Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you really must order from the internet, give 1-800-contacts a check. But IMO, just skip the whole internet thing and call your eye doc. I wear Acuvue Oasys and Oasys for astigmatism and my Doctor is cheaper than ANY of the internet order companies.

If you really must order from the internet, give 1-800-contacts a check. But IMO, just skip the whole internet thing and call your eye doc. I wear Acuvue Oasys and Oasys for astigmatism and my Doctor is cheaper than ANY of the internet order companies.

+1

My Dr. beat every price I found online. Personally I avoid 1-800 after having dealt with them, but YMMV.

Edited by Precision40

+1

My Dr. beat every price I found online. Personally I avoid 1-800 after having dealt with them, but YMMV.

coincidentally we just ordered lenses for my wife and me from lens.com

prices are reasonable and I just can't find the time to go to the eye doctor and get examined (they always want to dilate you which I DEFINITELY don't have time for). Click, click and shipped to my door. Much easier.

+1

coincidentally we just ordered lenses for my wife and me from lens.com

prices are reasonable and I just can't find the time to go to the eye doctor and get examined (they always want to dilate you which I DEFINITELY don't have time for). Click, click and shipped to my door. Much easier.

Any company you order from should be verifying your prescription with your doctor. You order, they fax a form to your doctor that they have to fill out and return within 24 hours (or do nothing with if your prescription is valid) and then send you the lenses. Most contact lens prescriptions are good for one year. If it's been longer than that, your doctor will send the form back telling the company that your prescription is no longer valid. If that's the case you'll either get a call / e-mail telling you they can't send you lenses or they just won't do anything. At least that's how it is here in Ohio, or should be. Some of the "shady" internet companies don't care about your eye health and will just send you lenses. :sick: They just want your money. :angry2:

I'm going to talk to my Dr office, again. I had asked them about getting lenses but never got an answer. The person who takes care of that has about 15 other more important things to do (my words) and it's difficult to get anything from her.

After looking at several different sites, they seem to all break down into two price points. In fact, I am pretty sure that several of the places I looked at were all the same company operating different store fronts to increase the appearance that their prices are competitive (something which a certain gun parts store does). I did find one company with lower prices (WebEyeCare) but cannot order from them as they don't do business with Delaware - something which sets off all kinds of alarms in my brain.

-------------------

Addendum: I should have expected this but when I did get hold of someone at the Dr's office, they gave me a price on lenses that is double what I can get them for over the internet. Of course, there would be shipping with the internet price so lets just be generous and say that they would be over 50% more.

Edited by Graham Smith

I get mine at Costco. They match or beat the online outfits I've checked, and periodically run specials which make their prices even more attractive. My family's Rx's are special order either way, and the wait isn't any different. Going to P/U the lenses isn't a problem when I go to Costco regularly (besides, I almost never use my home address for deliveries of any kind).

I bought contacts for years over the internet with no issues. Over the last 5 years, I have found equal or better prices at WALMART or the AAFES system at the PX/BX if you can access the military bases. All my contacts the last 5 years have been through the AAFES system at the base.

I bought contacts for years over the internet with no issues. Over the last 5 years, I have found equal or better prices at WALMART or the AAFES system at the PX/BX if you can access the military bases. All my contacts the last 5 years have been through the AAFES system at the base.

Hells, bells, I never even thought of that. Time to check in with them.

I also use 1-800-contacts. To get an idea of the price difference, eye doc was $340 vs $199 from 1-800-contacts.

Holy smokes!!! :surprise: My doctor was actually $4.00 cheaper than 1-800-contacts!