Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting bumped up at a Level III match.

ANDYZ

Hi,

I am a B shooter and did fairly well at the Florida Sectional match. I won Production B, beat 1 A shooter and 2 out of 3 Master shooters. I won 3 out of 8 stages and was 96.5% from HOA Production. Would this be enough to request a bump to A class or do you think there wasn't enough shooters in the classes above me? I would say that I feel competitive with the A class shooters but just can't get my classifiers together!

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,

I am a B shooter and did fairly well at the Florida Sectional match. I won Production B, beat 1 A shooter and 2 out of 3 Master shooters. I won 3 out of 8 stages and was 96.5% from HOA Production. Would this be enough to request a bump to A class or do you think there wasn't enough shooters in the classes above me? I would say that I feel competitive with the A class shooters but just can't get my classifiers together!

Thanks,

Andy

There is a process for you to make such a request. From the "Classification System" section of the rulebook (just before the table of contents):

If you feel your classification is too low, you may request the next higher class,

up to but not including Grand Master. Requests are made in writing and submitted

with a letter from your club president or Section Coordinator (SC) endorsing

your request. If your request is approved, you will be moved up at the next regular

calculation period.

Per Appendix A2, you need 10 competitors per class per division before classes are recognized in a Level III match. Personally I don't see why that match was a Level III match. I thought that only Area 1-8 matches were considered Level III matches. Sectionals are usually Level II matches in my experience (and according to Appendix A1).

Regardless, good shooting Andy!

Thanks guys. I checked again, and this WAS a sanctioned section level III match.

I'll send an email to the Section Coordinator later to ask him (have to give him time to recover from putting on such a great match)!

From past experience at that match and others like it, they will not count the match as a classifier or move you up. There were not any GM's in the division to give you a base for the percentage you shot. Good job on your finish.

From past experience at that match and others like it, they will not count the match as a classifier or move you up. There were not any GM's in the division to give you a base for the percentage you shot. Good job on your finish.

Actually you have to have 3 GMs in the division for the match to count as a classifier.

As earlier noted, you can move up by peitition. Just write me a letter so requiesting and if your club president and section coordinator endorse it, I will pass it on the the real decision makers.

Charles

Actually you have to have 3 GMs in the division for the match to count as a classifier.

As earlier noted, you can move up by peitition. Just write me a letter so requiesting and if your club president and section coordinator endorse it, I will pass it on the the real decision makers.

Charles

I think that's how Jesse Abbate got to Master if I remember correctly, a win at the GA State Match in 2008 and a petition.

Charles

Not to shure about the three GM's. At Area 1 this year I won C class L-10 which was counted as one of my classifiers (70%ish). Only had 1 GM in the division.

Charles

Thanks! I'll write something up and see if I can get a sign-off!

Andy

Not to shure about the three GM's. At Area 1 this year I won C class L-10 which was counted as one of my classifiers (70%ish). Only had 1 GM in the division.

3 GMs in that division is only one of the requirements. As you pointed out there was only one GM.

Have you asked anyone at USPSA why this happened? I'm thinking there was an oversight on HQ's part.

3 GMs in that division is only one of the requirements. As you pointed out there was only one GM.

Have you asked anyone at USPSA why this happened? I'm thinking there was an oversight on HQ's part.

Trying to understand the classification system is about as easy as trying to understand women!

Just lean back and enjoy the ride (and pain ;))