a rental car so we're open to travelling almost any distance! Any one have any suggestions for any local ranges where we could go and shoot or maybe even do a match? We'll need to be able to rent gear as we're not carrying anything with us. Even a class would be great if anyone knows of any being held next week.

Thanks for any info!

Donna

Kimmie - If you're really really lucky you might be able to get a personal audience with Lord Enos of Forum.

Awwww - don't I wish! I don't have that kinda luck! But it's nice to dream!

Rio Salado range in Mesa. Rio Salado A lot of members on this site are in the area, they have matches 3-4 times a week. Probably can borrow guns. Going to Az -you can easily take your own gun. Shooting Mecca of the World! Great vacation idea!

Will check that out! That's where the Area 2 match is held, yes? Unfortunately, probably won't have any extra space in my luggage for my gear. Oh well.

When I use to travel to AZ for business, I would always plan my schedule to be in Phoenix area on Tuesday night. The Tuesday Night Steel @ Rio should not be missed. I always drove so taking a gun was not a problem but I'd go through the hassle of the TSA if I was you.

Donna,

Rio is the epicenter of the practical shooting universe. Every Tuesday night there are upwards of 250 to 300 people shooting Tuesday Night Steel which is kind of a blended SC and USPSA event. All steel targets but set up like fairly simple USPSA courses. Its a hoot and goes on into the night under the lights. Figure 2-3 hours to shoot 4-5 stages. TGO shoots out there almost every week (he shoots early if you want to see him shoot).

Most weekends there are matches both Saturday and Sunday. Here is a link to the calender. http://riosaladosportsmans.com/calendar/month.php

pm me if there is anything I can do to help you out during your visit.

Rick

edited to add btw what to you normally shoot?

Edited by Neomet

Donna,

Rio is the epicenter of the practical shooting universe. Every Tuesday night there are upwards of 250 to 300 people shooting Tuesday Night Steel which is kind of a blended SC and USPSA event. All steel targets but set up like fairly simple USPSA courses. Its a hoot and goes on into the night under the lights. Figure 2-3 hours to shoot 4-5 stages. TGO shoots out there almost every week (he shoots early if you want to see him shoot).

Most weekends there are matches both Saturday and Sunday. Here is a link to the calender. http://riosaladosportsmans.com/calendar/month.php

pm me if there is anything I can do to help you out during your visit.

Rick

edited to add btw what to you normally shoot?

Oh my. This sounds soooo good. I may have to rearrange things in my suitcase! But, if nothing else, I may just go to at least watch! I'd love to be able to meet some of the folks I've talked to on here!

For years I shot limited 10 - S&W 1911dk. Last year I saw a BEAUTIFUL limited Briley SVI on here and I had to have it. Sooooo, limited, 40caliber. But I'm still so new with it, I still have to fight dropping my mags after 10 rounds!

And thanks for the offer of help! Where can I learn to line dance???!!!!!

Donna

Oh my. This sounds soooo good. I may have to rearrange things in my suitcase! But, if nothing else, I may just go to at least watch! I'd love to be able to meet some of the folks I've talked to on here!

For years I shot limited 10 - S&W 1911dk. Last year I saw a BEAUTIFUL limited Briley SVI on here and I had to have it. Sooooo, limited, 40caliber. But I'm still so new with it, I still have to fight dropping my mags after 10 rounds!

Donna

Shooters don't watch... shooters shoot! :-) Rearrange that suitcase! I'm a lefty Open shooter but heck, you can UPS me your gear, use it while you are here then UPS it home after you are done. Either way let me know which matches you are going to and I'll be glad to get you squared away. First rule is not to mind Jasmap. We are open minded here and don't consider it a competitive advantage that he wears a tu-tu and pink slippers as range gear. :rolleyes:

Remember -

11lb ammo limit

50lb limit before overweight luggage charge

AZ recognizes MA CCW's

AZ law specifically states that being a non-resident of AZ is a defense against the charge of carry in an alcohol licensed establishment in violation of the sign (yes, really)

If you're really nice the folks at Dillon might give you a tour.

The redrock and tacos in Sedona a great, but be careful about the psycobabble that abounds. Sedona seems to have a strong attraction for self styled psychics, gurus, spiritualists and other outworldly sorts.

Remember -

11lb ammo limit

50lb limit before overweight luggage charge

AZ recognizes MA CCW's

AZ law specifically states that being a non-resident of AZ is a defense against the charge of carry in an alcohol licensed establishment in violation of the sign (yes, really)

If you're really nice the folks at Dillon might give you a tour.

The redrock and tacos in Sedona a great, but be careful about the psycobabble that abounds. Sedona seems to have a strong attraction for self styled psychics, gurus, spiritualists and other outworldly sorts.

So I can drink and gun???? Well, I really don't drink but since I want to learn to line dance - I can at least protect myself from the drunken cowboys!

I did the Pink Jeep tour a few years back through the red rocks. I think my driver was drunk! I screamed the whole time as he pretended to drive off the cliffs and then drive down rocks at a 45 degree angle!

*Dillon is definately on my list of places to go. Is there another place there also? Shooters Connection maybe??

Edited by kimmie

Scottsdale Gun Club is probably the premier indoor range in the country if you want to check them out. They are about 10 min from Dillon and if you are in the mood you can rent a M249 to shoot for a bit.

Donna

Shooters don't watch... shooters shoot! :-) Rearrange that suitcase! I'm a lefty Open shooter but heck, you can UPS me your gear, use it while you are here then UPS it home after you are done. Either way let me know which matches you are going to and I'll be glad to get you squared away. First rule is not to mind Jasmap. We are open minded here and don't consider it a competitive advantage that he wears a tu-tu and pink slippers as range gear. :rolleyes:

I just saw this....... :surprise:

Donna

I just saw this....... :surprise:

Nyahahaha....i would pay good money to see Jasmap in that outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's amazing how fast time flies when you're having fun! Our Arizona adventure has come and gone! It was gorgeous -- 90+ degrees. Sunny EVERY day. When we left on Saturday, it was 100+, which was hot for this time of year even for the native Arizonians. Neomet - sorry I couldn't get to meet you! We drove by the club on Monday afternoon just so I could say I'd seen it and been there. Wayyyyyy impressive! Made me really regret not bringing my gear! But we did get to hang out at Dillon for a bit. They're just as nice in person as they are on the phone when I call in a panic over something going on with my 550!

We headed to Sedona for a couple of days of red rocks and metaphysical babble - yes Rob - you only have to be there for a couple of days to qualify as a psychic. psycho??? Anyway......

And we got to have a great dinner with Dan and Kathie S - hey - we should do that here in Massachusetts some time!

Can't wait to go back!

Donna

post-11202-1256063790_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Donna,

Glad you had a great time out here in the valley of the shooters, uh I mean sun. Sorry I missed you as well. Next time bring the gear and you can do some shooting with us instead of hearing about vortexes and the power of crystal pyramids. LOL. Sedona is really a beautiful place.

Rick