Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Add Firefighters

Matt G

I think they are entitled to the same recognition as military and law enforcement.

Is what a firefighter does any less worthy than what they do?

Just thinking add them to the same class.

Yes very much so, a Fire fighter,/ civilian EMT's duty in no way compares to what soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen have done for this country. Not even in the same ballpark.

Unless you house is buring down with your kids trapped inside or you are bleeding out from internal injuries after wrapping your car around a tree...

OK, maybe not a special category in USPSA, but the guys who go out and do that job for free deserve respect.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we can get Jessie Abbate to compete in Kilt Div her legs are way better than any of ours.

You sir, have apparently not seen my legs :P

I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck on this. It's hard to imagine anything more important than protecting our nation's precious gynocological resources, and these guys put themselves on the front line every day.

From the little exposure to OB/GYN stuff I got workin in the ER, I can wholeheartedly agree that anyone who chooses to do that job every day puts more on the line than we can possibly imagine.

I'd be much more inclined to favor a dropping of all categories not based on age or gender than adding any.

Now, if some big time sponsor for the Nationals wanted to create a catagory and award a big ass trophy, check & prize to go along with it that would be OK.

What would you think if firefighters and EMS providers were added to the LE military sub-category. Maybe it could be changed to include all public safety personnel.

GSSF allows us all to shoot in guardian class against each other. FF, EMS, LE, Military etc.

Just curious what you guys think.

I do not have a problem allowing firefighters to shoot in law enforcement or military but I am not in favor of adding any additional category and do not see how the concept of a "subcategory" would do anything for our sport. Maybe what we should do is have a "public servant" category and lump military, law enforecemnt and welfare workers in one category. I have a local septic tank inspector who would love that since he usually spanks the local dog catcher anyway.

when it gets to 6+ pages then its properly stirred.
Then let me add this spoon.

In my lap is the curent NRA pistol rules for old school bullseye pistol shooting. The subclasses are ...

Civilian

Senior

Junior

Intermediate Junior

Sub-Junior

Police (with 5 sub paragraphs describing who actually qualifies)

National Guard

Regular Service

Reserve Components

College

School (with the following sub class)

- Military Scholastic

Guess what? Who cares. Having to make the choice of whether taking 3rd Military Scholastic or 1st Junior goes way beyond what our sport is about. You, the gun, the points. Beyond that its a moot point.

Yes the police have a certain skill, equipment, and training that the civilian doesn't have access to. Power to them. I can learn from them. Yes they should have a sub-catagory. Ladies, sure. It's good for the sport and shooting in general. Juniors? Absolutely. They are the future of the sport. Taking 3rd Gay-Ladies-Intermediate Junior-College does nothing for the sport except give the recipent a warm fuzzy. Dump that. Sorry firefighters and EMTs. I can't go there.

Firefighters should qualify as a seperate class, but only on hoser stages.

:roflol:

I've been in the game for three years (not long, I know) and have never recieved any recognition for being military. It always seems like its only Ladies who get recognition- a seperate debate- it should be mandatory for equal recognition of all the subcatergories that make the number.

It always seems like its only Ladies who get recognition- a seperate debate- it should be mandatory for equal recognition of all the subcatergories that make the number.

Good point!

And if there is NOT enough participation in a category, then it should not be recognized :ph34r:

Take, say, last year's USPSA 3-Gun Nationals...not enough "special" people to recognize the various left-handled turnip-twaddler catigories, but by Vishnu the "top lady" got called out...not just at the time, but in a regular series of advertisements featuring one competitor...

Funny, since no Division had enough ladies under A2/2 to be official ;)

Alex

2008 USPSA 3-Gun Nationals High Military (Open) <_<

I've long thought that LE and Military should ONLY apply to those shooting duty gear...

...and yes, I've competed with a M9 in a drop rig :cheers:

If we're going to have a military/LE category, I like the idea of those claiming Military/LE category shooting duty gear. After all, it would definitely be practical.

If the goal of a category is to encourage participation in our sport, we shouild have a teacher category (and no I am not one). While this has yet to work in Law Enfrocement or Military, maybe teachers would be more inclined to come out and particiapte.

If we want to protect the second amendment, we should have a category for judges and members of legislatures. So far USPSA has basically ignored the second amendment issues except to provide a game to use all of those dreaded black firearms.

On the other hand if the issue is shooting ability, why have any except based on perhaps age? I do not know any women who shoot that only shoot because there is a ladies category. On the other hand, I know a possee of older shooters who would stay at home but for the fact there is a senior and super senior award. But what this really tells us is that our ladies are shooting for all of the right reasons and deserve their own category.

Edited by Charles Bond

I think they are entitled to the same recognition as military and law enforcement.

Yes very much so, a Fire fighter,/ civilian EMT's duty in no way compares to what soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen have done for this country. Not even in the same ballpark.

+1...leo's either.

+2.

If you make your living in the emergency/public services field then I say thank you. If you think you deserve special recognition for doing so...I say get over yourself.

No one forced you to do what you do. We live in America (most of us) and you CHOOSE to do what you do. While I do say thank you and think you deserve some appreciation that appreciation ends when it crosses the line into a sense of entitlement.

It's like the guy at Subway acting all pissed off because he has to put extra pickeles on my 12" chicken breast on wheat. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, stand with some pride, and just put the damn pickles on my my sub please...

--Lanzo

*edited because I can't type...

Edited by Lanzo

+1...leo's either.

+2.

If you make your living in the emergency/public services field then I say thank you. If you think you deserve special recognition for doing so...I say get over yourself.

No one forced you to do what you do. We live in America (most of us) and you CHOOSE to do what you do. While I do say thank you and think you deserve some appreciation that appreciation ends when it crosses the line into a sense of entitlement.

It's like the guy at Subway acting all pissed off because he has to put extra pickeles on my 12" chicken breast on wheat. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, stand with some pride, and just put the damn pickles on my my sub please...

--Lanzo

Sorry you feel this way. No one showed entitlement in this thread. Are you trying to get the thread closed?

+1...leo's either.

+2.

--Lanzo

I asked for an end to to the comparative discussion Here. Since this apparently can't be discussed without going there, Closed.