Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Add Firefighters

Matt G

What would you think if firefighters and EMS providers were added to the LE military sub-category. Maybe it could be changed to include all public safety personnel.

GSSF allows us all to shoot in guardian class against each other. FF, EMS, LE, Military etc.

Just curious what you guys think.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about left handed carpenters who shoot revolvers and ride Harleys....

Seriously,

We have to many special categories already. It is a pain in the ass from a MD perspective to try to get trophies for all the "special people" already. If you want to do it on the local level where you have a bunch of EMS guys shooting already, fine have at it. I don't think we need anymore categories added to the list.

Just my .02.

Tom

5.2.8 Competitors deemed by the Match Director to be full-time law enforcement

officers with arrest powers or military personnel on current active

duty orders, may be entitled to use their duty holsters or similar holster

and related equipment when such equipment does not strictly satisfy

the equipment or other requirements of the declared Division. The

Range Master will remain the final authority in respect of the safety

and suitability of using such equipment at USPSA matches. The use of

such equipment, except as otherwise permitted in the rules, is restricted

to Level I matches only.

This only allows duty rigs at Level 1 matches. It doesn't define who.

I know firefighters and EMS don't fit in the category, just wondering why we can't add them into the mix.

Appendix A

3. Individual Categories:

Categories approved for individual recognition are as follows:

a. Lady

b. Junior Competitors under the age of 18 on the first day

of the match.

c. Senior Competitors over the age of 55 on the first day of

the match

d. Super Senior Competitors over the age of 65 on the first day of

the match.. A competitor over the age of 65 on the

first day of the match may enter Senior Category

only if Super Senior is unavailable.

e. Military Military personnel on current active duty orders.

f. Law Full-time law enforcement officers with arrest

powers.

How about add another one or add to an existing one, shouldn't they qualify for a special category like the others?

Guys I'm just throwing it out there not trying to make anyone mad.

I'm fine with that, as long as we're willing to add categories for all non-firearms professions.....

Carpenters, roofers, accountants, college professors, lawyers, gunsmiths, nurses, doctors, truck drivers, engineers, computer programmers, mechanics, merchants, cooks, writers, photographers, archeologists, etc..... :P :P

I think they are entitled to the same recognition as military and law enforcement.

Is what a firefighter does any less worthy than what they do?

Just thinking add them to the same class.

I think they are entitled to the same recognition as military and law enforcement.

The connection between recognizing Military and LE is that this sport was born of finding out what was the best technique to put rounds on target in a gunfight.

Firefighters and EMS have no connection to that. If you admire what they do, or think there profession is worthy of recognition then there are plenty of other folks who fall into that category, and I think it falls onto the slippery slope, as many above have indicated, that we already have plenty of ways to recognize competitors.

Are the efforts of a Hospice Nurse, a Special Education Teacher, a Single Mom/Dad, etc any less worthy than what they do?

Personally I feel very strongly that I want my shooting to be recognized (that recognizes my effort, my commitment, my skill). I really have no desire to have my profession recognized.

Edited by smokshwn

Following your logic, then only LE and military should have their own category and we can get rid of Lady, Junior, And Senior.

Since they have nothing to do with the tradition of who can put rounds on target in a gunfight.

Is there a reason FF/EMT's are in need of special recognition?
Do people acting in the capacity of firefighter and/or ems bring something special to our society, absolutely. That's why Glock has chosen to recognize those folks with a discount on firearms and their own category at GSSF shoots. Should USPSA follow suit? I don't think so. In fact, I think we should dump all special categories except junior.

FWIW, I have been involved in the emergency services for over 25 years. Most folks don't have a clue what we are all about. Sometimes I think emergency workers (especially volunteers) are just plain nuts. Why on earth would anyone give so selflessly to such a selfish society?

Edited by Ron Ankeny

The connection between recognizing Military and LE is that this sport was born of finding out what was the best technique to put rounds on target in a gunfight.

Firefighters and EMS have no connection to that. If you admire what they do, or think there profession is worthy of recognition then there are plenty of other folks who fall into that category, and I think it falls onto the slippery slope, as many above have indicated, that we already have plenty of ways to recognize competitors.

Are the efforts of a Hospice Nurse, a Special Education Teacher, a Single Mom/Dad, etc any less worthy than what they do?

Personally I feel very strongly that I want my shooting to be recognized (that recognizes my effort, my commitment, my skill). I really have no desire to have my profession recognized.

No disrespect to the previous posts. Seriously Craig, a Kilt catagory would be a great way to gain notority! You dont wear one for any other reason! You could be deamed Kilt National Champion. H! :roflol:

I could support a kilt category but I am a bit concerned over where they would start the measuring of your mag carriers.

Not to mention the scary thought of some of us going prone to shoot a low port.

A kilt division would have to have a mandatory undergarment rule attached and I'm not sure we could all agree on

an appropriate covering garment.

Following your logic, then only LE and military should have their own category and we can get rid of Lady, Junior, And Senior.

Since they have nothing to do with the tradition of who can put rounds on target in a gunfight.

Absolutely. You asked for peoples opinions, mine is that shooting be recognized, not professions, genders, age, etc. If your idea is that a profession get special recognition, then I simply pointed out that there are a whole helluva lot of professions that would be equally worthy of admiration.

Just as an aside, I am a professional Fireman/Paramedic and serve as a full member of our Sheriff's office SWAT team. I have plenty of admiration for the job I do and the career I chose. However, I am across the board philosophically opposed to continually adding to the number of categories until we are at a stage of "everybody gets a trophy".

As to the National Kilt Champion idea.....I'll mull it over :D

Yes very much so, a Fire fighter,/ civilian EMT's duty in no way compares to what soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen have done for this country. Not even in the same ballpark.

Yes very much so, a Fire fighter,/ civilian EMT's duty in no way compares to what soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen have done for this country. Not even in the same ballpark.

+1...leo's either.