Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No primers in the primer seating cup.

I've been loading 9mm, for a couple of months on my 550, I love it.

I changed over to .45 today and everything went ok until I tried to prime a case. There was no primer in the primer seating cup.

I did put in the large primer magazine and I'm using the red large primer mag. orifice.

When I fill the large primer pickup tube and put the primers into the large primer magazine, the primers fall to the bottom.

When I take off the primer system and I can see a primer at the end of the primer magazine.

All parts are new. So I shouldn't need to clean them.

What am I missing? What do I need to do?

Thanks,

A.T.

I sometimes have something similar happen if I forget to raise the press all the way, which puts the cup immediately below the tube. The best I can figure is that sometimes a primer slips just far enough through the nipple to stop the cup from getting all the way back, but not far enough to drop.

Frustrating!

If you grab the back of the primer slide with your fingers and give it a little tug, can you get a primer?

If not-

On the manual page that shows the primer system (I am pretty sure it's page 4) there is a height listed for the primer slide/cup assembly. Measure yours and see if it's too tall. It a similar height to a 45ACP OAL, but I can't remember it right now.

I use a small smooth jawed vise to assemble mine, that spring is tough. If you don't get that pin that seats the primer in deep enough it will be too tall and hit that red cap, or it will tilt. This happened to me recently.

If so- tweak the rod that pushes the slide back.

If you removed the primer cup and punch to swap sizes, please don't. Unbolt the primer feed from the frame and exchange slide assemblies. Check the height of the cup & punch in the slide, specs are in the manual, but from the underside of the primer slide bar to the top of the cup should be 1.215"-1.220".

Otherwise, phone Dillon when you can be in front of the machine for assistance. :ph34r:

For future visitors to this thead:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

#7 a. was what I should have done when changing to .45. It was NOT pushed all the way down.

Cases are not getting primers

1. Dillon recommends standing up in front of the machine while operating it

2. Be sure to have the machine mounted on a solid surface. If the bench moves or flexes this may result in priming problems. Again, be sure to be standing up to operate the machine

3. Magazine tube (part # 13471 or 13510) is empty

a. see the RL 550B instruction manual for instructions on filling the magazine tube

4. Using the wrong size primer for the caliber being loaded

a. consult a loading or powder manual for the correct primer size for the desired caliber

5. Wrong magazine tip (part # 574S or 574L) or magazine tube (part # 534S or part # 534L)

a. the machine comes with a small and a large tube. The tip is blue for the small magazine tube and red for the large magazine tube

6. Magazine tip (part # 574S or 574L) is not completely on the magazine tube (part # 534S or 534L)

7. Magazine tip (part # 574S or 574L) is not seated fully in the keyway slot

a. drop the tube and the tip into the primer housing and turn until you feel it drop into the keyway slot, then push down all of the way

8. Primer cup (part # 525S or 525L) is upside down or is the wrong size

a. the primer cup is gold for the small primers and silver for the large primers 9. Primer seating punch (part # 524S or 524L) is the wrong size

a. one seating punch is small and the other is large

10. Primer seating punch (part # 524S or 524L) is not compressed and locked properly in place

a. partially rotate the shellplate so that it covers the primer hole in the platform. Loosen the primer set screw about 1/4 turn. Leave the wrench in the set screw and push forward on the handle. Lastly, tighten the primer set screw

11. Primer adjustment screw (part # 500) needs calibrating

a. primer cup (part # 525S or 525L) must be directly under the magazine tip (part # 574S or 574L) when the handle is pulled down all of the way. Adjust the primer adjustment screw by turning in 1/8" increments until the primers drop properly

12. Primers are stuck in the magazine tube (part #534S or #534L)

a. Do not try to force primers out of the magazine tube. Dispose of the tube safely

b. spray lube inside the tube and tape both ends. Dispose of the tube safely

c. E-mail or call Dillon for a replacement. Phone 1-800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009

13. If you are still having difficulty, please E-mail Dillon's Technical Support Staff or call 1-800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009

The "operating rod" on my new RL550 wasn't bent correctly from the factory so it didn't push the primer slide all the way back to pick up a primer. It took me a moment to figure out what was going on (no primer in the cup), but a little judicious work with a vise-grip and it works great now. And by the way, primers kept sticking in the primer magazine tube until I cleaned it out with alcohol and a small tube brush. As far as I know this is a new system so I don't know why the tube should have been dirty, but it was. Now if I can just figure out why the powder measure is dumping powder all over I will be as happy as a pig in s....

(I'm actually very happy with the press. I've loaded pistol ammo on two SDB's for years, and wouldn't buy anything but a Dillon. Seems like there might be some QC issues with this 550 though.)

On powder dumping problem, need more data: What caliber? What powder? Any powder on top of the toolhead?

Dillon keeps giving the BEST Customer Service, I've ever seen. :cheers:

I'm so glad I purchased a 550 from brian.

A.T.

On powder dumping problem, need more data: What caliber? What powder? Any powder on top of the toolhead?

This should probably be in my previous topic, but: .308; Ramshot TAC (a very fine ball powder); and I don't think there was any powder on the toolhead; it was falling out in a shower all over the shellplate and bench. It didn't make any difference how long I paused with the ram in the up position (I realize it takes awhile to dump all 45 grains of powder). Dillon recommended earlier to work the handle slower, but I haven't had a chance to work on this problem for a week or so.