Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine capacity

olp73

I have asked this question before but this time I am making my own post :D . Is it possible to get more than 18 rounds reloadable in an SVI BOX LEGAL mag?? If anyone has done this I like to hear about it!! What is your secret!! :rolleyes:

I have 18 rounds now in 5 mags using only SVI components. If I want more, I have to use some other kind of mag body, right? SPS or RHT rescomp. Out of curiosity I wonder why do you get more rounds in those tubes? Are they fatter, stack the rounds differently, longer, all of the above?

Is there any combination of components that has proven to give higher capacity? For example the most roomy base pad?

Edited by olp73

The highest "untuned" capacity combo out there right would be a Rescomp

tube with Bolen guts. The problem is that these tubes and also the SPS tubes are so

thin they can change shape as they hit the ground. So when they work they

work awsome. ;) They have more capacity because the followers and the housings

are thinner. My buddies 140mm Rescomp held 22 "reloadable" but since it hit the

ground a few times it's now 21 reloadable, get it !! :wacko:

Of course I'm talking USPSA Limited division here, but the components mentioned should still

apply to max capacity ..

Edited by P.Pres

I don't shoot IPSC Standard Division but it is my understanding that 18 is about as good as it gets and still fit in the box. I know there were some rumored 19 round mags that folks had massaged themselves, but it sounded more like they had gotten lucky with components rather than something that could be done repeatedly.

I do know that a member here Eric Stanley (Dirtypool 40) used to have the skinny on box legal mags. Maybe you could send him a PM.

With Canada losing the box exemption for magazines this year in Standard (Max capacity in Canada is 10 rounds, so we had an exemption allowing 140mm mags) I've been learning all about what fits and what doesn't :-)

Just because a mag base says IPSC box legal, doesn't mean it will be on your gun. Rear sight installation, and barrel length are two very important factors. If you have mags that will go into the gun with 18 rounds and fit in the box that's awesome. 19 I would like to see...

With Canada losing the box exemption for magazines this year in Standard (Max capacity in Canada is 10 rounds, so we had an exemption allowing 140mm mags) I've been learning all about what fits and what doesn't :-)

Just because a mag base says IPSC box legal, doesn't mean it will be on your gun. Rear sight installation, and barrel length are two very important factors. If you have mags that will go into the gun with 18 rounds and fit in the box that's awesome. 19 I would like to see...

Here you are!! But like I said, it is with SPS tubes. I can't imagen Skywalker is bullshiting!!

http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/index.php?sho...l=svi+magazines

Edited by olp73

I have asked this question before but this time I am making my own post :D . Is it possible to get more than 18 rounds reloadable in an SVI BOX LEGAL mag?? If anyone has done this I like to hear about it!! What is your secret!! :rolleyes:

I have 18 rounds now in 5 mags using only SVI components. If I want more, I have to use some other kind of mag body, right? SPS or RHT rescomp. Out of curiosity I wonder why do you get more rounds in those tubes? Are they fatter, stack the rounds differently, longer, all of the above?

Is there any combination of components that has proven to give higher capacity? For example the most roomy base pad?

The SPS mags with proper internals will encrease your capacity as stated. Be aware they are not compatable with some of the long AOL's we load in.40

There are some mags that allows 19 rounds.

There is another thread around talking about it : http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67596

To be short :

Brazilian mags, they are hard to find but they can take 19 easily, some of them 20 (Like Greg Midgley's).

Rescomp 126mm with Schuwiduu/DAA base pads and Bolen or Gram's guts can take 19s.

I'm working on a 138mm Rescomp tube cut to length with SV internals and it holds 19.

On all SV mags i have, all have Bolen guts with +2 SV pads and they are tight 19s, I download them to 18.

We are still waiting for Bolen to release its 10 coils springs which should give some extra room.

I have a bunch of SV mags, with Beven followers, springs, and base pads. Also some with Dawson base pads. One with a Bolen and one with the new SV base pads. I have not modified the followers or springs. The Bolen is 20 rounds reloadable. One each with a Dawson and Grams base pad is 20 rounds non-loadable. All the others are an easy 19. If I clipped the spring, I would get 20 reloadable in them all.

I talked with several SV Team members, they all have at least one mag that holds 21. This might entail modifying the follower a little. You might consider a 45 tube with modified feed lips.

I thought this years nationals had some 22 round stages. It seemed silly to have one more shot than most SV/STI mags but on the money with a Para mag. I am a firm believer in more rounds downrange equals more fun. I would have preferred more 24-27 round stages with quite a few 32 round stages. But this is adrift.

Hey guys...not trying to be a dickhead but the OP is asking about IPSC Box Legal mags. These are not the 140mm mags we are used to discussing here in the states. It will probably be very helpful to the OP if we don't discuss 140mm mag capacity in this thread.

There are some mags that allows 19 rounds.

There is another thread around talking about it : http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67596

To be short :

Brazilian mags, they are hard to find but they can take 19 easily, some of them 20 (Like Greg Midgley's).

Rescomp 126mm with Schuwiduu/DAA base pads and Bolen or Gram's guts can take 19s.

I'm working on a 138mm Rescomp tube cut to length with SV internals and it holds 19.

On all SV mags i have, all have Bolen guts with +2 SV pads and they are tight 19s, I download them to 18.

We are still waiting for Bolen to release its 10 coils springs which should give some extra room.

….that's right I am asking about IPSC BOX LEGAL mags.

I have heard a lot about Bolen and this mystery man in Brazil. Do they have a webpage or does someone have some kind of contact information? Maybe we could ask Bolen when he plans to release his 10 coil spring?

So, given the right components and a little luck it is possible to get 19 in an SVI body? Great!! Thanks for the tips regarding DAA pads,…….but this Schuwiduu I haven’t even heard of before. Do they have a web page/online shop?

Hello: I wonder if the Grams 4mm base pad on your 126mm tubes would do it? You may have to angle the base pad a bit to fit the box. On a side note I use SVI 45 mags with Dawson followers and can get more in those tubes. Thanks, Eric

On my edge currently, with stock rear sight and trimmed barrel. At the front of an SV tube, I can have approx .120 lower than the mag tube to fit in the box. At the back of the mag it's approx .375 to fit.

Edited by markwilliston

Hello: I wonder if the Grams 4mm base pad on your 126mm tubes would do it? You may have to angle the base pad a bit to fit the box. On a side note I use SVI 45 mags with Dawson followers and can get more in those tubes. Thanks, Eric

On my edge currently, with stock rear sight and trimmed barrel. At the front of an SV tube, I can have approx .120 lower than the feed lips to fit in the box. At the back of the mag it's approx .375 to fit.

:wacko: I am sorry, I don't get this!!

Edited by olp73

On my edge currently, with stock rear sight and trimmed barrel. At the front of an SV tube, I can have approx .120 lower than the feed lips to fit in the box. At the back of the mag it's approx .375 to fit.

:wacko: I am sorry, I don't get this!!

Ooops, I didn't mean feed lips.... I meant that bottom of the tube....

I believe that the SPS mag tubes, Bolen followers, springs and basepads is your answer to higher capacity

I search SPS mag tubes and cam up with a source for DOCTOROPTICS.USA about $50/each. About what I expected to pay for these. There is not contact information other than an e-mail address and everything is Paypal. Is this a reputable Internet source? Kind of leery of certain sites and how ordering is done. Also with shipping cost....I would choose to obtain all components from one source. Any suggestions?

I was about to place an order with Dawson Precsion for Mag bodies...etc. This post was very timely! THANK!